IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Man, that sucks, Tillek. I hope you can resurrect SFHQ. You had lots of great historical messages on there, not to mention the games.

--Josh

It's not a matter of "can"... It's a matter of "want".

I have a few Mega ST's (at least 1 mega 4) and another Mega STE that might be a quick fix... a 2nd Falcon that was flaky but I probably could get working, not to mention the TT.

I just don't want to sacrifice another machine. I've already lost a Falcon and MSTE. From what I've been told from the various people who have been out, it definitely came through the network wiring. Everything damaged (from all the neighbors) was hard wired to the network or a network device (in the case of the TV's) that was hard wired. I really think the ST's are just really sensitive to it. I don't know how well those lightning protectors work.

But even then, like I said before, this was the actual hardware the BBS ran on back in the 90's. It's more than just losing a mega STE... It's losing THAT MSTE.

And on top of that... those games? I don't think anyone plays them. Those old NeST/AtariNet archives? I don't think anyone reads them.

So it's really just a matter of how much effort, time and equipment do I throw at something that really isn't used that much. Not to mention that there are at least 3 people talking about putting BBS's up so do we really need SFHQ?

There are a lot of other things I could put my time into that would probably be more useful to more people.

I'm certain I still have the phone number for that on an old floppy. Might even have some menu captures.

Please post any captures you have. This BBS was in the 216 area code back in the day, correct? I'd love to share any screen captures you have on the "216 Atari Reunion" Facebook page. By the way, if you're on Facebook, feel free to join that group too. :)

-JP

• Like 2

I have a few Mega ST's (at least 1 mega 4) and another Mega STE that might be a quick fix... a 2nd Falcon that was flaky but I probably could get working, not to mention the TT.

I just don't want to sacrifice another machine. I've already lost a Falcon and MSTE. From what I've been told from the various people who have been out, it definitely came through the network wiring. Everything damaged (from all the neighbors) was hard wired to the network or a network device (in the case of the TV's) that was hard wired. I really think the ST's are just really sensitive to it. I don't know how well those lightning protectors work.

But even then, like I said before, this was the actual hardware the BBS ran on back in the 90's. It's more than just losing a mega STE... It's losing THAT MSTE.

And on top of that... those games? I don't think anyone plays them. Those old NeST/AtariNet archives? I don't think anyone reads them.

So it's really just a matter of how much effort, time and equipment do I throw at something that really isn't used that much. Not to mention that there are at least 3 people talking about putting BBS's up so do we really need SFHQ?

There are a lot of other things I could put my time into that would probably be more useful to more people.

All fair points. It's a tough choice, but I understand if you end up not coming back. But you definitely had a great board, even if it wasn't getting tons of calls.

You have unique content there, though, that I hope won't be lost, no matter what you decide.

In 2016 I scraped all your old Fidonet messages, but I'd love to get a copy of all the other old networked message bases you have on there.

--Josh

If you decide not to put your BBS back up, maybe you can post those old NeST/AtariNet archives on your website. I think that would be useful and beneficial to the community. Now that I re-joined the ST club, I'd be interested in checking those out. :)

-JP

We'll see.

I start a new job on the 6th, so right now I'm just focusing on the paperwork and making sure everything is good to go for that....

Once everything is locked solid, I'll look at the situation and make a decision one way or the other.

Please post any captures you have. This BBS was in the 216 area code back in the day, correct? I'd love to share any screen captures you have on the "216 Atari Reunion" Facebook page. By the way, if you're on Facebook, feel free to join that group too. :)

-JP

Not on Facebook, but give me a few days to see what I can find, I'll make it all available.

• Like 1

We'll see.

I start a new job on the 6th, so right now I'm just focusing on the paperwork and making sure everything is good to go for that....

Once everything is locked solid, I'll look at the situation and make a decision one way or the other.

I totally understand. I was able to post some message archives from the Basement BBS to the Basement's website. It took most of an afternoon to do so. I've been meaning to do the same with the Part-Time BBS. Problem is, Part-Time has a lot more message archives. So, I haven't found the time yet to do it. But once done, it is convenient and easy to search them. :) And if/when you take down your website, you can either transfer them to someone else or add them to a site such as archive.org.

-JP

Sure just when Starship is set to launch in this millennium, SFHQ goes dark, what the h*ll are we going to do now? D*mmit Jim, i'm a Doctor, not a logistics manager! Kirk here... Jim how's our patient... and please don't tell me 'he's dead Jim'

Pretty certain any number of us could repair the machines for you. Kirk to engineering... Scotty here... How long till main computer back online?

It won't be that long, Scotty's a 'miracle worker'

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Well I am an SFHQ fan Tillek.. was I the only one??? I called your board more than any of the others.. the interface was slick.. easy to navigate and very responsive.

I liked it a lot. what did that shortform you wrote mean MOPAR? I dont know that one??

James

Well I am an SFHQ fan Tillek.. was I the only one??? I called your board more than any of the others.. the interface was slick.. easy to navigate and very responsive.

I liked it a lot. what did that shortform you wrote mean MOPAR? I dont know that one??

James

Not sure what you mean BB. If referring to me, I had offered to search my original floppy collection for any "buffer saves" from the Rubber City Atari BBS.

Whoa there - BITD, Oasis was highly sought after. Back in '87 if I called into a BBS running Oasis rather than some other freeware, you knew you had hit the jackpot.

This one.. does BITD mean Back in the Day??? As I was typing I figured it out I think.

LOL

:)

James

Edited by Bikerbob
  • Like 1

Modem (Emulation) Mode: In Modem Mode, the unit presents a modem interface to the attached serial device. It accepts AT-style modem commands, and handles the modem signals correctly.

To select Modem Mode, set the Connect Mode to C6 (no echo), D6 (echo with full verbose), or D7 (echo with 1-character response).

Note: If the unit is in Modem Mode and the serial port is idle, the unit still accepts network TCP connections to the serial port if Connect Mode is set to C6 (no echo), D6 (echo with full verbose), or D7 (echo with 1-character response).

Echo: Refers to the echo of all of the characters entered in command mode; it does not mean to echo data that is transferred. Quiet Mode (no echo) refers to the modem not sending an answer to the commands received (or displaying what was typed).

Full Verbose: The unit echoes modem commands and responds to a command with a message string.

1-Character Response: The unit echoes modem commands and responds to a command with a single character response.

FROM the UDS-100 manual..

So which do I want? ECHO? VERBOSE OR 1 Chr?

James

Modem (Emulation) Mode: In Modem Mode, the unit presents a modem interface to the attached serial device. It accepts AT-style modem commands, and handles the modem signals correctly.

To select Modem Mode, set the Connect Mode to C6 (no echo), D6 (echo with full verbose), or D7 (echo with 1-character response).

Note: If the unit is in Modem Mode and the serial port is idle, the unit still accepts network TCP connections to the serial port if Connect Mode is set to C6 (no echo), D6 (echo with full verbose), or D7 (echo with 1-character response).

Echo: Refers to the echo of all of the characters entered in command mode; it does not mean to echo data that is transferred. Quiet Mode (no echo) refers to the modem not sending an answer to the commands received (or displaying what was typed).

Full Verbose: The unit echoes modem commands and responds to a command with a message string.

1-Character Response: The unit echoes modem commands and responds to a command with a single character response.

James

If you look through this thread and/or do a search on Lantronix in this forum, you'll find examples of working configurations that people have posted.

That's the easiest way to set up your own config.

The Doc is the lantronix expert.

Yeah, but this is clearly an "asked an answered, your honor........" situation.

If someone talks about running a BBS and can't be bothered to do a quick search, should they be running a BBS? Do you want to be their full time Yoda?

• Like 1

James

I mean, I really love your enthusiasm and your support for Atari BBSing, but this is literally the old guy from BattleStar Galactica (the "reboot").

"This has all happened before, and it will all happen again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again....."

• Like 1

Sorry Tillek, I have searched.. and I have not found anything that worked.. so either I am building the cable wrong, which I asked in another thread or maybe the device or something in my setup is wrong.

I am not trying to get a bbs up and running.. all I am trying to do is dial out with UDS-100 right now.

I am sorry that reading this is putting you out.. I will look to other places and people to talk to about this.. since this seems to bother you sooo much.

James

Not sure how close they are, but this is the config file for the UDS10 that I

use on my STacy to dial out... Hope it gives you some ideas at least...

(keep in mind that your ip addresses 'n stuff will probably be different)

darklord@darkforce:~$ telnet 192.168.1.129 9999
Trying 192.168.1.129...
Connected to 192.168.1.129.
Escape character is '^]'.

*** Lantronix Universal Device Server ***
Serial Number 0629604 MAC address 00204A0673A4
Software version V5.8.0.1 (041112) LTX
Password :----
Press Enter for Setup Mode

*** basic parameters
Hardware: Ethernet Autodetect
IP addr 192.168.1.129, gateway 192.168.1.1,netmask 255.255.255.0
Telnet config password set

*** Security
SNMP is enabled
SNMP Community Name: public
Telnet Setup is enabled
TFTP Download is enabled
Port 77FEh is enabled
Web Server is enabled
ECHO is enabled
Enhanced Password is disabled

*** Channel 1
Baudrate 19200, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02
Port 10001
Connect Mode : D6
Auto increment source port disabled
Remote IP Adr: --- none ---, Port 00000
Disconn Mode : C0
Flush Mode : 00
Terminal name: STacy

*** Expert
TCP Keepalive : 45s
ARP cache timeout: 600s
Monitor Mode @ bootup : enabled
HTTP Port Number : 80

Change Setup:
0 Server
1 Channel 1
5 Expert
6 Security
7 Factory defaults
8 Exit without save
9 Save and exit Your choice ? 8

• Like 2

Sure just when Starship is set to launch in this millennium, SFHQ goes dark, what the h*ll are we going to do now? D*mmit Jim, i'm a Doctor, not a logistics manager! Kirk here... Jim how's our patient... and please don't tell me 'he's dead Jim'

Pretty certain any number of us could repair the machines for you. Kirk to engineering... Scotty here... How long till main computer back online?

It won't be that long, Scotty's a 'miracle worker'

LOL

Scotty always gave the good captain an estimate that was twice as long as he thought it would

take so that when he got it done in "half" the time he was a miracle worker. Good strategy. :)

• Like 2

Not sure how close they are, but this is the config file for the UDS10 that I

use on my STacy to dial out... Hope it gives you some ideas at least...

(keep in mind that your ip addresses 'n stuff will probably be different)

darklord@darkforce:~$ telnet 192.168.1.129 9999

Trying 192.168.1.129...

Connected to 192.168.1.129.

Escape character is '^]'.

*** Lantronix Universal Device Server ***

Serial Number 0629604 MAC address 00204A0673A4

Software version V5.8.0.1 (041112) LTX

Password :----

Press Enter for Setup Mode

*** basic parameters

Hardware: Ethernet Autodetect

IP addr 192.168.1.129, gateway 192.168.1.1,netmask 255.255.255.0

Telnet config password set

*** Security

SNMP is enabled

SNMP Community Name: public

Telnet Setup is enabled

TFTP Download is enabled

Port 77FEh is enabled

Web Server is enabled

ECHO is enabled

Enhanced Password is disabled

*** Channel 1

Baudrate 19200, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02

Port 10001

Connect Mode : D6

Auto increment source port disabled

Remote IP Adr: --- none ---, Port 00000

Disconn Mode : C0

Flush Mode : 00

Terminal name: STacy

*** Expert

TCP Keepalive : 45s

ARP cache timeout: 600s

Monitor Mode @ bootup : enabled

HTTP Port Number : 80

Change Setup:

0 Server

1 Channel 1

5 Expert

6 Security

7 Factory defaults

8 Exit without save

9 Save and exit Your choice ? 8

What about cabling.. which I think is my real issue, though some of your setup is not the same as I had.. BUT - using a CX87 (ATARI 850) MODEM cable.. or I think CX88 or the null modem cable I linked to above. I read in several places on the board to do it like an CX87.. which I did make my cable like that.. and so far nothing.. I have not tried re-wiring it for a null modem with the 2pins tied together on each end. I had read again on AA that that setup was for an MSS-100 not a UDS-100.

Thanks

James