IGNORED

Ataroid - Atari 2600 emulation for Android

etschuetz

Ataroid at AppBrain

WiiMote Controller App at AppBrain

So, what is the point of posting those two links? Well I am not certain if the first app has ever been mentioned, but a new Emulator for the Android platform was released a couple months back. Ataroid. I recommend it to anyone with an Android phone. I have the Droid from Motorola and find it amazing. The second app link is for a WiiMote app. It lets you bluetooth a WiiMote to your phone....htc sense UI has an issue with it, but others don't seem to. I use it to use a Classic Controller Pro. It is AWESOME taking my Atari on the road with me.

Just thought I would through this out there. There is no 12 key pad support so far, so no Star Raiders.

I have installed it, along with some other emulators, on both my tablet and phone. The problem is that the touch screen controls just suck; you definitely want a real keyboard or a Wii remote.

Exactly. I can't get used to the touch screen controls, no matter how hard I try.

B

I am the guy who ported Droid800 and Droid2600 to Android. I have to agree, to a certain extent, that the experience isn't all that great. There's just not a lot you can do to make a touchscreen feel like the real deal - although I've recently tweaked paddle emulation on Droid2600 emulation so that movement follows your finger on the screen. Makes Kaboom pretty fun in IMO :-). If you try it out just remember to switch to "paddle" mode in the control panel. Anyone mention paddles to atariski btw?

On the other hand - I did these ports because I thought having an Atari in my pocket would be a fun novelty and (at the time) no one had done it yet.

I've often wondered why there are no cellphones with game-friendly Dpad and buttons.

Supposedly Sony is working to remedy that with a gaming-based Android phone. That being said, I traded in my HTC Hero, which ran Ataroid decently but not enough to extensively enjoy it. In its place I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone, and it seems to run the emulator fine, and even the touchscreen controls are serviceable for the emulator.

Touchscreen controls are certainly lacking compared to physical push-button controls. Maybe Sony's phone will remedy some of that.

I am the guy who ported Droid800 and Droid2600 to Android. I have to agree, to a certain extent, that the experience isn't all that great. There's just not a lot you can do to make a touchscreen feel like the real deal - although I've recently tweaked paddle emulation on Droid2600 emulation so that movement follows your finger on the screen. Makes Kaboom pretty fun in IMO :-). If you try it out just remember to switch to "paddle" mode in the control panel. Anyone mention paddles to atariski btw?

On the other hand - I did these ports because I thought having an Atari in my pocket would be a fun novelty and (at the time) no one had done it yet.

Oh no - did you get caught up in that $hit-storm of a thread? It took my several weeks but I did get the stubborn fool to admit paddles are good for Breakout :)

Nice work on the emulators BTW.

Oh no - did you get caught up in that $hit-storm of a thread? It took my several weeks but I did get the stubborn fool to admit paddles are good for Breakout :)

Nice work on the emulators BTW.

Oh man I thought I deleted that sentence before I posted - guess not :-)