IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Back in business.

After some sleepless nights the BBS is up and running again. The userlog has been restored by combining the corrupted original with a corrupted (1 day old) back-up so nothing is lost in this part and it's up to date.

It now runs from a 4GB Flash Memory Card using a SCM PCD-50b card reader with modified firmware to make it a reader AND writer. Runs fine when connected to a slightly modified Black Box. A secondary SD card will be added as soon as I found a solution to easily make back-ups of all Black Box data (complete partitions, partition tables and configuration data).

If you notice anything weird (apart from the regular weirdness), leave me a detailed feedback on there.

More info on Thunderdome BBS.

Awesome job on the recovery! I'll try to log in later this evening.

Let's waste some space with pics.

Changing media...

Take an old (and damaged) SF314 external Atari ST disk drive:

2aep1ev.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

Remove the inner parts and replace with more recent stuff:

15wewpz.jpg

Add some switches and indicators:

14lr4ad.jpg

Dig out the required cables:

a3dxdu.jpg

And the result is a little box which fits 10 memory cards to serve two separate Atari 130XE's and only requires a single 5V power source to feed it. The lower device runs the BBS while the upper one is for none BBS usage.

v79klk.jpg

It's SCSI so it can be connected to any SCSI I/SCSI II bus (ST/Falcon/whatever) as long as the host provides termination power and the parity bit. Works for me. It's a pity that the front-top of my case is a bit damaged. I was hoping this little crack would be removed anyways when modifying the case but it didn't. OTOH, it's all made of scrap I had laying around anyways.

Now it's at least in use for something, otherwise it was just laying around, taking up space.

While recovering the message bases I came across a message (1998?) from someone who was searching for network tools for his BBS Express ST set-up to network with 8-bit Pro BBS'. That must be you I guess :-)

I logged into the thunderdome bbs today via prison board dial up,when I get to the thunderdome any time I enter a letter it comes up twice,I have even changed the duplex mode and that don't help either,out of ideas here,any help would be appreciated thx Frank

p.s. system 800xl(stock)

two 1050 drives

supra modem 2400

256k icd mio

software=bobterm v1.21

Must be a "local echo" setting at your side. Try to turn it off. (b.t.w: what's prison board?)

The prison board is a bbs in texas that still has a dial up modem,I call into there and then take a telnet link over to the thunderdome,Don't know what to turn off, I did try turning things off and on but nothing changed still same problem.

The prison board is a bbs in texas that still has a dial up modem,I call into there and then take a telnet link over to the thunderdome,Don't know what to turn off, I did try turning things off and on but nothing changed still same problem.

I think you make it too complicated to connect. On most modern systems it requires a single click to connect as it will start-up a default telnet client in most cases. This means you likely can connect with a non-default telnet client too, like Bobterm in an emulator, or by using Bobterm on a real Atari while exchanging the modem for a PC/Mac-system and use APE (for SIO) or a general telnet-modem tool (with null-modem) to connect.

Using an external solution (like another BBS) makes it more difficult as you don't know whats going on that BBS and you probably also can't change the local-echo setting that easy. Ask the Sysop of Prison for help if you want to connect his way. With the right settings it should work too.

or is it telnettable (is that a word :cool:)

It's a word now! :-)

Thunderdome switched from dial-up to telnet in 2004.

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

I'll try to log in later this evening.

I hope it works as it should. It's not tested that thoroughly yet. I'll check it tomorrow after I've got some sleep :-)

Got on to Thunderdome via the Prison Board BBS tonight.

Welcome back Thunderdome! Missed your "experimental" BBS.

• 3 weeks later...