IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

7 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Also (at the risk of starting a I DON'T WANNA CHANGE! fight) why in the hell are you guys not writing for the N: device?! R: is a dead end.

N: for example, has NONE of the problems of concurrent mode.

-Thom

Is the N: device something that is available with Fujinet?  Otherwise I don't know what it is.  I only drop in here about once every few years or so.  Anything that I work with will be run on Altirra for testing and then real hardware later.  Is the N: device available in Altirra?

18 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

yes. It's just there because. Roughly a few hundred files at the moment.

-Thom

Ill probably get to see. Slowly getting back into BBSing lol.

Joined the basement last night, will use it a bit soon and then probably join a few others. Kinda nice seeing this sort of stuff again.

1 minute ago, bf2k+ said:

Is the N: device something that is available with Fujinet?  Otherwise I don't know what it is.  I only drop in here about once every few years or so.  Anything that I work with will be run on Altirra for testing and then real hardware later.  ID the N: device available in Altirra?

sigh...

Yes. It's a swiss army knife device for FujiNet that adapts the wider network into both SIO and CIO.

It provides protocol adapters, like:

* TCP sockets

* UDP sockets

* TELNET (TCP with telnet processing)

* HTTP (and HTTPS)

* TNFS (the file sharing protocol we use for mounting disks)

* FTP

It can be accessed, either directly via SIO (talking to devices $70 to $78), or it can be used via the NDEV.COM CIO handler (which is present on every disk in DOS/ on the atari-apps.irata.online TNFS server), while there still needs to be a SpartaDOS X kernel driver, the NDEV handler can work outside of the SpartaDOS X command processor.

At the SIO level, it provides all the commands you need to do network I/O:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/SIO-Commands-for-Device-IDs-%2471-to-%2478

And these commands are also used at the CIO level by NDEV.COM to provide a N: device that e.g. can be used from BASIC, or other programs:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/CIO-Commands-for-N-Device

N: is not stream oriented at all, but rather block oriented, which matches up very well with the packet oriented nature of the network. To help keep SIO polling traffic low, the #FujiNet device uses the PROCEED interrupt line to indicate to the Atari when traffic is present (and is vectored by NDEV.COM to signal when traffic is ready)

Because N: abstracts all sorts of protocols, tons of crazy things are possible, e.g.:

RUN"N:HTTP://FUJINET-TESTING.IRATA.ONLINE/BLACKJACK.BAS"

OPEN #1,12,3,"N:HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/"

OPEN #2,12,0,"N:TCP://SOME.ATARI.COM/"

GET #1,A:PUT #2,A

Or edit a HTML document in AtariWriter, etc.

etc.

A simple Netcat program (dumb terminal)

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/A-Simple-NetCat-Program

A cheat sheet for game developers

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/N%3A-Game-Developer-Cheat-Sheet

As for availability, it is currently available on FujiNet and FujiNet-PC (@apc's port), and am hoping somebody will make the bridge to connect to Altirra's device server code.

I've busted my ass to literally obsolete R: and cover it in gasoline, please use it.

-Thom

7 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Why do MOST of the BBS programs not run under SpartaDOS X? What are the reasons?

Are there any that do?

With all of the BBS source code available out there, maybe we sysops should work on this...

Memory conflicts probably.

4 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

@Mazzspeed any update on your 600XL? We are on the edge of our seats awaiting for your grand entrance into the wonderful world of native Atari BBSing!  Don't hide now. We want updates! :) 

-JP

[Grumble]...

...Nope, not yet.

I think someone's trying to sail a boat with my 600XL on board from WA to Vic across the desert.

It'll get here, all in good time! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

[Grumble]...

...Nope, not yet.

I think someone's trying to sail a boat with my 600XL on board from WA to Vic across the desert.

It'll get here, all in good time! :)

It’s All good Mazz! You got the insurance right? We all have your back on this deal! 

Wow... that was a blast from the past.... Found mine there... Though they got the starting date wrong by a few years (I was 9 back in 1982).

But this one really got to me...  Bought my first ST from Terry.  I remember him well.  Don's was also one of the best BBS's in Akron (and one of the few that stayed Atari if I recall)  Also gone :(  RIP guys.

330-253-9247
Akron, Ohio
Akron Connection, ECHO HUB 500
(1982-1996)
Terry Russell Remote Access
  "I was the SysOp of this BBS. I run it non stop for 14 years. Originally it was on an Atari 800, with an Hayes 300 baud modem. At that time I was running a modified version of Amis BBS program. The name was Atari Express, and remained that way for about 6 years. At that point I want to attract more than the dewindling Atari userbase and decided to switch the name to Akron Connection when I switched over to an Atari 520ST to run it on. I run Michtron BBS software at that point with a 20 meg HD and supported Atari 8bit, Atari 16bit, C64/128, Amiga, and of course IBM compatables. Less than a year later I switched to a IBM clone and become a beta tester for Tim Purves PC version of Michtron BBS. Over the years I made many friends and met many people. Many are friends to this day. One such friend is Don Crano. He was the sysop of Rubber City Atari BBS. His BBS ran non stop for 1981 until 1997 I believe and was the oldest and longest running BBS in our area. Because of our strong ties in the Atari community we joined an Atari usergroup "Cuyahoga Vally Atari Users Group" Eventually become President and Vice President of it and I also was the newletter editor for many years. Well you have awakened many memories of a great era, thanks and I'm looking forward to reading your work." - Terry Russell
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Wow... that was a blast from the past.... Found mine there... Though they got the starting date wrong by a few years (I was 9 back in 1982).

But this one really got to me...  Bought my first ST from Terry.  I remember him well.  Don's was also one of the best BBS's in Akron (and one of the few that stayed Atari if I recall)  Also gone :(  RIP guys.

330-253-9247
Akron, Ohio
Akron Connection, ECHO HUB 500
(1982-1996)
Terry Russell Remote Access
  "I was the SysOp of this BBS. I run it non stop for 14 years. Originally it was on an Atari 800, with an Hayes 300 baud modem. At that time I was running a modified version of Amis BBS program. The name was Atari Express, and remained that way for about 6 years. At that point I want to attract more than the dewindling Atari userbase and decided to switch the name to Akron Connection when I switched over to an Atari 520ST to run it on. I run Michtron BBS software at that point with a 20 meg HD and supported Atari 8bit, Atari 16bit, C64/128, Amiga, and of course IBM compatables. Less than a year later I switched to a IBM clone and become a beta tester for Tim Purves PC version of Michtron BBS. Over the years I made many friends and met many people. Many are friends to this day. One such friend is Don Crano. He was the sysop of Rubber City Atari BBS. His BBS ran non stop for 1981 until 1997 I believe and was the oldest and longest running BBS in our area. Because of our strong ties in the Atari community we joined an Atari usergroup "Cuyahoga Vally Atari Users Group" Eventually become President and Vice President of it and I also was the newletter editor for many years. Well you have awakened many memories of a great era, thanks and I'm looking forward to reading your work." - Terry Russell

I was a frequent caller there - crazy, I even recognized the number when I saw your post.  Found a phone list I was using with BBSExpress probably in 1987 (everything would have been 216 area code - and this was back when we only had to dial 7 digits).

StairwayToHeaven 784-0574
Rubber City 376-7618
Chips Hospital 929-8483  
Akron Connection 253-9247
Starship 724-9292
Hamnet 867-6984
The Legend 825-6836
ABBS 929-1176
The Hospital 784-5727
PMS AKRON 867-7563
STAR#1 753-1199
Arcadia 644-1014
Pipeline 836-0990
Kenmore Klone 745-9355
Database 896-9500
RealmOfUnderworld 825-0570
STAR#2 699-4645
VBBS 644-1965
Datacomm 699-4645
Akron Digital 745-7855
Akron University 375-6815
Sysop=Paul,Greg 929-8403
Sysop=George 867-5540
Sysop=Larry 644-0028

This disk has the opening ATASCII and a command menu from Stairway to Heaven as well.

I always wondered what happened to Angel at Stairway to Heaven... (Loved playing Robowar there... that was a big reason why I went with Carina and why I just can't get it put back up unless I can get it running with Robowar/Zenobia again).

Alas, nothing is playing nice.

If The Legend was Mark Daniels, I remember that one.  Rubber City of course... but most of those I never called (or only called rarely).

1 hour ago, moonlight_mile said:

While trying to find out the name of one particular old bbs I stumbled across this webpage. I think most of the numbers are ones that ended up on pc bbses but some of the old Atari boards are listed.

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/usbbs.html

Sorry if this was posted before.

Here was my father's entry.

image.thumb.png.4413e7e6d95a41d8107b1ecbe8677cbe.png

-Thom

• Like 2