IGNORED

mega st keyboard to mega ste?

majere

Can be used one mega st keyboard, in one mega ste?

Because I like it more. But I tried to write something, and it results in incomprensive letters. :(

Connected mouse works fine.

Here, I've always been able to swap keyboards between my Mega ST and Mega STe

with no problems.

Maybe check your cable, or connector? (silly question, the keyboard works

fine on what it originally came from?).

Here, I've always been able to swap keyboards between my Mega ST and Mega STe

with no problems.

Maybe check your cable, or connector? (silly question, the keyboard works

fine on what it originally came from?).

The keyboard works fine in the mega st. I´m thinking if the TOS (spanish or german),

has something to do with what happens?

(...in the near future I have to change German TOS by Spanish) ;)

Thanks anyway, and certainly when I have a little free time. I'll try the cable and connections. :thumbsup:

Check the schematics of both MST & MSTE.

I know that MST & TT keyboards are suppose to be compatible.

Not sure of the MSTE.

See if you can see the difference in wires.

For example the TT keyboard does not have a reset line.

The actual hardware is the same when you get down to the basics of it, in theory you could wire a Stacy keyboard to a Mega STe, but would you really want to bother?

It could be the cable or a slight issue with the plug not making a good contact in the socket. It should work fine, though remember that the keyboard was 'semi intelligent' and had its own dedicated processor, so the setting in that could also have something to do with it.

My TT has a Meta STe keyboard with it, my Mega STe also has a Mega STe keyboard and my Mega ST has a Mega ST keyboard, but other than one of the Mega STe keyboards being American and the other 2 UK, I have no issue swapping and changing between them.

Edited by AtariMusicNet

Yes, the seems to be compatible and interchangeable.

I interchange my STFM keyboard to my Falcon and TT, works great.

Just that I have no STE so do not want to say it's compatible just in case that 0.00001% chance it is not.

And true that bad contact is an issue for 15 year old hardware. My mouse port contact for one is one of them.

I even had the mouse wires breaking in the middle, so it the wire goes a particular angle it works.

All part and parcel of it. :roll:

The keyboard and the "CPU" (main board) should match language and nationality.

But I don't remember, and not sure (would need to check), if the consequences of mixing languages would produce the behavior you describe. So it's possible that you have an additional issue.

The reset line is absent on all these "detachable" keyboards, and present only on the "integrated" (ST/STe) keyboards.

Mega ST keyboard is hardware compatible with TT, then, I gather?

jeff

(Someone just decided to give me a Mega ST, like I need another piece of retro gear .. so now I will have when I get it, an ST, Mega ST, TT, Stacy, ST Book. Bloody hell.)

Edited by skeezix

Can be used one mega st keyboard, in one mega ste?

Because I like it more. But I tried to write something, and it results in incomprensive letters. :(

Connected mouse works fine.

If the mouse works fine like you say, then as the mouse uses the IKBD microcontroller chip, the cable and connectors just as much as the keyboard data does, these items must be okay... (he says ;) )

Do the keyboards have the same character set marked on them? Without going looking for the information, IIRC all the keyboards send the same "keycode" for the same key that is located in the same position on the keyboard. The operating system then converts this code to the "correct" character for the language in the TOS ROM chips.

So more information please...

Do the keyboards have the same character set marked on them? Without going looking for the information, IIRC all the keyboards send the same "keycode" for the same key that is located in the same position on the keyboard. The operating system then converts this code to the "correct" character for the language in the TOS ROM chips.

No. The characters are different depending on the language. Of course that most chars/keys are the same (they are QWERTY, after all), but not all of them. Same as the PC in this regard.

But TOS doesn't have full international support built-in. At least not in the older (ST) TOS version (1.X). Each TOS language version has specific support for each own set of special language keys.

• 4 weeks later...

The characters displayed are encoded to the particular language that the TOS is burned in the ROMs.

So to get proper British keyboard layout, you need British ROMs, American keyboard layout you need US ROMs.

Only Atari Falcon has international keyboard layout (only a few countries).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking for the 'ESC' key for a Mega ST keyboard as I got the computer minus that one key. If anyone has a dead mega ST keyboard for parts and can provide me with that one key I'd really appreciate it.

I have 2 STe and 2 STf models and the keys are certainly different to the Mega keyboard so they don't fit which is surprising with Atari being into reusability and all.