IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

6 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I thought about making all new users validated. It isn’t really like the old days where we didn’t want someone loging in a d leech all our warez and then leave.

I know in some instances it would allow hackers to log on and post dumb messages but I don’t know how often this really would be an issue. What do you think?

New users have limited access and time on my BBSs. This means those who are "one hit wonders" (i.e., call once and never return) or are just there to create a fake account (like the Russian Hackers I've had recently), they're not tying up the system too much for our regular callers. I do allow new users to post message on the general message base. I used to not allow any posting by new users, but I think it helps get them plugged into the BBS if they want to post something.

My new user policy has come in handy recently with the Russian Hackers who have been logging onto my BBS and creating fake accounts. The hackers are mostly harmless except they can tie up the system from our regular users if they had the same amount of time and access as validated users. Plus, when they start sending random characters to the BBS (which I have observed them do), there's less chance of harm when they only have access to a subset of commands. I have considered temporarily restricting my BBS to ATASCII only until the hackers die down. But I decided not to since I have some active ASCII-only users.

Back in the day, I actually called and voice validated users. That was always a tedious process. I stopped doing that when I observed my step dad validate a user on his BBS without calling them. I asked him about it and he said as long as their info looks legit, he doesn't bother calling them. So, I started doing the same. However, today most users do not want to give out their phone number for privacy reasons. But most users are willing to give you an email address. I modified my BBS to ask for an email address instead of a physical address. That seems to work well. I send email to new users to let them know they now have full access to the BBS. I think sending the email has helped cut down the "one hit wonders" as it serves as a reminder for them to log on again. Many new users are trying out lots of BBSs and it's easy for them to lose track of which ones they have active accounts on.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

18 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet (80 pages in this thread), but is there a way to hit the Atari BBS's using an emulator?  I ask because the new version of Classic99 (TI 99/4a) has this feature and it got me thinking...

As Doc said, Altirra and the other Atari emulators have had this ability for awhile. Another option is Syncterm which does a decent job with emulating ATASCII (the Atari 8 bit graphics character set). You can download Syncterm at https://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

-JP

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Thank you guys.  I did not know that.  Sorry for my ignorance.  I will try fiddling around with Altirra this weekend.

If you get stuck getting Altirra online let me know, I configured Altirra for dialing into BBS's using the emulated modem and R: handler quite recently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet (80 pages in this thread), but is there a way to hit the Atari BBS's using an emulator?  I ask because the new version of Classic99 (TI 99/4a) has this feature and it got me thinking...

Well, to be fair, it depends on the emulator.  For Altirra, as you probably already saw the replies, it's easy.  For the ST emulators, maybe not so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tillek said:

Well, to be fair, it depends on the emulator.  For Altirra, as you probably already saw the replies, it's easy.  For the ST emulators, maybe not so much.

Good to know.  I'm mostly interested in re-living my BBS days on an Atari 800XL back in the 80's.  I'll start with Altirra for now!  Thank you all for the replies. 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, Mazzspeed said:

If you get stuck getting Altirra online let me know, I configured Altirra for dialing into BBS's using the emulated modem and R: handler quite recently.

Of course Rick better get help from you right away, right? When your 600XL arrives you will be "unavailable".  ;-)

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

Im honestly shocked I see less ppl than I thought I would on here from the old bbs days. 
i wonder if

the warden from the jail bbs express toronto

sweet marie from the echo bbs express toronto

are around? 

roger waters bbs express st

the only sysop of a bbs i remember that inseen on here is programmers aid and indoubt he would know me lol

Thewarden, reddevil, sweetmarie, dragonlord, whocares, weird al, dungeon master, many others are any of you hiding here?

Im honestly shocked I see less ppl than I thought I would on here from the old bbs days. 
i wonder if
the warden from the jail bbs express toronto
sweet marie from the echo bbs express toronto

are around? 

roger waters bbs express st

the only sysop of a bbs i remember that inseen on here is programmers aid and indoubt he would know me lol

Thewarden, reddevil, sweetmarie, dragonlord, whocares, weird al, dungeon master, many others are any of you hiding here?

I am here. (Off and on). Alcatraz was resurrected in 2017 and is up via telnet
Alcatrazbbs.ddns.net port 9000

[_Giarc_The_Warden_]
Or just Craig these days. (Yes giarc is Craig spelled backwards. Lol)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I am here. (Off and on). Alcatraz was resurrected in 2017 and is up via telnet
Alcatrazbbs.ddns.net port 9000

[_Giarc_The_Warden_]
Or just Craig these days. (Yes giarc is Craig spelled backwards. Lol)

Alcatra = the jail bbs in toronto?

no right?

Edited by oo7

10 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

hmm I forgot about weird al even though I love Yankoviks music and listen to Weird Al all the time, I forgot about the sysop weird al... thanks for the reminder....

Hmmmm im thinking i might remember a the doctor on the old bbses. His bbs last ran on a ST, his wife looked after it if memory serves he was on the road alot