IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Welcome - I unfortunately wouldn't have been able to call your board - was in the 216 area code and long distance was damn expensive, especially when using 300 baud!  I did get online starting in 87 with an XM301, fairly quickly upgraded to an SX212.

Elm Street, and Death Star... Greetz.

Just so you know the The Warden is wandering the corridors, he may rattle the cage.

@moonlight_mile (He ran Alcatraz and was Warden of that Island, member of UFP)

@The Warden

Edited by _The Doctor__

It should be mentioned that as the "Commander"(SysOp) of STar Fleet HQ, I'm filing a lawsuit over the rights of the use of UFP.

That said, given that Earth won't be officially under the jurisdiction of Federation courts for another couple hundred years..... we have some time to negotiate a settlement.

• Like 1

You can't sue over the abbreviation... sorry to say... United Federation of Pirates is not the United Federation of Planets... so the Vulcans will raise an Eyebrow and say piss off, these Romulans are all-ways trying to stir sh*t up.  :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You can't sue over the abbreviation... sorry to say... United Federation of Pirates is not the United Federation of Planets... so the Vulcans will raise and Eyebrow and say piss off, these Romulans are allways trying to stir sh*t up.  :)

Vulcan:  Actually, you are incorrect.  He is actually quite capable of bringing the lawsuit.  However, whether their legal team would prevail or not is an entirely different consideration.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, Amis said:

Thought Lost but now found Bob Puff's Puff BBS. Needs work but looks complete. Posting here and on BBS Guru's for preservation. Will be working on the program as part of the restorations. Also posted with others on the downloads of southernamis.com 

If anyone is able to make progress or needs support, feel free to get in touch on southernamis.ddns.net:23 or email southernamis@yahoo.com

-Amis

PuffBBS.atr.zip 4.64 MB · 39 downloads

Isn't this copy an exact copy posted here first:

• 3 weeks later...

I have successfully got my BBS , Spy Visits Spy BBS to connect at 19200 baud, both the one on my Atari 800XL (Node 9001), and the one on Altirra (Node 9002), since nobody is using these node numbers anymore, I have been working on changing the FNET programs to not only work on 19200 but allow for longer internet addresses, I am stilll forking on getting a successful connection to each node than I run (I can run up to 13 or 14 or them concurrently) but why bother until the master program is working right. I have also customized FXEP for my BBS under the Spy Vs Spy theme , I will have a list of line number changes in the rem sections from lines 10 to 40.

The video that I put on YouTube shows what is working: Russ

https://youtu.be/f0pbYZnduNM

I should have a detailed video ready soon that goes through the setup of node numbers on Forem XEP 5.4 if anyone is interested. I have modified the F-Net programs to use modern Telnet, still have to make a video of multiple FXEP BBSs sending data back and forth on Altirra. I have a heavily modified version of FXEP running on my 800xl mostly 24/7 , I am now doing all of my work on FXEP for my own purposes to work on Altiirra hence I am doing 90 % of the work there. Is there anyone else who has played around with Fnet  lately? 

By the way my BBS says something about logging onto The Basement BBS and teaching John Polka all about the world of wrestling, also I use 8 different logon screens.

There isa  new telnet address to call: spybbs.hopto.org:1985-1999, (for now the first one , 1995 is up all of the time , and I will slowly add more under Altirra , its simple to use multiple instances  of Altirra but hard to set up so that it runs perfectly. Still the work that I have done on  the 800xl helps.

Edited by rcamp48
typo

6 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I should have a detailed video ready soon that goes through the setup of node numbers on Forem XEP 5.4 if anyone is interested. I have modified the F-Net programs to use modern Telnet, still have to make a video of multiple FXEP BBSs sending data back and forth on Altirra. I have a heavily modified version of FXEP running on my 800xl mostly 24/7 , I am now doing all of my work on FXEP for my own purposes to work on Altiirra hence I am doing 90 % of the work there. Is there anyone else who has played around with Fnet  lately? 

By the way my BBS says something about logging onto The Basement BBS and teaching John Polka all about the world of wrestling, also I use 8 different logon screens.

There isa  new telnet address to call: spybbs.hopto.org:1985-1999, (for now the first one , 1995 is up all of the time , and I will slowly add more under Altirra , its simple to use multiple instances  of Altirra but hard to set up so that it runs perfectly. Still the work that I have done on  the 800xl helps.

Nope. None of the nodes answered. So much for "up all the time" ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I know not very much but I would think the only way to do that with altirra would be to use the H: device. But that is just a wild guess.

I think if you point all the nodes to the same disk image (atr) it would quickly get corrupted.

I am using different disk images, and running each one as portable in other words the ini file is in with altirra in a separate folder, I could have the fnet program update the password files on each node, it is possible to put that into fnet, it would take some time to rewrite fnet to do this but since it is written in Basic XE theoretically its possible.

One question: I am willing to share the fnet code, and the forem xe program that I have heavily modified, as a package or an update atr, its all in my onedrive  folder all set up for download, the question is are you willing to trust me again after the FXEP 6.0 fiasco ? At least I have go the FXEP program to work with all of the cosmetic changes.

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Perfectly consistent for everything offered though (not-working).  He scores a 100% on that.

I have got the FXEP program working so that breaks the not working consistency. I am not trying to take credit for what Amis has done, just trying to make it work on my end , I acknowledge and respect Amis' work.  And it is a work in progress with the Fnet program.

Edited by rcamp48

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Perfectly consistent for everything offered though (not-working).  He scores a 100% on that.

They are down right now , I have to put them up. I am working on the Fnet program to make it work with all of the nodes so there is no sense in putting them up except maybe for 2 of them. I will put two of them up right now, nodes 9002 and 9003.

That way you can see that they work.

Edited by rcamp48

10 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I have got the FXEP program working so that breaks the not working consistency.  And it is a work in progress with the Fnet program.

I thought that was Amis who got that working.  I've heard it before that you're trying to take credit for what he's done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tillek said:

I thought that was Amis who got that working.  I've heard it before that you're trying to take credit for what he's done.

I am not trying to take credit for what Amis did , I am working mainly on a separate project now.

I am using different disk images, and running each one as portable in other words the ini file is in with altirra in a separate folder, I could have the fnet program update the password files on each node, it is possible to put that into fnet, it would take some time to rewrite fnet to do this but since it is written in Basic XE theoretically its possible.

One question: I am willing to share the fnet code, and the forem xe program that I have heavily modified, as a package or an update atr, its all in my onedrive  folder all set up for download, the question is are you willing to trust me again after the FXEP 6.0 fiasco ? At least I have go the FXEP program to work with all of the cosmetic changes.

Then each node really isn’t a node it is it’s own separate bbs. From what I understand, nodes are all the same bbs just different phone numbers/ telnet ports.

I would think it would only be able to be done with the h: device. Pointing all then”nodes” to the same atrs will definitely ultimately corrupt the images.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Then each node really isn’t a node it is it’s own separate bbs. From what I understand, nodes are all the same bbs just different phone numbers/ telnet ports.

I would think it would only be able to be done with the h: device. Pointing all then”nodes” to the same atrs will definitely ultimately corrupt the images.

I could work on that, the H;: device would be possible....  and each node was supposed to be a separate BBS anyways , thats the way the program FNET is written. There are basically 5 files that control the Fnet process. But first lets get the FNET program to work properly under Telnet, its written for modems.

You have two options,

a)     add file in use/disk in use locking in your ATARI side DOS like the css mux software, or corvus networks and most most arbitration based file systems do to prevent time outs and problems.

b)     or have all BBS instances make a network base call to each other at the end of each online users log off...

I've been to this rodeo... but if someone did this another way...

I haven't relied on windows to manage this sort of thing because the Atari side is unaware, as such it will time out and clash when there are simultaneous users

Edited by _The Doctor__