IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, Tillek said:

He's obviously talking about our alien overlords.

And you better be careful... They don't like it when you talk about them.  Especially the Lizard People... they're REAL jerks.

The Greys... they're kinda "meh" about it.

These "Lizard People"?  :)

918422870_LizardPeople.JPG.de5b3f640d4f502d40bcb208d9d9aa39.JPG

12 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Wow haven't hit up a BBS since the 80's.  How can I accomplish this using emulation (if it's possible at all)?

Everything is possible... are you using Altirra?  Get an ATR with Bobterm on it... mount it, boot it, run bobterm

and at the terminal screen, type

ATDI bfbbs.no-ip.com 8888 <ctrl-M>

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

I have to keep playing with it - for some reason when I try to get to the terminal screen, Altirra reverts to the Memo Pad.

Bobterm is a XEX file so you need to copy it to a disk that has DOS on it and boot the disk... then run the .XEX file.

You also need to setup a modem in altirra on the 850, MIO or some other serial device that Altirra supports.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

Bobterm is a XEX file so you need to copy it to a disk that has DOS on it and boot the disk... then run the .XEX file.

You also need to setup a modem in altirra on the 850, MIO or some other serial device that Altirra supports.

Ok - I figured it was something I was doing wrong.  I'll keep trying - best to learn by doing!

19 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Ok I configured an 850 modem, no extended baud rate.  I got to the term screen, but when I type, no characters or commands show...I can hear the keyboard click, but nothing else.  I can toggle between the menu and the term screen, but that's about it.

Just now, Tillek said:

This seems to work for me... Using the above ATR, I already had these settings set up, so i just ran the Bobterm COM file and it seemed to work.

image.thumb.png.e4ebd25e368b2dbb6fbc8f001a092b76.png

These are from the "settings" popup for the modem.

Thanks!  I didn't set the modem up - I connected it, but didn't know I had to set anything specific.  Will do this and see if it solves the issue.

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Try double checking the modem settings I posted and see if that works.

Also remember, if you're in "ATARI" mode, you have to do a control m as a "return" for modem commands.

--- Ack... crossed in the mail it seems.

Success!! Thanks everyone!  Having fun checking it out, brings back memories!

No problem... feel free to join in on the conversation too!

(And if you have fond memories of Space Empire Elite, we're doing a tournament for that game in September on STar Fleet HQ).

(After you've spent some quality time on Boot Factory, of course).

• Like 1

I have finally got my BBS to a point where it runs consistently, and I am adding to the Atari community by putting up not a list of Atari BBS's , but randomly reviewing each Atari BBS one at a time when you log off , so far I have added the first 6 Atari BBS's on the list, also when you log on there is a surprise, but you will see it in the video, the video is 15 minutes long and I take to time to log in an out about 10 times just to show you all that it as stable , I am using Amis latest copy, kudos goes out to Amis for what he has done with Forem XEP in the past, I am still sticking with FXEP as I ran Spy Visits Spy BBS in the 80s on Forem XE from 1983 to 1995, it was a popular BBS at the time, unfortunately all disks from my BBS from then have been lost in this sea of time.

Hope that you like the video and I must say that I will be featuring all 20 Atari run BBS's in the logoff screens. 

My BBS is being run on Alterra on FXEP.

The BBSs that I feature so far are:

Alcatraz BBS

Baudville BBS

Biker Bob's Clubhouse

Boot Factory 2K

Cheese Daddy's BBS

and Dark Force BBS.

I will be adding the rest today, and if there is something special that you want me to put in about your BBS

then please let me know.

Now off to the video: How I am adding to the Atari Community

Russ

Edited by rcamp48
typos
  • Like 1

Would be using:

Atari800MacX v6.0.1

Carina II v2.7 (BBS: On A Stick version)

Hello y'all... For quite some time I've been 50/50 about putting up a BBS. My software of choice is Carina II. At the moment I've had one running for a while but just for testing. I haven't gone public yet since I'm still undecided.

One of my main concerns is its' networking capabilities. When I try to run "ICN_EDIT", I get an error 5 at line 3010 (I removed the REM at line 25005). So my question is, does networking actually work or am I beating a dead horse?? I'd like to get the networking working if at all possible. At the moment there are 2 other Carina II boards up and running. So it'd be pretty neat-o to get it functioning. 😁

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 3.32.52 PM.png