IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

So just a little news.....

I finally got my feed for Usenet Newsgroups working on SFHQ... Getting them on the BBS will take a little time since my first group of packets was apparently a rescan and ended up sending me over 120mb of messages.... for only 5 groups.

Which brings me to the question... Obviously I won't keep the entire history on the BBS. (I haven't decided how many messages I'll keep... if you have thoughts... ) But would people like the history made available as a download? (Probably in a package with the LED editor so you can read it on an ST).

I wanted to ask because there are obviously many ways to read archived news groups and unless anyone is really interested, I wasn't going to bother (besides keeping it for myself).

Personally, I think the old games and the old messages are among the most valuable things on your system. I have actually scraped most/all the Fidonet subs from your board because I am pretty sure your cache is unique.

Obviously it may not hold an attraction for a lot of folks these days, but it is the one thing you have that nobody else has ... those messages.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the old games and the old messages are among the most valuable things on your system. I have actually scraped most/all the Fidonet subs from your board because I am pretty sure your cache is unique.

Obviously it may not hold an attraction for a lot of folks these days, but it is the one thing you have that nobody else has ... those messages.

True, but besides you and one other user, I don't think anyone's really taken any time to look at them... and I think when they see the 12000 messages, they get scared.

Probably need to do a tutorial on how to use the system........

Actually, I had a few people try some games last night. Got slammed due to an Ars Technica article about an Apple II BBS that I'm hosting the fTelnet portal for (so many of the users found their way back to me). Almost 20 new users since Saturday morning (and I doubt any will ever call back, but we'll see). Sure did give my fTelnet proxy server a bit of a load test (3021 connections or attempts since yesterday morning).

Still kind of amazing how many old school BBSers from back in the day don't know we still exist.

Thank you for your help _The Doctor_. My apologies for taking so long to respond. I ended up picking up a Lantronix mss100 after seeing all the commotion in that other thread. It turns out that bobterm 1.22 works fine on the xep80 when I go through the mss100 (and atari 850). I was able to connect to a couple of bbs's without dropped/scrambled characters. I still want to go back and see if I can get the sio2pc working with the xep80 now that I know it should work, but I'll save that for a future project. Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to try, The Resistance! is VERY slowly taking shape at telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

There are some missing and screwed up files, I think. I need better docs. It hasn't crashed in a while from internet bots, so give it a try.

Please don't type 'W' for the call list. It has something to do with a couple of files in the >PRO>DATA directory, but all it does is dump a bunch of code to the screen. You can stop it (usually) with ^C, but it's safest not to do it.

Messaging seems to work now, but it has crashed in the past. Please test it. I'm gonna give new users access for now, because I have no content on there that anyone could damage.

All I ask is that you don't use offensive language.

Thanks, and come back to see the improvements.

Edit: I also set visitors to full, but of course not SysOp access.

Please behave yourselves.

:)

Hey, Make SURE to hit Return / Enter slowly several times as soon as it connects. All you will see is ATA (until I get it fixed.)

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Digging through my revived MIO hard drive, I came across a BBS Express PRO node-list from July 1994. Came across a couple notable entries. Notably node #244 (mine!) and #402 THE BATES MOTEL / aka MacRorie :D And a bunch of others in Canada and Netherlands that I was using Express_Net networking with. I seem to recall in the interview with Norman on the Antic Podcast he lost his node? if he meant the node number well, there it is...

Attached the converted text file if anyone wants to scan for others they remember! probbs.txt

Appears my BBS is mostly functional again, just the original hardware is too unstable... MIO is a little flaky with the DropCheck PBI2ECI adapter... we'll see :)

Also, came across one crazy ATASCII Animation file I had captured from another BBS at some point... Recorded a video of it with LEBREAK3 . Enjoy

And a screenshot of the on-line games menu file editing in TextPro, you can see how BBS Express Pro read the commands codes as well as actual menu text. Man.. I would love to play ARENA again! Anyone else remember that game?

Cheers!

(And how do I make smaller thumbnails? lol)

post-53052-0-69623400-1494928092.jpg

post-53052-0-55887500-1494928093.jpg

post-53052-0-40396500-1494928094.jpg

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 2

Digging through my revived MIO hard drive, I came across a BBS Express PRO node-list from July 1994. Came across a couple notable entries. Notably node #244 (mine!) and #402 THE BATES MOTEL / aka MacRorie :D And a bunch of others in Canada and Netherlands that I was using Express_Net networking with. I seem to recall in the interview with Norman on the Antic Podcast he lost his node? if he meant the node number well, there it is...

Attached the converted text file if anyone wants to scan for others they remember! attachicon.gifprobbs.txt

A long time ago I bought an MIO and hard drive set up, which came with BBS Express Pro. I was excited to see if I could find out who originally had it, unfortunately, node #404 is blank in your list.

Yes.

I have been trying to get both Arena and Colony set up on my BBS (Pro) but there seems to be problems with both of them.

Arena crashes a lot and I don't know why.

Colony almost works... everything works until you enter the MILITARY section and then it kicks you back out to the BBS with either an error 165 or 130 (I forget).

And because I can only play them once per day, debugging them is horribly SLOW!

Any suggestions?

Node #3 is Starship BBS

Node #69 is also Starship BBS

both of those are mine and had about 4 phone numbers or so over time

Node #163 is Parallel Dimension

that is Greg and Myself.....

node #330 is A.C.U.T.E. BBS (Atari computer users techtnical exchange LVAUG)

that is Jonathan

The Warehouse

thats Craig 215-432-6442 215-432-3679

All are Lehigh Valley Area Bulletin Board Systems... before the 215 area code split...

Edited by _The Doctor__

The Resistance! works better now. It seems that Pro BBS really does misbehave badly under SDX. :( :( :(

It is running much better now, please try it and let me know if you can lock it up, or if any strangeness occurs. :)

Please create an account, don't log in as John Doe or Joe Blow. Leave Feedback too!

telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Static IP: 23.25.83.98

Standard port 23 (for now).

If anyone still has any nice ATASCII, ASCII or ANSI screens, let me know. I can use them as templates, and if they're nice fancy ones, I'll preserve them in a "Tribute to BBS" section or something. This stuff is classic and must be preserved.

Thanks!

-K

EDIT: Please press RETURN slowly a few times to connect. I haven't found a way to display a prompt yet.

Sorry, but there seems to be a problem with ASCII and ANSII. Try ATASCII. Will try to fix tomorrow.

Edited by Kyle22

I got Kingdom working. It's in the # Games menu. Any suggestions on what games would be good?

L.O.R.D. would be great (but I don't think it's been ported yet)... :)

Also, I had to rebuild all message bases due to corruption.

Try it : telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net:23

Thanks.

:)

Was going to leave you feedback but I ran out of time (and didn't get a chance to call back since...)

Not sure if you can do anything about it, but in Kingdom when you get your "end of turn" report, it goes away too quickly to see it.

But other than that, I had fun with the games. ;)

• Like 1

I'm not sure... I doubt it, but I'll look into a way to pause that. It's most likely built in to the game so it will be difficult to modify.

I think I fixed the send e-mail and feedback thing, but I'll bump up your time (unless you are at the max already).

Edit: Time increased :)

Edited by Kyle22

you used Le Break - The Break, Matt*Ratt's Atari Toons, (I think a magazine ran a series on Atascii movies), and there was at least 3 others at the time with varying degrees of edit-ability.....

You can certainly use any Terminal programs capture buffer/ascii upload function and set a delay to make it slower....

allowing you to watch it in full modem speed glory

You can copy it to the screen editor but it'll go by very fast...

You can go to Atarmax site and download windows native break viewer etc...

Kirkman also has a few Atari atascii/players/editors, he could dig them up for you...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

you used Le Break - The Break, Matt*Ratt's Atari Toons, (I think a magazine ran a series on Atascii movies), and there was at least 3 others at the time with varying degrees of edit-ability.....

You can certainly use any Terminal programs capture buffer/ascii upload function and set a delay to make it slower....

allowing you to watch it in full modem speed glory

You can copy it to the screen editor but it'll go by very fast...

You can go to Atarmax site and download windows native break viewer etc...

Kirkman also has a few Atari atascii/players/editors, he could dig them up for you...

Wow LeBreak! A UFP "product" right after I left the computer world. Lol. I had to jump through a few hoops but was able to view a bunch of the files with smart terminal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

With a lot of help from The Doctor, I was able to access my BBS backups (of what I have left). I came across a few items in my downloads directory. Nothing really stood out, and then I saw files name PHOREM3A and 3B. I managed to extract them from their grave for the past 30 or so years, and it appears to be some version of the FoReM bbs modded by Null Cypher. I did a quick google search and didn't get any hits for Phorem so I figured I would upload it here. If it is of any significance pass it around, if not, oh well. I had fun accessing these old files.

There were a few other items in the downloads directories, I will work on extracting them and if they are worth while I will upload it.

Enjoy

craig

PHoReM3a.atr

PHoReM3b.atr

• Like 8