IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

26 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

That's weird. On Syncterm, I just set Screen mode to Atari under the BBS listings. For example,

syncterm-screen.png

When I change screen mode under SyncTerm it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't run Windows, perhaps I'll try reinstalling SyncTerm. I might compile from source.

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

When I change screen mode under SyncTerm it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't run Windows, perhaps I'll try reinstalling SyncTerm. I might compile from source.

I seem to recall (at least on macOS) needing to restart SyncTerm before the change in character set would apply.  Never used it under other platforms (IIRC), though, so no idea about those ones.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

44 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I seem to recall (at least on macOS) needing to restart SyncTerm before the change in character set would apply.  Never used it under other platforms (IIRC), though, so no idea about those ones.

I run MacOS and SyncTerm and have not experienced this issue. Agree with JP maybe reinstall as your version maybe off from the last build 

1 minute ago, Amis said:

I run MacOS and SyncTerm and have not experienced this issue. Agree with JP maybe reinstall as your version maybe off from the last build 

Oh, this was an historical issue.  Until serial cables for my 850 arrive, I won't be able to test whether or not it's still a problem.

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Where did you download this from?

Actually nowhere... Tom Hunt wrote this back in 1999 and I took over development of it shortly after that.  It used to be available on my Atari website but now that is gone.  I could make it available to download here as long as it is understood that this is a very old program written in M$ VB 6.  It cannot be upgraded to new VB due to a missing instruction that was removed in VB.Net and subsequent versions.  I do not know if it can be installed in Windows 10 (although I could and should test that).  I last installed it in Windows 7 and then converted that PC to Windows 10 and it still functions here.  There may be other 'caveats' that I am forgetting...  but if anyone really wants to try it and understands that they are on their own with it, I can put it back up here.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Tillek said:

I thought you were anti Windows/Linux only?

Dang right. Unfortunately though, my favorite MMO, Guild Wars 2 doesn't run fast enough under my Linux setup

to play it like I want to (I do PvP, World Vs World, etc, where lag will kill you faster than lickety-split).  So..I'm 

forced to run a Win7 box for that. I also use Hero Lab on it (that is supposed to run under Linux and I did have 

it running there but an update broke it and I've not quite figured out what went wrong yet). 

Also, my wife is allergic to Linux...well, okay - maybe she's not allergic to it but when I try to get her to use it, 

I swear she breaks out in hives.  :)

1 hour ago, Amis said:

Yes - Southern Amis is Atascii only so if you attempt to log-in with ascii or other, it will message Atascii only and to change your settings 2035157_ScreenShot2021-02-21at10_00_11PM.thumb.png.63705b1d250d2fe3166dba75f0714949.png

This is interesting, I think there's something wrong with the Linux and possibly MacOS builds that result in issues if you try to connect to any BBS using ATASCII or PETSCII. I downloaded the Win32 build and ran it via Wine and everything works perfectly first try, quite possibly Qodem is the same - I bet if I ran the Win32 build it would connect just fine...

4jN3TTn.png

So I compiled and installed Syncterm on the Pi400. Oddly enough you can connect just fine and ATASCII works as predicted with (almost) perfect ATASCII emulation, but the return keypress isn't being detected so you get booted off.

It's not a BBS issue as the same thing happens regarding PETSCII BBS's....Frustrating.

ds7afOO.png

Edited by Mazzspeed

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

So I compiled and installed Syncterm on the Pi400. Oddly enough you can connect just fine and ATASCII works as predicted with (almost) perfect ATASCII emulation, but the return keypress isn't being detected so you get booted off.

It's not a BBS issue as the same thing happens regarding PETSCII BBS's....Frustrating.

Did you try pressing control Enter instead of Enter when the Atari BBS asks to press Return? On some targets, Syncterm requires control Enter. Not sure why.

-JP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnPolka said:

Did you try pressing control Enter instead of Enter when the Atari BBS asks to press Return? On some targets, Syncterm requires control Enter. Not sure why.

-JP

John, you are the Man! Thank you.

That was all it took. I searched and searched and couldn't find that answer.

OskalcI.png

• Like 2

If you are talking about music on BBS's I have a complete legal audio section for streaming on my BBS, it only cost me $120 Canadian for a year for the Socan rights to play MP3s and Wave files, but they do not go online to the general public until Friday, by then I will have my license fees paid and under the web side of the BBS I will have from ABBA to ZZ-TOP in both stereo and surround 5.1 (could do it in surround sound 7.1 too, my conversion program supports it). The address of my BBS is at Christ Followers BBS, the telnet side is at telnet://christfollowersbbs.ca and yes I have a huge Atari section, already online, from 2600 files to Falcon files. I also have FTP available for massive downloading but it has yet to be set up.

So now you can listen to some tunes and download Atari files, (but not at the same time , sorry). 

Happy downloading and listening , Russ Campbell

• Like 1

Thought Lost but now found Bob Puff's Puff BBS. Needs work but looks complete. Posting here and on BBS Guru's for preservation. Will be working on the program as part of the restorations. Also posted with others on the downloads of southernamis.com 

If anyone is able to make progress or needs support, feel free to get in touch on southernamis.ddns.net:23 or email southernamis@yahoo.com

-Amis

PuffBBS.atr.zip

• Like 2

Most excellent. I thought Puff BBS had been lost to nothingness.

Meanwhile, my instance of FoReM-26M, the first of its kind in over 35 years, fully resurrected, is now in its permanent place, having been migrated to SpartaDOS and ripping out the brain damaged clock routines for ones that read the my U1MB's clock.

Host: irata.online Port: 6502

The files section is being filled in, with Games being reasonably complete. I'll be adding in more as I can.

-Thom

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Meanwhile, my instance of FoReM-26M, the first of its kind in over 35 years, fully resurrected, is now in its permanent place, having been migrated to SpartaDOS and ripping out the brain damaged clock routines for ones that read the my U1MB's clock.

Very NICE! 

(Brain-damaged clock routines is the truth - I could tell you a story...)