IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Nope... only the variable tags... at least in 2.1a. I don't know about the later versions. Steve Carden would know.

But one of the original developers wrote a pretty cool online maze game using the menu system and ATASCII text files... You can play on my BBS in ATASCII mode only.

Edited by bf2k+

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, figure this might be the best place to ask this. My Speedier module:

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/proda8/adv-eh0100.htm

Which has offered somewhere between 9600 and 19,200 baud since 2005 is wearing out I think. Was thinking of getting another module, but wondered what other serial options would be available to a Atari 800 beige (with Incogneto) user like myself at this point?

Things I liked about the Speedier:

1) Something better than 9600 baud.

2) Size was nice

3) Not needing a seperate power supply.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss Marius - whatever the heck happened to him?

Hung out on Boot Factory a lot, but good point, has been about a month or two since I have heard from him. Need some intel on this.

Ill be back up tonight.

Nice! (Which is your BBS again) :P

The Boot Factory 2k+ BBS is down for a few days for hardware repairs.

Will definately be missed in the meantime. One of my favs. Tryi to have it up at least in the days after Christmas. I am off then and want to get in some good quality BBS time.

• 2 weeks later...

While BBCS was a really neat idea, it was not a very robust BBS and was riddled with problems. I was not able to get that one to work across the internet although I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it.

I would recommend getting a copy of BBS:Express 850 and using that. You can download it off the internet.

Or buy a copy of BBS:Express PRO from video 61 or the later version TCP/IP Express PRO from Steve Carden.

I no longer sell my BBS Program. I have been know to give it to a sysop if he is willing to put the work into setting up a BBS System

Stephen J. Carden

Hmm, so you mean to say that BBS Express on the 8bits didn't include a scripting language?

Huh, I just assumed that they would have. Thanks.

Tcpip Express has the ability to run batch files in a script format. This is something that only TCPIP Express can do. BBS Express Pro can not do this.

Stephen J. Carden

Hmm, had a problem with Starfleet recently.

I got this error when trying to save a reply

I had made.

After that, there was no way to exit, and I

just had to close the shell window.

You around Kirkman? :)

attachicon.gifStarfleet error.jpeg

Kirkman = me. I think I posted a question about Fido archives there, which is probably why you were posting that reply.

--Josh

Kirkman = me. I think I posted a question about Fido archives there, which is probably why you were posting that reply.

--Josh

Right. Too many computer forums + semi-senile old SysOp = posts like that. :)

BTW, don't know if my post saved at StarFleet or not, but I was trying to say that

you might want to ask Doctor Clu - he's a usenet/fidonet fan, IIRC. HTHs.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, Starfleet/Starship was the BBS Dave and I ran years ago on the 8 bit, He showed me a very interesting signed photo of Marina Sirtis. She had a way different job before Star Trek! I was currently digging thru my garage looking for the BBS (I bought it from him years ago)... I am coming up a few things short. I was hoping to put the Two BBS's I co-sysed on back up, one hard drive is toast, I tried replacing the board that runs it... but no go... it's a full height sea crate er seagate... The other is an embedded scsi that the Tyrant and I put on my system when I co-sysed Parallel Dimension....

I wanted to put them both up and network them running the old msg boards as a nostalgia base and new message sections.... as well...

I also wanted to have them run one msg base as the old node network, I believe we call it the nearus network. anyway one would call the other and networked the msg bases. so I could let them connect that way... I also wanted to allow them to multiplex and talk to each other and allow users to talk to each other as well the way puffs BBS function back in the day. Lastly I want the thing to have a multiplexed room where all can talk to each other. The icing on the cake would be a third BBS that is all new multiplexed to the other 2.

Now this is where I have a problem, I want real phone access to the BBS's and I want telnet access as well.... I can't make it happen...I need to modify something to shut one down while the other is happening, phone answers, shut telnet down, telnet aswers shut modem down, either one drops bring both back up... drop both for maintenance/modification then back up when done

I have the modems but need a power supply or two.

I have the lantronix box,

I have a 2 thin clients with sio2usb on one and sio2rs232 on the other,

I have the 320XE,

I have a 130XE with no keyboard at all but works,

I have 2 800XL I will have to rambo,

a few courrier hst/dst,

still have the original 1 meg Mio,

still have the original Black Box, It has has the enhancer spooler and floppy board removed (sent it out for repair by a less than reputable person, never saw the floppy board again :( back ups from the bbs's were made using floppy board can't read em now) I don't know why...

I also have 850 interface.

I really want to cut the thin clients setup out of the loop and use lantronix boxes, save some power bills that way, and take up even less space. also means I can be more Atari only in hardware.

Concerned about how well upload/download will work over telnet or voip for that matter... I want to make sure you can get the entire BBS experience. Press Download and eat dinner then return, or play breakout while downloading... hehehe I loved that part of the terminal software.

tried to do this two years ago, and then we had to move our facility 65 miles away, and then they shut down (congrats you ALLL get severance pay, yep the entire staff and management).... so now I am going to try to do it from home. I appear to have some free time!

• 2 weeks later...

Updated my Vintage Computer BBS List, check it out at:

http://www.tinyurl.com/VintageComputerBBSList

Looks like there are 8 Atari boards, let me know if I missed any.

Nice work! I gave you an updated active list of online Atari boards on your email at YYZ BBS.

Thanks for your great SysOp work in the BBS community!

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Ugh, rough morning.

Couldn't log on to:

YYZBBS

StarFleet

Inside The 8Bit

IT8BIT wouldn't accept the username/password combo that I've been using

for a long time. I'm like 99% sure that I'm using the right ones...

Hope they all have their issues resolved soon! :)

• 2 months later...

Thunderdome BBS update...

The host that provided the free DDNS service to connect to Thunderdome decided to drop this service so the old url will stop functioning at the end of April 2014. The new url will be thunderdome.anydns.com and is already in effect. Port is unchanged (471).

For users who connect on IP, I wrote some code that checks the url and returns the current IP address. It's at http://thunderdome.fox-1.nl and you need to enter a 2 number captcha to continue. This is just to lock out search engine spiders and unwanted automated "visitors".

Sysop Fox-1

• Like 1