IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Pro's 5.0 version.cmd can deal with that. No idea what the advantage is of the added validity check in the older versions. It's just a 1 byte field.

0190     JMP STARTCODE ; Skip header

0200 ;

0210     .BYTE $02   ; Version (0.2)

0220     .BYTE 3     ; March

0230     .BYTE 9     ; 9th

0240     .BYTE 4     ; 2004

I figured a later version of Pro! would have addressed it. And yeah, I don't understand why there was a validity check to begin with. :)

-JP

*BETA ALERT*

Well, "The Last Hope BBS" Pro 5.0b Node #244 seems online again, after a ~16 year hiatus. This BBS lived in Maple Ridge, and then later Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. Now it's two provinces east in Saskatchewan. Since I got the BBS running in Altirra with the emulated Telnet modem last week, I figured I'd set it up on my always-on pizza-box server. It takes 90% of the 700Mhz Celeron CPU, so it's not terribly fast, but its a machine I already have on.

The hard drive images are almost completely unchanged at the moment from when the BBS was shut down a couple years after 2000. Who knows how reliable this is. You will get limited access when signing up until your account is manually validated, I should probably change this to be full access right off the bat later.

I like it's colourfulness in ANSI mode, where I did some custom logon/menu screens (see previous posts) and of course basic ATASCII too. Pretty sure I had some ATASCII animations in there somewhere, maybe in the online games, which I don' think can be accessed initially by new users... And I'm looking forward to maybe some competitive GOTCHA! I remember i had the Joystick in BobTerm setup to send the ctrl-arrow keys, so I could move my character by tapping the joystick different directions.

Anyhow, give it a try and let me know if it blows up! It seems to take a good 30 seconds of tapping ENTER after connecting to respond, so be patient... If seems to hang without connecting, someone else may be on, or its hung....

Telnet to bbs.trideja.com or bbs.atari8.ca on port 1050

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 3

Telnet to bbs.trideja.com or bbs.atari8.ca on port 1050

I checked out your BBS. Looks good. Of course I look forward to being validated so I can check out more of the BBS. I left you feedback about the telnet address, but I figured I'd also post this here. Only the first telnet address (bbs.trideja.com) worked for me.

Woops, i meant bbs.8bit.ca, I don't own atari8.ca - (yet :) - looks like its still available) They both CNAME to the same IP anyway.

PS: I setup 8bit.ca on afraid.org, so anyone is welcome to add their own subdomains under it.

trideja.com is the main domain I've owned since 96, where the BBS had a web page dedicated to it for a while. https://web.archive.org/web/19990127164853/www.trideja.com/lasthopeIt didn't seem to grab the IMR network node list I maintained at the time, I'd love to get that list again, and my BBS only kept the last 100 messages in the sysop message group, and it looks like the last one rolled off.. Looks like Internet Archive never grabbed it. Maybe one of the other sysops that were participating still have a copy. It was interesting because I tried to document which BBS's were connecting to which.

• Like 1

I was carrying the IMR bases too with a 250 msg's/base set-up but my BBS was online a bit longer so I don't know how much of them did rotate into oblivion. The thing is that I packed my stuff because I'l have to move in some time but don't know exactly when yet so no idea when I can access the data.

• Like 1

@JohnPolka you're now validated. (With r/w access to the message bases until I make them read only)

Hmm for some reason viewing the 'last 50 callers' list will hard crash altirra... maybe my LASTCALL.LOG file is corrupt, but deleting it or replacing it with an empty just makes it say it can't find it. I forget how to regenerate a fresh one, or maybe a fresh one is on my original install disks.

• Like 1

@JohnPolka you're now validated. (With r/w access to the message bases until I make them read only)

Hmm for some reason viewing the 'last 50 callers' list will hard crash altirra... maybe my LASTCALL.LOG file is corrupt, but deleting it or replacing it with an empty just makes it say it can't find it. I forget how to regenerate a fresh one, or maybe a fresh one is on my original install disks.

Thanks for the access. I saw that you validated me earlier today, but I couldn't stay on long. I probably can get on again tonight.

As for the "last 50 callers"... I'm guessing there is an event that needs to run after every call that generates the last 50 callers list. That's how it works on version 2.1a of Pro!.

-JP

Special thanks to _TheDoctor__ for fixing the UDS10 to work for binary transfers!

Up and Download should now work on my board.

New Pro*SysOp area added. Please Feedback me for access request, and tell me a little about you and your system.

:)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is pretty old. But ill throw in my 2 bits (sorta). Im planning to move my board off my current system and running on an 8bit Atari computer. Well see how that goes. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who checked out the file section at The Basement BBS and wondered why there were no file descriptions...they were inadvertently turned off by a buggy BBS module. That module has been fixed and the file descriptions are back. So, check them out....

-JP

• Like 3