IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

6 hours ago, Jacques said:

Isn't DarkForce getting down from time to time, lately?

Hmm, hadn't noticed...

We are in Eastern Kentucky here in the US, and we do see quite a few thunderstorms

during the spring/summer months, so sometimes the power does go out. That's why

several years ago I installed a UPS which gives the BBS 30" of back up time. Some

times though, the power outage goes longer than that... <shrugs>

Other than that, and what few times I pull the BBS offline to "tinker" with it  :) ,

it's usually pretty reliable.

If another caller is online, you won't be able to connect of course and while it's not

an overwhelming number of calls that we get, it's a fair amount (usually 50-100 per

month). It's possible that's what happening.

If you can't connect, give it a while then try again. If you feel that it's more than just

other callers, please PM me here and I will immediately check. Thanks! 

PS Ooops, see that others already commented....  :)

• Thanks 1

To the group - a few sysops are trying to solve a problem with ForemXE - Any insight to the PWAPP file? Seems to not be created by the initialization programs or other utilities. This group has worked through a large batch of cleaning up code and optimizing for brining up a few new BBS's. This is the last piece and a bit stuck.. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Amis said:

To the group - a few sysops are trying to solve a problem with ForemXE - Any insight to the PWAPP file? Seems to not be created by the initialization programs or other utilities. This group has worked through a large batch of cleaning up code and optimizing for brining up a few new BBS's. This is the last piece and a bit stuck.. 

Thanks!

Which version?  I had a working 5.4 that I played with for awhile long ago... I don't see that file anywhere in the install media or in the installed setup and it seemed to be running fine.

20 hours ago, Tillek said:

Which version?  I had a working 5.4 that I played with for awhile long ago... I don't see that file anywhere in the install media or in the installed setup and it seemed to be running fine.

Thanks for checking. We just created a TXT file and it seems to be working. Not sure that will hold as the routine references password indexing. 

2 hours ago, Amis said:

Thanks for checking. We just created a TXT file and it seems to be working. Not sure that will hold as the routine references password indexing. 

I noticed what appeared to be a Forem directory on one of the FujiNet servers.... is that the one you guys are using?  I could try to compare it with what I had.

5 hours ago, Tillek said:

Or just give you my ATRs, though I'm wondering if they came from the same place.

The version was picked up from original disks. We compared to a few online and all seen the same. Thanks for the offer of your ATR’s and no need as we just tested and have a complete working board. Now it’s up to the sysop to take forward the final details.. Looks like we will have a few forem xl boards coming online.. appreciate the support.

I am going to create a podcast with all of my experiences of running an Atari BBS back in the early 90s, it will be put up here , I will be talking about all of the good old days of Atari Computers and running a BBS for them. Topics will be Why did we do this so long ago and why did we get involved in pirating at the time? and what role did the pirates create in the preservation of not just Atari Software, but of the history of Atari Run BBS's , I will log onto sevral current Atari run BBS's and screen capture them, then post the results here and on Facebook. 

Of course I will make use of all of my creative talents to do so. This may take several weeks to do a thourough job of doing that. 

On the other hand I am aquiring around 5 or 6 zip drives , cables and power supplies with many zip disks, all you need for the Atari Portfolio is a licenced driver for the zip drive , a working zip drive, (I open them , clean and oil the mechanisms, put them back together), and ONE zip disk will hold the entire Atari Portfolio Library in 3 32 meg partitions that the Portfolio can access.

As far as the IDE kits are concerned we are close to having  a workiing modified parallel port, Don has run into a snag with the Parallel port that he is working on, the 25 pin connector is different than all of the others, he happened to pick one of 3 parallel ports that I had and it is different, I will show a picture of it, all of the resistors are soldered in , but he has to run wires around to the back of it.

The IDE interface prototype has been made, it has been waiting for modifications to the parallel port for 5 months, (Don is really busy with outside work right now, he has another job that brings in his family income and that has priorities, but the interface is coming.)

seprt 30 2020.jpg

Oct 3 2020.jpg

On 10/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, Amis said:

The version was picked up from original disks. We compared to a few online and all seen the same. Thanks for the offer of your ATR’s and no need as we just tested and have a complete working board. Now it’s up to the sysop to take forward the final details.. Looks like we will have a few forem xl boards coming online.. appreciate the support.

Cool... great to hear!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey folks - are there any still running Atari BBSes left that can be connected to with an analog modem?

I have a few old models I want to test, and I think I can use a VOIP-analog phone adapter to connect at least at some kind of slow speed.. just to see if it works..   (Grandstream HT701)

6 hours ago, Xebec said:

Hey folks - are there any still running Atari BBSes left that can be connected to with an analog modem?

I have a few old models I want to test, and I think I can use a VOIP-analog phone adapter to connect at least at some kind of slow speed.. just to see if it works..   (Grandstream HT701)

Yes a very small few. Try JP's board usually pretty good luck with the dial up VOIP - Basement BBS 503-245-5416 

I was able to connect to The Backyard BBS 905-895-5904 in Ontario a few months ago with my own VoIP ATA. (GrandStream HT802, with 2nd port set for no echo cancellation or voice activity detection, G.711 uncompressed, low jitter buffer)

https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/backyard-board/

Larger list of systems (including non-atari) that still have modem access here:

https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/connection/dial-up/list/detail/

2 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Larger list of systems (including non-atari) that still have modem access here:

https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/connection/dial-up/list/detail/

You know, I didn't realize (or forgot) that DarkForce was on this list. Bare minimum, skeletal information.

I created an account and (re)claimed DarkForce so I'll update the info as soon as they respond.

Thanks.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, Xebec said:

The Basement BBS (Atari 8-bit) has dial-up access at 503-245-5416.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

Yes, it's public posted in a couple of forums here.  You'd have to search to download what we have gathered so far.

But from my list we have:

----A8----

ADCM BBS

AIE BBS

AMIS BBS

Antic BBCS

AT Keep

ATARDIS BBS

AtariLink BBS

BBS Express!

Carina 2.6 and 2.7

FoReM 26m and 7.4

ForemXL 2-2 Corvus Ver 1

FoReM XE Pro 4.8 and 5.4

ForeSight-BBS

Hutch BBS

OASIS BBS

Bob Puff's BBS

----ST----

Express BBS ST!

FoReM ST

Mitchtron 1.0

@Tillek could chime in and see if there is more...