IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

I have taken my 8 GB desktop, wiped everything on it and am in the middle of installing Linux Mint, all of my programs are on the cloud anyways and I want to try to get two com ports to work with Steem or Hatari under Linux. I intend to run the BBS under an emulator , but will leave the real ST untouched an running all of tonight while I work on the dial up problem of an emulator. Everything is set up on my BBS I just have to turn it on now, I was working on getting all 10 of my online games to run, and I am proud to say that all 10 work  ok.  I will put up a list later.

As for the PC all I have to loose is Windows 10 and it sucks , so why not got to Linux Mint Cinnamon version for a fresh start?

Russ

On 8/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, rcamp48 said:

Spy Visits Spy BBS is now fully operational and has 5 working online games, everything seems to work OK on the 5 games that I have:

1) Dark Lord's Castle

2) DDST -- The Adventure Online Game Vers 1.12

3) Empire -- World War Beta

4) World of Wrestling Federation Online Game

5) ST National, an Atari ST Drag Race Game

Sorry but I should have posted this in the ST section, however it pertains to BBS's in general so I will leave it here. I will try to get a few 8 Bit Online games going soon. Russ

I just tried the wrestling game and your BBS locked up. :( 

-JP

Edit: I was able to logon again and tried the ST National Drag Race Game. It's unplayable when you logon to your BBS with ATASCII mode. This game (and I suspect your other games) assume ASCII translation.

Edited by JohnPolka

• 3 weeks later...

http://sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

sneak peek..

Alcatraz Girac the Warden EM  BBS Express Pro! v2.1a  64.121.84.164 (9000)   Unknown Aug 2019  
Boot Factory 2k Abdul EM  BBS Express Pro! v2.1a  71.62.4.174 (8888)   On Line Aug 2019  
Dark Force DarkLord ST  BBS Express! ST v1.98a  173.80.206.35 (520)   On Line Aug 2019  
MouseNet Ralf-Markus A8  Old BBS Express v1.0  79.239.91.148 (8888)   On Line Aug 2019  
Part Time BBS John Polka EM  BBS Express Pro! v2.1a  24.22.120.147 (8000)   On Line Aug 2019  
ST Guild Arch Mage ST  BBS Express! v1.98a  24.29.204.255 (23)   Unknown Aug 2019  
STar Fleet HQ Commodore Clifford ST  RatSoft ST v2.1c  99.135.61.89 (5983)   On Line Aug 2019  
The Basement John Polka EM  BBS Express Pro! v2.1a  24.22.120.147 (9000)   On Line Aug 2019  
The Bates Motel MacRorie ST  BBS Express! ST v1.98a  76.14.174.25 (8888)   On Line Aug 2019  
The Grove Skeezix EM  BBS Express! ST v1.98a  24.212.215.196 (23)   Off Line Aug 2019  
The Resistance Beavis A8  BBS Express Pro! v4.0  73.154.49.234 (10001)   On Line Aug 2019  
The Veteran Adventurer's Guild Guildmaster Tillek A8  Carina v2.7  99.135.61.89 (3523)   On Line Aug 2019  
Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there is only 1 and I can't think of it off the top of my head, but chances are there will be more as we keep hearing someones going to do this or that. I might even be one of those somebodies if I can get the energy to do this stuff again or remember to do something from day to day.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 8:00 AM, Dropcheck said:

Does someone have a current list of BBSs and addresses?

I'm trying to test my SIO2wifi board and need to see if it's a go for wireless connection between the Atari and my rtr and the internet reachable BBSs. 

Dropcheck this is a board you are making? or you bought one and want to test it? how did the tests go btw?

If you are making it.. it would be really helpful to have one of these that supports the FULL Hayes AT command set.. because so much of the software back in the day was designed for it. Part of the issues today using Lantronix devices and some of the other wifi or wired "modem" devices is they only support a limited what they think they need command set.. and thats most certainly not true on the BBS end.

James

24 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

Dropcheck this is a board you are making? or you bought one and want to test it? how did the tests go btw?

If you are making it.. it would be really helpful to have one of these that supports the FULL Hayes AT command set.. because so much of the software back in the day was designed for it. Part of the issues today using Lantronix devices and some of the other wifi or wired "modem" devices is they only support a limited what they think they need command set.. and thats most certainly not true on the BBS end.

James

Not to mention all the control lines. (CD RI, RTS, CTS, etc).

Though what might be good, if easy to implement......... and something the market hasn't seen yet......

An SIO device that mimics a 1030/XM301 or SX212 as SIO... For the software that used those devices (including potentially a ring detector for the joystick port).

That would be somewhat epic.

• Like 1

The board I am developing is not really meant to run a BBS on.  It's purpose is to connect wirelessly to the user's router and use it to communicate with either an internal BBS or external BBS accessible via the internet as a client machine.  It's basically an internal version of Stephan Both's sio2wifi board. 

Now that means of course no hardware control lines since it's based off half the common Rverter circuit.  Atari software that implements software flow control should work normally.  You will have the ability to disconnect it from the SIO port via a motor control signal switch.

Further features such as implementing full flow hardware control etc might be possible, but it would require considerable more development resources than I have at this time. 

Edited by Dropcheck

23 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

You would think it would be a matter of firmware right? Yeah.. that joystick port thing.. grrrrrr.  But to get PUFF BBS running you have to have one.  

James

Or the 1030 version of AMIS (which is what I had modified back in the day).  I also remember some good 1030 term programs too....

3 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Do you know of a BBS that has files for downloading?

I've been able to connect to one BBS, so I know the basic connection is okay.  The next step is to verify file transfer and chat options. 

Mine (SFHQ) will be back up in a few hours.  Took it down because of a threat of thunderstorms (lost a Mega STE to a strike back in April and a Falcon 030 a few years before that).  It's ST though.  But there are download files, and you can do a telnet or raw connection.

I'll post when it's up.

If you're looking for A8, The Basement should have files and JP should be able to be around for chat if you give him a heads up,.

4 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I've been able to connect to one BBS, so I know the basic connection is okay.  The next step is to verify file transfer and chat options. 

Telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com : 8888

I recommend XModem-1K for the transfer protocol.

Edited by bf2k+
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

SFHQ is back up.  If you wanted to test with telnet, the port is 5983 like it is on the list. I also have a raw port set at 5431 (same url).  Lots of protocols to choose from.

14 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

The Basement and Part-Time BBSs have files for download too (see my signature for telnet addresses).

Incidentally, some of the BBSs use telnet protocol (I believe SFHQ and Boot Factory use telnet mode) and others (such as the Basement, Part-Time, and the Resistance) use raw mode. So, it probably would be good to try file transfers on a variety of BBSs.

You probably should also test uploading too.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka