IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

5 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

You've been trying to call the Basement using dial-up? I didn't know that. :) What type of modem are you using? Are you using a VOIP service?

-JP

Nah, I was referring to the telnet end of things, of course... Sorry for the confusion.  :)

It's just a little disheartening, going through the telnet BBS list on one of DarkForces' random

logoff screens.... I'm only able to connect to a very small number.  :(

7 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Nah, I was referring to the telnet end of things, of course... Sorry for the confusion.  :)

It's just a little disheartening, going through the telnet BBS list on one of DarkForces' random

Well, it depends on how they connect..... Remember the lantronix ones show not able to connect if they're in use.

That happens a lot more than it used to. ;)

5 hours ago, DarkLord said:

The Basement is not on your random logoff screen. But it's up (both telnet and dial-up). :) Part-Time BBS is up too. You can get the telnet addresses in my signature file below.

-JP

Yeah, about that...

Anyone who connects to DarkForce will be there via telnet. So, typically

I don't put dial-up BBS's on the logoff screen. I do have them listed in

an option from the MainMenu (pretty sure - I'll dbl-check that).

Also <big deep breath> I don't typically put BBS's on the logoff screen

that aren't running on real Atari hardware and software. Just my own

preference, nothing personal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarkLord said:

Yeah, about that...

Anyone who connects to DarkForce will be there via telnet. So, typically

I don't put dial-up BBS's on the logoff screen. I do have them listed in

an option from the MainMenu (pretty sure - I'll dbl-check that).

Also <big deep breath> I don't typically put BBS's on the logoff screen

that aren't running on real Atari hardware and software. Just my own

preference, nothing personal.

I agree it must be a real hardware BBS, but I do not agree with not listing dial up BBS's... it's what a BBS used from the start.... if you are providing a hand off, pass through, or door to the other BBS's that's another can of worms...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I agree it must be a real hardware BBS, but I do not agree with not listing dial up BBS's... it's what a BBS used from the start.... if you are providing a hand off, pass through, or door to the other BBS's that's another can of worms...

Doc, it's not that I'm NOT listing them at DarkForce - they are listed from a MainMenu

option.

It's just that I don't put them on the random logoff screen. As I said, people are at my

BBS via telnet - so that's what they are using (not saying that they can't still do dial-up,

mind you).

Also, unless I wanted to go to a scrolling logoff screen, or multiple logoff screens, there

simply isn't enough room on that screen. Hence, listing them from the MainMenu.

Is that a bit more clear? (I tend to muddle my answers up horribly).  :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Doc, it's not that I'm NOT listing them at DarkForce - they are listed from a MainMenu

option.

It's just that I don't put them on the random logoff screen. As I said, people are at my

BBS via telnet - so that's what they are using (not saying that they can't still do dial-up,

mind you).

Also, unless I wanted to go to a scrolling logoff screen, or multiple logoff screens, there

simply isn't enough room on that screen. Hence, listing them from the MainMenu.

Is that a bit more clear? (I tend to muddle my answers up horribly).  :)

Actually your BBS has dial-up service. I guess whoever set it up did not tell you. :) 

See https://www.reddit.com/r/bbs/comments/mh9cmz/bbs_dialup_modem_pool_part_2/

And search for "Dark Force". 

Boot Factory and Amis XE BBS (a.k.a. Amis86) also have access to this dial-up service too. :)

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

2 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

Actually your BBS has dial-up service. I guess whoever set it up did not tell you. :) 

See https://www.reddit.com/r/bbs/comments/mh9cmz/bbs_dialup_modem_pool_part_2/

And search for "Dark Force". 

Boot Factory and Amis XE BBS (a.k.a. Amis86) also have access to this dial-up service too. :)

-JP

Interesting. I don't remember being told about it.  :)

I'm wondering if that is actually us though. It's actually

"DarkForce" not Dark Forces...

1 minute ago, bf2k+ said:

I'll ask him... ;)

hahahahaha! 

By the way, I can only use ASCII/ANSI/VT52 modes with this dial-up service. ATASCII doesn't seem to work. I think the dial-up service chokes on the ATASCII EOL character for some reason.

Also, it can sometimes be tricky making a connection. At least from the Portland dial-in number there seems to be at least one modem that will spew garbage. Maybe it has inferior error correction (or it's just a bad modem).

-JP

5 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

:)

Quick question, what advantage does it offer to call in by dial-up, using

this service?

I don't know. But there are a few users out there that still like to dial into a BBS. I have 3-4 regular dial-up users on my BBS.

Two of them only call dial-up BBSs.

Also, I don't use this service. I have a dial-up modem hooked up to a copper landline.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

14 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

:)

Quick question, what advantage does it offer to call in by dial-up, using

this service?

To follow-up on your question...

I can think of one advantage from a caller perspective...

This service provides local dial-up numbers in several major U.S. cities. I don't have a long distance plan on my landline, so unless I use a calling card, I can only call local numbers. Surprising, there is one other dial-up BBS in my local calling area (The Keep). But with this service, I can call into the local Portland number and connect to all the BBSs listed in that link above.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

1 minute ago, JohnPolka said:

To follow-up on your question...

I can think of one advantage from a caller perspective...

This service has provides local dial-up numbers to several major U.S. cities. I don't have a long distance plan on my landline, so unless I use a calling card, I can only call local numbers. Surprising, there is one other BBS in my local calling area (The Keep). But with this service, I can call into the local Portland number and connect to all the BBSs listed in that link above.

-JP

Okay, I think you answered my long distance question.  :)

11 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, okay. I was just trying to get the point of it.

Aside from some people still use only dial-up to call

BBS's.  :)

PS Is there the potential here for running up a long

distance phone bill?

Yeah, I'm not sure the motivation behind the individual who set this up. Maybe this is just a free service he set up on the side of a commercial venture of his. Not sure. Then again, there are guys who love telephony so much, they will set up private phone networks for the fun of it. See the youtube videos made the SysOp of DJ's Place BBS as an example. When you connect to DJ's Place through the Internet, a server will then dial-up one of the modems in his internal phone network which then connects you to his BBS.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Just a side note... I do plan to add the dial-ups to the Atari BBS list...  Just haven't managed to get to it yet.

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

depends on the lantronix, some say slightly different things when Info mode or similar is active.

I've heard that, but I haven't actually seen one that says anything.  Just refuses the connection.

But we'll see... If the WiModem232's work fine, it might not be an issue for me at least anymore.

As JP mentioned, the Amis 86 Board is up on the dial up modem pool. It's also running on the WiModem232 at amis86.ddns.net:9000 right now as the testing is completed to run the board on either emulator, or FujiNet or WiModem or modem. If anyone would test the dial up modem pool that would be cool. Couple of dial up numbers below the user id and password for the modem pool is: amis86 

• SoCal - Dana Point: 949-325-9040

• New York City (not a 212 number, unfortunately) : 332-206-0834

• Atlanta: 470-298-3070

• East Los Angeles (Rialto rate center): 909-990-1230

• Albuquerque: 505-208-6370

• Miami (incl. the Keys): 305-749-5008

• Salt Lake City: 385-248-5680

• Las Vegas area (Clark County): 702-620-5120

• Philadelphia (Zone One): 215/798-5050

• Orlando: 407/476-1277

• Boston: 617/993-0512

• San Francisco No.1: 415/231-1260