IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

I got into BBSes back in the early 90's on my 386 DOS PC. I even ran a BBS for a short time on a 486, was on Fidonet too. This all sounds like fun, what would you all recommend for hardware if I wanted to get back into this?

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe. Is it possible to run a BBS with ST-Xformer? :-)

Well, there's no maybe about the ST being able to run a BBS well. Got that living proof thing going on here. :)

As for ST-Xformer running an 8bit BBS via emulation, I'm not sure. Cool concept though. Did the ST version

support the serial ports and all that? Might actually be something fun to play with, but I'd still endorse running

an 8bit BBS on real 8bit hardware. That's just me. :)

As for ST-Xformer running an 8bit BBS via emulation, I'm not sure. Cool concept though. Did the ST version

support the serial ports and all that?

Was just kidding. I only know the initial release of ST-Xformer and it even can't keep up with BASIC games with some ML-routines. On stock 520ST that is. It does support an 8-bit disk drive when connected to the ST parallel port but I don't think the serial port can be used.

I don't believe in software emulators anyways. They may be useful for some things but why use them if you have the real thing?

Was just kidding. I only know the initial release of ST-Xformer and it even can't keep up with BASIC games with some ML-routines. On stock 520ST that is. It does support an 8-bit disk drive when connected to the ST parallel port but I don't think the serial port can be used.

I don't believe in software emulators anyways. They may be useful for some things but why use them if you have the real thing?

I kinda suspected that. I don't remember it running all that good on an original ST either. More of a curiosity than anything else.

About the software emulation - I'm right there with ya brother. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to stick my nose in quick.. I just brought my BBS live after a 20 year break :)

While running on a PC, the files areas are going to me mainly for Atari stuff (and Trekkie things)

telnet://holodeckbbs.noip.me

It's still a work in progress, so be kind :)

I tried to login but it said 'port scanner' detected and kicked me off... ???

I tried to login but it said 'port scanner' detected and kicked me off... ???

Thanks for the info.. the new fossil driver seem a bit trigger happy on blocking. I can log in with in my own network fine.

mite end up going back to the previous version since I know it worked on a live test a couple days ago

sorry for the mix up..

Thanks for the info.. the new fossil driver seem a bit trigger happy on blocking. I can log in with in my own network fine.

mite end up going back to the previous version since I know it worked on a live test a couple days ago

sorry for the mix up..

The problem has been fixed. Mite be a couple bugs left, but that'll come in time.

Was running through the BBS's today and was unable to connect with:

Inside the 8bit

El Cafe

YYZ BBS

I know their SysOps lurk around here - get'em back online guys, I

miss calling in. :)

I am up and running. I have both slaves up at the moment and as soon as my KRH (keyboard Replacement Hardware) get here I will be putting up more slaves. If you think the bbs has crashed just send an e-mail to realdos AT bellsouth.net

Steve

http://www.realdos.net

Thunderdome seems to have some connection problems.

The DNS service is acting up so thunderdome.anydns.com isn't actually pointing to the BBS most of the time. The problem is not at my end and the only thing I can so is complain to the service provider.

I modified my online IP checker http://thunderdome.fox-1.nl to make it anydns-independent and I hope this temporary solution will do for now.

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

• 2 weeks later...

Thunderdome seems to have some connection problems.

The DNS service is acting up so thunderdome.anydns.com isn't actually pointing to the BBS most of the time. The problem is not at my end and the only thing I can so is complain to the service provider.

I modified my online IP checker http://thunderdome.fox-1.nl to make it anydns-independent and I hope this temporary solution will do for now.

How are you doing Fox1? I tried connecting to your board using my 130XE to no avail. Were you able to resolve the IP/DNS issue?

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

It looks like the dynamic DNS issue can't be solved. I mailed the provider and after a long while I got a reply that they can't solve it because it's a 3rd party issue. Tried to contact them too but never got a single reply.

As for now the only way to connect to the BBS is by using the IP address, which can be found at http://thunderdome.fox-1.nl

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx