IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Ive been flirting with the idea of putting my old customized Carnival (heavily modified AMIS) software which I then heavily modified to run multi-user on a network of 800s connected to a Corvus HD.

If you still have the equipment, go for it. Was talking to another old AMIS sysop on Facebook trying to get his mod going. I remember AMIS quite fondly... was the first BBS software I worked on modifying.

From what I remember, I actually got it working with more than one message base.

• Like 1

I wonder if AMIS could run under FastBASIC... Would it be as fast as Express Pro? I hope so. :)

Or even Altirra BASIC... Drop-in replacement for the 8KB BASIC ROM. I was showing my dad some of his BASIC programs over xmas from circa 1984, but using Altirra BASIC in a pinch, and a lot of them ran a little too fast, even at stock CPU speed. :)

• Like 1

Good morning! Since this thread seems to be in relation to Atari BBS' in general, and there are some good heads here, I thought I'd ask a question.

I have the following:

- a recently modified Atari 800XL (Wizztronics 256k)

- 850 Interface
- MyIDE-II CompactFlash Interface & 8GB CF Card
- Lantronix UDS10

Many lifetimes ago, I ran an atari bbs. I would like to do so again. Back then it was AMIS and some weird little thing I pulled down from Compuserv SIGs that I cannot locate

I also have static IP's and a business internet connection.

I would like to run a bbs again. Suggestions on this setup? Thoughts? Ideas?

TIA!

-- Rick

• Like 2

Good morning! Since this thread seems to be in relation to Atari BBS' in general, and there are some good heads here, I thought I'd ask a question.

I have the following:

- a recently modified Atari 800XL (Wizztronics 256k)

- 850 Interface

- MyIDE-II CompactFlash Interface & 8GB CF Card

- Lantronix UDS10

Many lifetimes ago, I ran an atari bbs. I would like to do so again. Back then it was AMIS and some weird little thing I pulled down from Compuserv SIGs that I cannot locate

I also have static IP's and a business internet connection.

I would like to run a bbs again. Suggestions on this setup? Thoughts? Ideas?

TIA!

-- Rick

It would be cool to see an AMIS BBS on the Internet. Did you run AMIS with an 850 interface or did you use the version that targeted the MPP 1000C/E (or Supra 300AT) modem? If you used an 850 version, it should be pretty straight forward to configure with an 850 + UDS10. You can search the AtariAge forums for tips on configuring the Lantronix box. If you used the MPP version of AMIS, then I'm not sure how easy it is to configure. Maybe in that case it will work if you load an 850 R: Handler instead of the MPP modem handler.

-JP

• Like 2

It would be cool to see an AMIS BBS on the Internet. Did you run AMIS with an 850 interface or did you use the version that targeted the MPP 1000C/E (or Supra 300AT) modem? If you used an 850 version, it should be pretty straight forward to configure with an 850 + UDS10. You can search the AtariAge forums for tips on configuring the Lantronix box. If you used the MPP version of AMIS, then I'm not sure how easy it is to configure. Maybe in that case it will work if you load an 850 R: Handler instead of the MPP modem handler.

-JP

I did use the MPP version; however, that is long gone. I would not mind reimplementing some of the changes I made back then though. Or even rewriting something on top of MOE

• Like 1

I did use the MPP version; however, that is long gone. I would not mind reimplementing some of the changes I made back then though. Or even rewriting something on top of MOE

Did you try any of the software in http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/ATARI/EIGHTBIT/? Looks like AMIS and Carina (MOE) may be available there.

The new Basement BBS message base archive is available here . It's all the old message bases that we still have in one place. Many of these are also available on the BBS today. However, I also added some messages that were recovered from an old 850 BBS Express version of the Basement (circa 1988). There's even an ad for Boot Factory in the BBS Ads message base from 1988! :)

I will provide a similar archive for the Part-Time BBS soon.

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
My BBS (The Basement) was originally online from 1986 through 1998. For a little more than half of that time span, the BBS had its own macot, The Basement Cat. I finally got around to posting a little tribute to the Basement Cat.
You can view it here. This webpage also contains some nice ATASCII graphics.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

My BBS (The Basement) was originally online from 1986 through 1998. For a little more than half of that time span, the BBS had its own macot, The Basement Cat. I finally got around to posting a little tribute to the Basement Cat.
You can view it here. This webpage also contains some nice ATASCII graphics.

-JP

Nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Star Fleet is up. I just connected to it. YYZ and 8 Bit Guild BBSs have been down for months.

-JP

Got it - must have typed something wrong in the last time I tried to connect.

Sorry to hear that about YYZ - anything from the SysOp about when they will

be back online? Always liked that little BBS running off floppies. :)

Today, we added another BBS to our ExpressNET message base network. Welcome Resistance BBS!

Here's the list of Pro! BBSs that are networking their general message base:

Alcatraz BBS telnet: alcatrazbbs.ddns.net:9000

Basement BBS telnet: basementbbs.ddns.net:9000

Part-Time BBS telnet: ptbbs.ddns.net:8000

The Resistance BBS telnet: broadway1.lorexddns.net:23

If you haven't already, check out one or more of these BBSs!

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

Today, we added another BBS to our ExpressNET message base network. Welcome Resistance BBS!

Here's the list of Pro! BBSs that are networking their general message base:

Alcatraz BBS telnet: alcatrazbbs.ddns.net:9000

Basement BBS telnet: basementbbs.ddns.net:9000

Part-Time BBS telnet: ptbbs.ddns.net:8000

The Resistance BBS telnet: broadway1.lorexddns.net:23

If you haven't already, check out one or more of these BBSs!

-JP

Thanks VERY much for your help!

:)

Now, we need to a find (or make) an app that runs on WinXP that will automatically download certain web pages when they update. Basically, I want to make http://www.qmap.pub automatically go to a message base, or to text files in the library section. I have RespeQt running 24/7 on my laptop.

Any ideas?

T.I.A

Edit: Forgot ONE SPACE :(

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

Almost revived... The Dungeon BBS (my version). I have to go through lines of code and modify all of the drive calls, since I'm not running four physical drives and a RAMdisk at the moment. Once I've done that, I'll be able to get it to work properly, I believe, then I can start testing putting this version up online.

20190205 134504

• Like 4

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on getting my 800XL online? I'm having a hell of a tough time, I've got an SIO2PC-USB from Lotharek, a couple modern Macs, and Windows VMs.

I can't seem to get the 850 emulator in SIO2OSX working, and APE doesn't want to play nice with Lotharek's SIO2PC-USB adapter.

I've tried SerialTCP, but I think the lack of an R: handler is making all the terminal emulator software I've tried choke. It looks like the software AtariGeezer's working on would do the trick, but I think it's still in development.

I should probably note that I can use the SIO2PC-USB adapter for disk loading with RespeQt without issue.

If it's possible to get up and running with the gear I've got, I'm certainly at a loss. I'm tempted to just get a VOIP landline from Comcast and an X301 for a few bucks from Best... Thanks!

Edited by DNA128k

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on getting my 800XL online? I'm having a hell of a tough time, I've got an SIO2PC-USB from Lotharek, a couple modern Macs, and Windows VMs.

I can't seem to get the 850 emulator in SIO2OSX working, and APE doesn't want to play nice with Lotharek's SIO2PC-USB adapter.

I've tried SerialTCP, but I think the lack of an R: handler is making all the terminal emulator software I've tried choke. It looks like the software AtariGeezer's working on would do the trick, but I think it's still in development.

I should probably note that I can use the SIO2PC-USB adapter for disk loading with RespeQt without issue.

If it's possible to get up and running with the gear I've got, I'm certainly at a loss. I'm tempted to just get a VOIP landline from Comcast and an X301 for a few bucks from Best... Thanks!

Being the stubborn type I am, I went with the Wimodem232 and am leveraging my ATR-8000 (you can also use the 850 interface or others if you have them). This connects directly to WiFi, and then you can use terminal software to dial out to BBSes. I did this, so I don't have to tether my system to my PC to do everything. Someone showed me an 850 up for sale for $17 or so just a few days ago, if you wanted to go straight online with the Atari. This route is probably more cost effective long-term than having to get a landline and modem. :)

• Like 2

Being the stubborn type I am, I went with the Wimodem232 and am leveraging my ATR-8000 (you can also use the 850 interface or others if you have them). This connects directly to WiFi, and then you can use terminal software to dial out to BBSes. I did this, so I don't have to tether my system to my PC to do everything. Someone showed me an 850 up for sale for $17 or so just a few days ago, if you wanted to go straight online with the Atari. This route is probably more cost effective long-term than having to get a landline and modem. :)

Thanks! I've been looking into an 850, but I haven't seen any in that price range. I don't mind being tethered to my modern machine, as it shares the same desk and display as the Atari; I was just hoping there was some software solution to emulate an 850 / R: handler or otherwise that I hadn't tried yet!