IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

5 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Hi everyone, thanks to Amis, I now have a good working copy of Forem XE Professional. Now that this part is out of the way , I am going to take the Atari 8 Bit Tosec library and convert it into Forem XE data content that follows the structure for Forem XE Professional, I am actually going to use DIR2ATR to create several 16.7 MB atrs that will serve as data containers to be used with Forem XE Pro.

This will take a lot of work as Tosec is sorta semi organized, I intend the use the A,B,C,D,E,F , etc directory structure up to I believe M, subdirectories will be apps, basic, comms, demos, games, graphics, language, music, program, utility and any other suggestion of a good category.

The hard part will be taking the Tosec list and dividing it all up into separate atrs that will match the category, but once that is done I will release it here and on Facebook for all sysops to use if they choose to use Forem XE Professional.

I will be using Total commander to create , sort, and copy all of the directories, and the use a special command with dir2atr to make up the 16.7 meg atrs. Of course inside these atrs will be more atrs, the newest dir2atr shortens long filenames so I don't have to worry about that.

Here is the part for you AMIS, can you take ForemXE PRO and extend the 20 directory limit to handle 26 directories per drive? That will be needed as my directory structure will eventually be from A-Z, I could do it but you are more familiar with Forem XE Pro than I am.

Give me 1 day and I will have something ready for all Forem XE Pro sysops.

Russ

how could you be so sure joe pesci GIF

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Hi everyone, thanks to Amis, I now have a good working copy of Forem XE Professional. Now that this part is out of the way , I am going to take the Atari 8 Bit Tosec library and convert it into Forem XE data content that follows the structure for Forem XE Professional, I am actually going to use DIR2ATR to create several 16.7 MB atrs that will serve as data containers to be used with Forem XE Pro.

This will take a lot of work as Tosec is sorta semi organized, I intend the use the A,B,C,D,E,F , etc directory structure up to I believe M, subdirectories will be apps, basic, comms, demos, games, graphics, language, music, program, utility and any other suggestion of a good category.

The hard part will be taking the Tosec list and dividing it all up into separate atrs that will match the category, but once that is done I will release it here and on Facebook for all sysops to use if they choose to use Forem XE Professional.

I will be using Total commander to create , sort, and copy all of the directories, and the use a special command with dir2atr to make up the 16.7 meg atrs. Of course inside these atrs will be more atrs, the newest dir2atr shortens long filenames so I don't have to worry about that.

Here is the part for you AMIS, can you take ForemXE PRO and extend the 20 directory limit to handle 26 directories per drive? That will be needed as my directory structure will eventually be from A-Z, I could do it but you are more familiar with Forem XE Pro than I am.

Give me 1 day and I will have something ready for all Forem XE Pro sysops.

Russ

With all due respect... there are no Forem XE Pro Sysops except for the demo.  I am considering it, but if I did, I really have no interest in this collection.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just don't want you wasting your time with something that no one is really interested in.  We all have a limited number of hours in the day and a longer list of Atari Projects that we can probably accomplish in our lifetimes.

So if you want to do it for you, great.  If you want to do it for "someone else" to run with, I suggest waiting until "someone else" lets you know they'll put your efforts to good use.

17 hours ago, Tillek said:

With all due respect... there are no Forem XE Pro Sysops except for the demo.  I am considering it, but if I did, I really have no interest in this collection.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just don't want you wasting your time with something that no one is really interested in.  We all have a limited number of hours in the day and a longer list of Atari Projects that we can probably accomplish in our lifetimes.

So if you want to do it for you, great.  If you want to do it for "someone else" to run with, I suggest waiting until "someone else" lets you know they'll put your efforts to good use.

I am really doing it for myself, so no offense taken, if others are interested then so be it, but I do have only one project right now and this is it, I would love to see it working again, and I think I have a solution for the problem that is occurring with the Z handler, that is part of the problem ,and yes doctor I have given up on the 16.7 MB files, Spartados will read them but not the sub directories , there is a solution for the z: handler not reading on FN , I am working on combining the FN handler with the Z handler, I can see where it is going amiss , in lines 1000 to 1100 it does an xio to the z: handler, that part does not update properly, I do have a solution in mind actually completely removing all references to that part in lines 1000 to 1100 and putting in a series of pokes to addresses that do the same thing. Anyways that might get it going on my end. Russ

For those of you who would like to work on the source code for Forem XE Professional 5.4 I managed to get it in printable form on the PC by listing it to P1 on the fujinet from my 800xl, so we have a workable source to modify if you wish, I am going to add the FN Apetime routine somehow into the program.

foremxe printout.txt

It is best to keep a copy of this unmodified source if you are going to make any changes to it, I was thinking of increasing the baud rate to the highest that the Atari 8 Bit can handle, 9600 may be the fastest, but 56 K may be possible over telnet, Doctor , you can tell me if this is possible? Russ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

All good then... Good luck with the project and safe travels!

Thanks, I will be calling your BBS more often now that I am close to getting my Atari BBS running. I have only had a windows BBS running for a year solid, its at http://christfollowersbbs.ca (supposed to be https but having problems doing that lately, I have a huge Atari file section on it, 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Portfolio, and Falcon).

Russ

On another note, the restoration of the Atari Corporate BBS, Nite Lite has been completed. This was the most challenging (Forem XE pro was 5 hours of work) Nite lite clocks in at 3 weeks of effort to remove the BlackBox requirements which were built into the modem routines along with the device being required for all modem polling and answer. Add to this no screens or menus existed as well as no new user password/account set up and well you get the picture..

Running on nitelite.ddns.net port 9000

This is a real departure from the usual Atari BBS and contains some great features especially in the message bases with find and replace editing, "what" feature for reading reply source message and grouping, database improvements for stability, and low maintenance. 

Available notes: "Paul Swanson's BBS with RAM disk. Paul Swanson was a programmer from the Boston, Massachusetts, USA, area. I'm not sure whether his BBS for the Atari 8-bit has been placed into the public domain or not. This BBS was the first to support a RAMdisk, which Paul Swanson called a "V:" device for "virtual disk". This BBS was written in Atari BASIC and required a joystick hardware "dongle" device. This was notable as being one of the first Atari 8-BIT BBSes that could actually go for a week without having to be rebooted. Pointers to the message base were kept in an Atari "very long string" (for which Atari BASIC is famous). The BBS would only have problems (for the most part) if this string became corrupted." - Atari FAQ

And if you don't want to log into the BBS but get a view:

The Southern Amis Projects, restores and preserve Atari BBS history. Rebuilding BBS programs for the Atari 8Bit  back to ready-to-use reliability and completeness of documentation, source code and sysop support. All BBS's are run active and shared on southernamis.com upon final user testing and completeness of each version for real-hardware, modem, Fujinet, and Emulators. To-date over 10 BBS's from AMIS, FoReM, ESP, AtariLink, Phonem, NightShift, Hutch BBS,NiteLite, Others have been restored under the project. Southern Amis core bbs is Atascii/Atari Only southernamis.ddns.net port 23 and AMIS XE amis86.ddns.net port 9000 for Atascii and Ascii users

• Like 3

Spy Visits Spy BBS is now resurrected and available at telnet://christfollowersbbs.ca port 6502

And yesI will make the software available to anyone that wants it.

I am thinking about restarting ForemNet as well, so you can apply for Node numbers if you want.

Russ

Sorry no 6.0 ok?

I'm confused, why would we need to apply to you to set up our own nodes? I didn't remember the sysop conference that appointed you to be the lead or to handle the node list. You certainly run with things. I appreciate some of what you do, but you are awfully bold to do such things when others have done the hard work to make it happen. Maybe you should have a conversation with folks before assuming such roles.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I'm confused, why would we need to apply to you to set up our own nodes? I didn't remember the sysop conference that appointed you to be the lead or to handle the node list. You certainly run with things. I appreciate some of what you do, but you are awfully bold to do such things when others have done the hard work to make it happen. Maybe you should have a conversation with folks before assuming such roles.

So.... those who are "in the know"... already know.

The others... well.. they're not going to listen to anything until... they... experience it for themselves... and then become one of those who are "in the know".

It's one of the reasons the "real BBS community" doesn't post much here anymore.  We're discussing these things on BBSs.  There is a separate BBS "community"... those who don't actually call real BBSs but just like to talk about them on internet forums.....  That's the only audience who might be confused, and since they never actually enter BBS land... It doesn't matter what they say, think or believe (well, at least it doesn't matter to us, so ....)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

Spy Visits Spy BBS is now resurrected and available at telnet://christfollowersbbs.ca port 6502

I am thinking about restarting ForemNet as well, so you can apply for Node numbers if you want.

Russ

Sorry no 6.0 ok?

Sorry but node numbers are beyond me , I am just not interested, if someone else is doing this I would be interested.

21 minutes ago, Tillek said:

So.... those who are "in the know"... already know.

The others... well.. they're not going to listen to anything until... they... experience it for themselves... and then become one of those who are "in the know".

It's one of the reasons the "real BBS community" doesn't post much here anymore.  We're discussing these things on BBSs.  There is a separate BBS "community"... those who don't actually call real BBSs but just like to talk about them on internet forums.....  That's the only audience who might be confused, and since they never actually enter BBS land... It doesn't matter what they say, think or believe (well, at least it doesn't matter to us, so ....)

What is your BBS address Tillek?

Russ

Sorry no 6.0 ok?

Sorry but whenever I try to connect there is no answer.

Sorry but its down right now I have to totally redo it from the original arc files, apparently the files that I got from the 'latest sources' are corrupt, or have become corrupt. Be assured that I am working on the whole thing as we speak, it might take 3-4 days or more but I will get it done. An example : the Sigutil.bxe is corrupt, as well as several other files. This is my own fault.

I believe the culprit is the unarcing of the various arc file , correct me if I am wrong Amis, but it has to be done on the Atari 8 Bit, I am taking the original files and unarcing them separately on my 800XL, in the meantime try logging into telnet christfollowersbbs.ca port 23 , it has been up for over 2 years and is running solid. Online games etc, and Atari 8 Bit files, over 10 TBs online. This is my original work of making a BBS but it is PC run not Atari, still it serves Atari files. Also for those of you who have Fujinet devices, I have a TNFS server at christfollowersbbs.ca Anyways for the rest of the afternoon I will be working on Forem. I know that there may not be a lot of interest in it, but #1) I have been in isolation for over a month and #2) I am interested in it so thats all that counts. I will also be working on my website by the same name, getting the secured end up and running, I paid for secure service way back in December and it is not working , that is # 1 priority right now.

Edit:  I used the arc files from my directories for disks 2 and 3, so what I had running was definitely corrupt, its was not working right , as the file section was no good.... I may have had a BBS that let you log on , but that was all, still if you want a good BBS, try my telnet site from above. And give the online game Rocking Radio a try, it is cool.

Russ

Edited by rcamp48