IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

12 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You have two options,

a)     add file in use/disk in use locking in your ATARI side DOS like the css mux software, or corvus networks and most most arbitration based file systems do to prevent time outs and problems.

b)     or have all BBS instances make a network base call to each other at the end of each online users log off...

I've been to this rodeo... but if someone did this another way...

I haven't relied on windows to manage this sort of thing because the Atari side is unaware, as such it will time out and clash when there are simultaneous users

What about Linux Doc, is there a way to do this under linux? I would have to switch from Windows to Linux and not run my PC Wildcat BBS, as such I am willing to do the development work in Linux I believe Altirra is available under Linux but I may need your help if you are willing to do this.

I was wondering if the problems that I am having logging into the Altirra BBS's are because I am running from Onedrive? I will switch maybe 4 nodes over to a regular folder and try that. None of them are connecting. Does anyone know enough about Windows to check this out?

For now just try node 9001 at spybbs.hopto.org:1985, I am going to switch all of the Onedrive folders over to regular folders and see if thats the problem, my 800xl has been reliable now for almost a month, granted I have not had it up that long

Edited by rcamp48
additions

You will have timeout issues on the Atari side no matter the win/lin/tel/amd etc, you have to make the Atari side aware, it must wait until the file unlocks / becomes available... that means making a greater time out value like was done for sio2bt etc.. or as I had already mentioned

1 hour ago, Dopeyman06 said:

Nope.

I love this thread. So much comedy ?

They are all down, too many problems I will solve the new problems then let u know when they are up.......

They work but message bases are not working I have to rest then work on it again later, I suspect its some of the new stuff I put in...thanks for testing what I had guys.... I will leave it for a day or so it is getting boring for me to do.

Edited by rcamp48

36 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I will leave it for a day or so it is getting boring for me to do.

I'll set a calendar reminder for a week so I can come back and see nothing has been done or resolved, or even better, to check on the next project :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

They are all down, too many problems I will solve the new problems then let u know when they are up.......

They work but message bases are not working I have to rest then work on it again later, I suspect its some of the new stuff I put in...thanks for testing what I had guys.... I will leave it for a day or so it is getting boring for me to do.

I think FXEP 6.o was much more stable than your FXEP 5.4

5 hours ago, Dopeyman06 said:

I think FXEP 6.o was much more stable than your FXEP 5.4

It was not FXEP at all lol I was running on wifi instead of ethernet, and all of the ports were forwarded to Ethernet, it took me 6 hours to discover this, and my internet was down for a couple of hours.

22 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

Thanks Thom. I was hoping to get an actual original physical disk from comnet systems.

Yup I have your copy. Thanks for the work you did on that.

That might be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but if you ever find one you will have a real gem and a collectors item.

Seems a challenge has been made from Russ's 14 nodes FoReM XEP 6.0 against the Basement BBS. We have an old Sk00l BBS war..

file.mp4

Direct URL if no audio - tinyurl.com/BBSwar 

The creator of this video has some outstanding creative skill! Thanks for the Laughs.

• Haha 5

On 3/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, rcamp48 said:

That might be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but if you ever find one you will have a real gem and a collectors item.

Oh yeah???  Make me an offer I cannot refuse...

image.thumb.png.de331c11cca81b8c60172e181520b313.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Amis said:

Seems a challenge has been made from Russ's 14 nodes FoReM XEP 6.0 against the Basement BBS. We have an old Sk00l BBS war..

file.mp4

The creator of this video has some outstanding creative skill! Thanks for the Laughs.

ROFLOL   -  love it!   :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Amis said:

file.mp4

well we have a BBS war on our hands ... hahahaahaha, you referring to my logoff screen that says Teach John Polka how to wrestle, its an inside joke between John and I when I was running Forem ST and has a wrestling door game, the two of us had a really good time with that one....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

well we have a BBS war on our hands ... hahahaahaha, you referring to my logoff screen that says Teach John Polka how to wrestle, its an inside joke between John and I when I was running Forem ST and has a wrestling door game, the two of us had a really good time with that one....

Jack Black Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

Not to jump the thread (or whatever it had devolved into) but I'd like to add:  I picked up an SX212 recently and after cleaning it up plugged one end into the 800XL and the other end into my AT&T POTS service.  I did some research at https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/ searching for dial-up sites (returned 29 results).  Loaded SX Express, selected 1200 baud and ASCII, and manually dialed (949) 325-9040 for AMIS XE BBS which claims to be running Atari hardware.

This being a sunny Wednesday, AT&T happened to be in service, I got a dial tone and I was able to log in to the Southern Amis Projects Atari Message and Information System.  Man, I haven't done that in a while.  The squawk of the modem, the anticipation as characters crawl across the screen, the downloads that fail when somebody picks up the extension phone...  What a hoot.

Kids, don't try this at home!

-CH-

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, clh333 said:

Not to jump the thread (or whatever it had devolved into) but I'd like to add:  I picked up an SX212 recently and after cleaning it up plugged one end into the 800XL and the other end into my AT&T POTS service.  I did some research at https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/ searching for dial-up sites (returned 29 results).  Loaded SX Express, selected 1200 baud and ASCII, and manually dialed (949) 325-9040 for AMIS XE BBS which claims to be running Atari hardware.

This being a sunny Wednesday, AT&T happened to be in service, I got a dial tone and I was able to log in to the Southern Amis Projects Atari Message and Information System.  Man, I haven't done that in a while.  The squawk of the modem, the anticipation as characters crawl across the screen, the downloads that fail when somebody picks up the extension phone...  What a hoot.

-CH-

Congratulations on dialing into a BBS with an old sk00l modem! You may also like The Basement BBS, another Atari BBS, with dial-up access.  503-245-5416.

I see you're from NE Ohio. The Basement BBS was originally up from 1986 - 1998 in the Cleveland, Ohio 216 area code.

Enjoy,

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, clh333 said:

-CH-

Thanks for Stopping by! Next time switch to Atascii when you get out of the modem pool. That will really take you back! 

7CE897C4-8191-4C96-9E26-5B07B7F18C1B.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnPolka said:

Congratulations on dialing into a BBS with an old sk00l modem! You may also like The Basement BBS, another Atari BBS, with dial-up access.  503-245-5416.

I see you're from NE Ohio. The Basement BBS was originally up from 1986 - 1998 in the Cleveland, Ohio 216 area code.

Enjoy,

-JP

Figures you'd forget to mention the 3 BBSs that actually run out of NE Ohio!  :P  5 if you count the BBCS and Michtron demos!

NE Ohio.... the Atari BBS capital of the world!

• Like 1