IGNORED

New Colecovision game discovered! Cat S.O.S. game

Seaquest

Dont mean to stick my nose in this but does this fellow have an ADAM or know someone with an ADAM and if he was to get a copy of the cart on a tape or disk via Copycart+ or similar would this help?

Just a thought.

I put him in touch with someone in his area that has all the necessary equipment to get the cart dumped and converted to a PC rom file. So now it is just a matter of waiting and hoping!

• 1 month later...

Seaquest.....I am in the North Atlanta area and would love to assist the Coleco community in making a digital copy for distribution!!! I have the required hard/software!!!

He hasn't been on AtariAge since Jan. 15th, so it doesn't look good for getting it dumped! :sad:

I think the whole thing about the cart was more of a tease and bragging rights than having the thing dumped. There is also fear of the cart getting lost in transit, and lack of any financial gain to motivate him. So in his defense I really can't blame him.

Although I think it would be really cool to have this rare rom, the thing that makes it easier for me to accept is that the game is probably not much fun to play.

King Salamon offered to pay shipping and I messaged Steve (Mr. Atatimax) and he said he would dump it for him, I offered to pay round trip shipping too.

• 5 months later...

The Cat S.O.S game (Caterpillar scheduled oil sampling game)along with a colecovision was given to every cat dealership in 1983 to support the S.O.S. program. The customers would play it while waiting in the lobby. The game was made by the company Nuvatec. It was never sold commercially and could only be found exclusively in cat heavy equipment dealerships. My dad (who worked at cat) found that they were about to discard of both the game and the console so he saved it and gave it to me to add to my collection.

The game consists of a bulldozer that rides around and pushes dirt. Each dirt pile represents a "job". To keep from exploding you have to send in oil samples to the cat dealership ,then you will be told if the oil is good or bad. If you fail to do this occasionally your oil will go bad and your bulldozer will explode. To clean the oil you have to go to the cat dealership. The goal of the game is to make the most money from finishing "jobs".

I am pretty sure I have one of the last copys left in existinse. If anyone knows anything about the value or has any questions please send me a message. Thanks!

I have a friend that works for Caterpiller in Illinois, I think I will contact him and see if he can find out something about this.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I received some communication from CAT. Three different emails. They do not have any new info on it and i don't think they a copy themselves.

here is the last email i received today:

Hello Jon,

I was able to find out much of the same information about the game that was posted on the blog. Unfortunately we do not have a game available. If a game is re-created we would be very interested in seeing a sample of the game. Please keep me informed of the progress and if can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Thank you,

(name removed for privacy)

Retail Business Development

Caterpillar Inc.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I guess it would be a good idea to sell the previously "one and only known existing" cart of CAT: S.O.S. before the market gets flooded with them!!! :D

AND Jim, i can just imagine that you would volunteer to be willing to sacrifice yourself by purchasing the cart ....... just for the good of mankind, of course! :P

• 11 months later...

I received some communication from CAT. Three different emails. They do not have any new info on it and i don't think they a copy themselves.

here is the last email i received today:

Hello Jon,

I was able to find out much of the same information about the game that was posted on the blog. Unfortunately we do not have a game available. If a game is re-created we would be very interested in seeing a sample of the game. Please keep me informed of the progress and if can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Thank you,

(name removed for privacy)

Retail Business Development

Caterpillar Inc.

I work at Cat and did some poking around out of curiosity. I didn't find anything on the game, but I did find the game supplier, Nuvatec, in our supplier database. Here's a snippet.

Name: NUVATEC, INC.

*** TO BE DELETED ***

Address: *** NO BUS SINCE 12/31/89 ***

*** DO NOT MAIL ***

City: DOWNERS GROVE IL 60515

^ Interesting to see that in addition to all the work they did with Colecovision, the company holds a variety of different patents including this one:

http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4322073.html

Electronic game apparatus

Date Issued: March 30, 1982

A game apparatus is disclosed having a one-dimensional array of LED's which are sequentially activated in first and second sweep sequences which proceed toward first and second goal indicators, respectively. First and second buttons are provided which operate to reverse the first and second sequences, respectively, and the object of the game is for each player to operate his button before the appropriate sweep sequence causes his goal indicator to be activated. The rate of each sweep is variable and a player can select a higher sweep rate for his opponent by delaying his reaction until a relatively later time in the sweep sequence. The score is displayed on the same indicators as are used to play the game, and successively higher scores correspond in sequence to the sequence in which the indicators are activated during play.

Here's the rest of them: http://www.patentgenius.com/assignee/NuvatecInc.html

Edited by TPR