IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Warning oversimplified info follows, this to get the idea across....

DTE and DCE rates can be different, a lantronix device set at 9600 will buffer and meter the data within reason... so you can send at 2400 and the data is held and then pumped to the serial port at 9600 rates but a 2400 flow (unless the connected devices used control to stop data and then all was clear and it bursts the data at 9600).

The converse is true, the lantronix will take the serial data at 9600 and buffer the data, then meter it at 2400 rate and flow. (however, in this scenario unless trueport or a flow control method is employed, you run the risk of buffer overflow) Normally this condition won't be met as screens for most items aren't larger enough to do this, and most upload download protocols use small packets with error detection and corrections that act as a form of flow control built in.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tillek said:

All true, but at this point he was talking about connecting through an actual modem.  If I set my modem to 2400 and call another modem, it's going to connect at 2400 (or maybe negotiate lower) right?

True but if I set the com port on the ST to 9600 it connects at 2400, but Forem ST says 9600, I think its a glitch in forem st as it actually connects at 2400... I can't seem to get higher than that as I am in an apartment building.

You can lock the modem at 9600 to the computer and let the incoming rate vary, it works using the same principle. This how we served those pages so fast. Fill the modem buffer and move on. You wouldn't see the slight pause or break during disk reads of atascii/ansi/vt movies either..

Edited by _The Doctor__

37 minutes ago, Tillek said:

All true, but at this point he was talking about connecting through an actual modem.  If I set my modem to 2400 and call another modem, it's going to connect at 2400 (or maybe negotiate lower) right?

I had an Avatex 2400mnp modem, which even though the line rate was always 2400 baud, it had error correction and data compression with the MNP protocol, so I would set it to 9600 bps on the computer, and easily compressible text would come through much faster than 2400bps.

My US Robotics Courier would also always run at 19.2K with the MIO, even if someone connected at a lower speed. Hardware flow control would ensure the modem could tell the computer to pause sending to slower modems, but allowed callers with any speed including data compression. I thought it was simpler overall because the computer was always fixed at 19200bps, and the 'reported' connect speed was only derived from the "connect" string.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that my board is down. I suspect the 850. If I go to BobTerm and type AT(anything), I don't get an echo back. ATE1 does nothing. SIO works fine, both ways. Not an issue with the computer. Possibly bad UDS-10.

I will do more diagnostics tomorrow.

The 850 handler loads fine (beeeeep). Will the handler load if the 850 fails self-test (bad RIOT, etc.)?

12 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

You are having problems too eh Kyle? I now have 3 main screens that are in 8 Bit ATASCII on my BBS.

How does one see these screens? I logged on with ATASCII and chose 40 columns but didn't see any ATASCII other than a couple lines of inverse characters.

-JP

8 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

How does one see these screens? I logged on with ATASCII and chose 40 columns but didn't see any ATASCII other than a couple lines of inverse characters.

-JP

Option 2 it is inverse lines and I will fix it as soon  as I get home

On 7/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Kyle22 said:

It seems that my board is down. I suspect the 850. If I go to BobTerm and type AT(anything), I don't get an echo back. ATE1 does nothing. SIO works fine, both ways. Not an issue with the computer. Possibly bad UDS-10.

I will do more diagnostics tomorrow.

The 850 handler loads fine (beeeeep). Will the handler load if the 850 fails self-test (bad RIOT, etc.)?

Over the years, I've had a couple of UDS10's that occasionally seemed to "lose their minds".  :)

Resetting and saving everything usually does the trick. (don't forget updates)

Glad you got yours fixed.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:53 PM, Kyle22 said:

I simply choose to only connect with the LIGHT instead of the DARK, shadowy forces of evil associated with Son of Tramiel BBSs.

:)

Are you sure?  I don't think I've ever heard you mention that before.... :P

Long story short, SFHQ BBS is back up after a bit of a long road.  It will probably be down again during the day tomorrow as we're expecting storms in the afternoon while I'm at work (though yesterday's and today's storms didn't seem to ever show up, but I'll be damned if I lose my TT030 the day after I put it back up).

bbs.sfhqbbs.org port 5983

I was able to recover the latest from the drive, so there was no data loss.

I'll be posting more in the BBS Club in a few days after I'm sure things are working ok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a note though...  supposed to get thunderstorms this afternoon... so I took it down while at work.  Of course.... we were supposed to get them the last two days and never did..... and its bright and sunny outside.  No storms for the rest of the week so Ill leave it up.... and Im sure a rogue storm will roll in and blow it all up again. 

• Sad 1

the mss-100 is a more fully featured console server with DNS so you did a good thing in getting one, turn off telnet padding and you will get good results on just about any connection, switching to raw for others. very configurable... you really do need to read the manual and make yourself a crib sheet, it helps get you acquainted and since most settings don't get changed for a long time, pulling it out when needed is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

Well I figure I am going to use the MSS-100 for calling.. and the UDS-100 for the BBSs I will be playing with.. testing etc... 

It is amazing how many OTHER bbs softwares there are out there.. than the ones popularly used.   Only if I find something usable and different will I actually leave it up.. otherwise we dont need more of the same.

James

Well.. looks like I might have gotten stung on the MSS-100 - drag.. it is stuck in a bootup loop..  I see it go through the process.. something it does not seem to like after 10sec.. then shuts down and reboots.. OVER AND OVER.

I dont think I can get any help from Lantronix on this? I find nothing about this in the troubleshooting.. ANYONE??

James

Edited by Bikerbob

looks like it detects no serial and reboots, might be a left over config..

the mss 100 takes a long time to boot also...

You really need to perform a factory reset, then with the mss properly connected to both ethernet and serial, start setting it up...

a perfectly good mss-100 takes 1minute 30 seconds to boot, it performs a sanity check, then ethernet boot methods, then it checks 5 sections of flash, loads and checks boot loader, copies the 5 sections and decompresses them then continues to boot from there, once loaded it finishes the ethernet and internet address chores.

You should not interrupt the process until you've given it a good 1:40

factory reset can take longer.

You should see activity on your serial port set at 9600 baud, 8,n,1 ASCII

after that you can try all setup entry vectors, http, telnet, serial, device installer (older one), etc etc

Edited by _The Doctor__