IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

• 3 weeks later...

I will have Spy Visits Spy BBS running on my Atari 8 Bit 600xl (64 K) with BBS EXPRESS PRO in a couple of days. I am just waiting for my Lantronics UDS 10 to arrive , I have a PR Connection and an Atari max USB starter kit (the Atarimax starter kit is overdue for arrival). Anyways I am working on the custom Atari graphics and the message bases for Spy Visits Spy BBS, it will take a few days to get everything ready. Phone number is 1-226-647-0710, and the telnet address will be 99.250.141.63 port 23 in a few days.

I might run it on the phone modem , ya I have a real land line, and a 28800 baud modem.

Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

I will have Spy Visits Spy BBS running on my Atari 8 Bit 600xl (64 K) with BBS EXPRESS PRO in a couple of days. I am just waiting for my Lantronics UDS 10 to arrive , I have a PR Connection and an Atari max USB starter kit (the Atarimax starter kit is overdue for arrival). Anyways I am working on the custom Atari graphics and the message bases for Spy Visits Spy BBS, it will take a few days to get everything ready. Phone number is 1-226-647-0710, and the telnet address will be 99.250.141.63 port 23 in a few days.

I might run it on the phone modem , ya I have a real land line, and a 28800 baud modem.

Russ

So now it's not a Forem ST BBS (or a Renegade, or a Forem PC), it's a BBS Express BBS?

9 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

It will be as its easier to set up .

Russ, if you're basing things on what's easy... don't be a SysOp.  It's not easy.  You absolutely WON'T get any kind of instant gratification.  Before this "retro revolution", I LITERALLY could go OVER A MONTH without a SINGLE CALLER.  I spent many a night wondering why I even bothered back in the earlier 2013-18 years.

I mean, I'm sorry man... but it's getting hard to take you seriously when you change your mind (and software, and platform, and means of communication) more often than most people change their socks.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's hard to help you when it's likely that you'll change your mind again by the time anyone posts a reply to your question.

Running a BBS is something that takes dedication and to be quite honest... vision.  The community doesn't need another BBS Express Pro BBS just to have one.  We just don't have the user base to warrant it.  We have more SysOps than "users".... too many "chiefs" not enough "indians".  I'm just honestly wondering how you're going to stick to this when you have literally made how many fundamental changes in the last couple weeks?  Forem ST (or Forum ST?) Renegade, back to Forem ST, offering a "bounty" for Forem PC, posting pictures of your Forem ST BBS on Facebook, and now BBS Express?

I mean, really, it's your time.  But I'm not changing the BBS list twice a week.  Your BBS will not be listed until you go a 6 solid months with something concrete.

... and just to be clear.  This is just my opinion.  I'm not a leader or gatekeeper... I'm certainly not a model SysOp myself since I tend to get caught up in life and don't call my fellow Atari BBS's as I should.  I try.  But I don't live up to my own ideals for certain.  But for the love of all that is holy... if you're going to do this... pick a direction and run.. don't stop... don't turn.  You do have a dedication to the hobby that I could admire, but you have to pick a direction and run with it if you're going to do this.  There is no "minor league" in the BBS community.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, Tillek said:

Russ, if you're basing things on what's easy... don't be a SysOp.  It's not easy.  You absolutely WON'T get any kind of instant gratification.  Before this "retro revolution", I LITERALLY could go OVER A MONTH without a SINGLE CALLER.  I spent many a night wondering why I even bothered back in the earlier 2013-18 years.

I mean, I'm sorry man... but it's getting hard to take you seriously when you change your mind (and software, and platform, and means of communication) more often than most people change their socks.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's hard to help you when it's likely that you'll change your mind again by the time anyone posts a reply to your question.

Running a BBS is something that takes dedication and to be quite honest... vision.  The community doesn't need another BBS Express Pro BBS just to have one.  We just don't have the user base to warrant it.  We have more SysOps than "users".... too many "chiefs" not enough "indians".  I'm just honestly wondering how you're going to stick to this when you have literally made how many fundamental changes in the last couple weeks?  Forem ST (or Forum ST?) Renegade, back to Forem ST, offering a "bounty" for Forem PC, posting pictures of your Forem ST BBS on Facebook, and now BBS Express?

I mean, really, it's your time.  But I'm not changing the BBS list twice a week.  Your BBS will not be listed until you go a 6 solid months with something concrete.

... and just to be clear.  This is just my opinion.  I'm not a leader or gatekeeper... I'm certainly not a model SysOp myself since I tend to get caught up in life and don't call my fellow Atari BBS's as I should.  I try.  But I don't live up to my own ideals for certain.  But for the love of all that is holy... if you're going to do this... pick a direction and run.. don't stop... don't turn.  You do have a dedication to the hobby that I could admire, but you have to pick a direction and run with it if you're going to do this.  There is no "minor league" in the BBS community.

Well Tilek I have finally decided on something , and yes , I am going to dedicate lots of time to the BBS , I know what it is like to run a bBS as I have run one before , I was just confused about what to run, but now I am serious about the whole thing , my BBS is now based on a theme, the Spy Vs Spy theme.

Let me tell you about the theme, I am focused on it, it is 1985 again , somehow you have warped back to 1985 , and everything focuses around that, BBS programs, well I have decided to go with Forem ST and I first picked, and now I am dedicated.

I am really sorry to have changed my mind so many times , I will of course try to focus, that is my main problem right now, focusing on something, if it means dropping all of my other stuff, well I might just incorporate that into the BBS.

I have spent the last 12 hours working on Forem ST, and door games for Forem ST, I don't ask as many questions, I just look it up on Google, but one thing is for certain I too want to do something different, and want to be established for at least 6 months if not a year before adding it to any list.

The number to call is 1-226-647-0501, by tomorrow it will have telnet at 99.250.141.63 port 23, my Lantronics device came in, everything is slowly coming together. Russ

13 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

The number to call is 1-226-647-0501, by tomorrow it will have telnet at 99.250.141.63 port 23, my Lantronics device came in, everything is slowly coming together. Russ

Just be ready to change that port address to something other than the standard "23" if you start getting slammed.

I had that problem as well as several others here.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I'd use a RAW connection on a port other than 23.... you will become a bot and hack magnet...

Just out of curiosity... I know you're promoting the whole "RAW" thing, and I'm not sure I disagree, but are you sure that it's of any benefit for ST BBS's?

We don't have the CR/LF/EOL translation issue and frankly, I've used SyncTerm to upload and download files to my own BBS when I didn't want to be bothered with floppies or moving the CosmosEx and it worked like a champ (and some guy who called a few times and never again back in 2014 and downloaded all my 80's hottie chick pics didn't seem to have a problem with file transfers either).

Like I said, I'm not saying I have a problem with this "RAW" thing, but doesn't it require the caller to make adjustments, and given the people on the internet are generally morons.... is the cost/benefit ratio good enough for the ST BBS's to recommend that?

I'd even question it on the A8 ones, since I never seemed to have much issue... but I know others had, so I'll let that be... but on the ST side... Need to see more info before I sign on to that.

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

The BBS is up and running , I have it ready but for now connect at 2400, it will connect you at 9600...…… Russ and yes I will change the Port number

How does calling a modem->modem connection at 2400 just go up to 9600?

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Just be ready to change that port address to something other than the standard "23" if you start getting slammed.

I had that problem as well as several others here.

Oh hell... once that guy posted the BBS address on Reddit.... I got slammed.... SLAMMED.  I literally watched it for a couple hours and you couldn't get in if you wanted.

4 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Well Tilek I have finally decided on something , and yes , I am going to dedicate lots of time to the BBS , I know what it is like to run a bBS as I have run one before , I was just confused about what to run, but now I am serious about the whole thing , my BBS is now based on a theme, the Spy Vs Spy theme.

Let me tell you about the theme, I am focused on it, it is 1985 again , somehow you have warped back to 1985 , and everything focuses around that, BBS programs, well I have decided to go with Forem ST and I first picked, and now I am dedicated.

I am really sorry to have changed my mind so many times , I will of course try to focus, that is my main problem right now, focusing on something, if it means dropping all of my other stuff, well I might just incorporate that into the BBS.

I have spent the last 12 hours working on Forem ST, and door games for Forem ST, I don't ask as many questions, I just look it up on Google, but one thing is for certain I too want to do something different, and want to be established for at least 6 months if not a year before adding it to any list.

Well... guess we'll see.  I mean, I sincerely hope you do well.  I'm not out to see you tank because that doesn't benefit anyone...  But everything I said stands... I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Just out of curiosity... I know you're promoting the whole "RAW" thing, and I'm not sure I disagree, but are you sure that it's of any benefit for ST BBS's?

We don't have the CR/LF/EOL translation issue and frankly, I've used SyncTerm to upload and download files to my own BBS when I didn't want to be bothered with floppies or moving the CosmosEx and it worked like a champ (and some guy who called a few times and never again back in 2014 and downloaded all my 80's hottie chick pics didn't seem to have a problem with file transfers either).

Like I said, I'm not saying I have a problem with this "RAW" thing, but doesn't it require the caller to make adjustments, and given the people on the internet are generally morons.... is the cost/benefit ratio good enough for the ST BBS's to recommend that?

I'd even question it on the A8 ones, since I never seemed to have much issue... but I know others had, so I'll let that be... but on the ST side... Need to see more info before I sign on to that.

... and when I say "need to see more info".... I mean, I just need to have a better understanding of the issue.  I'm not trying to say you're wrong... I'm just trying to say I'd like to understand it better...

Because if it's really that much better, maybe this is something the whole retro community should be considering.

3 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Raw is better for foolproof binary transfers.

Try to upload (I think it was an XM-301 term) using Telnet. It won't work if the file has certain sequences of characters that the protocol interprets as escape sequences.

He's correct certain sequences in binary transfers get messed up in tel net... I have always supported more than one translation on any BBS I ran whether it was an Atari 8/or ST/TT/Falcon... and had file areas for almost all machines (except commodore 64). Any x86 I co-sys'ed was the same. The only way to ensure all translations and transfers worked was in raw modes.  Things may have changed but I doubt it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tillek said:

How does calling a modem->modem connection at 2400 just go up to 9600?

When I connect to TheBasementBBS at 2400, it states 9600 connection as well. Not sure that's true. When I connected at 300 on initial set-up, it said 9600, but definitely was not. I saw huge improvement on speed between 300 and 2400, so I assume the BBS you are connecting to will allow up to 9600, not that you are truly connected at that baud. Just my thought...

Does anyone have a tutorial on making proper char sets for atari 8 bit screen , ie: graphics, I want to tke out vidtex and replace it with Atari 8 bit, or at leaset put Atari 8 bit codes in where the Vidtex extenders are, change the menu prompt from vidtex to Atart 8 Bit, I have Ansi and Atari ST but not Atari 8 Bit. I suppose I could look it up on google , but I might get the wrong thing .... I will try anyways..... Russ

Also for some reason the PR Connecton defaults to 2400 baud as well as the Mega ST4. I will also have to see if there arevsettings for the modem port beyond what the Forem ST program says.