IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

I must report that my board is currently down. There's nothing wrong on the Atari, it's the router.

Hope to have it fixed soon.

Good luck with that... and really happy to hear nothing happened to the Atari!

Call ya when it's back up!

yes I was able to upload and download using a pearle ds1, syncterm, and lantronix mss100 all in RAW mode... no problem at all... very surprised no nulls (hearts) or other issues... didn't even have one retry.... I did cheat though, as the downloads saved to a MIO parallel-ram disk...

not sure if UDS10 callers need to set disconnect mode to 81 or 80 in order to call but a quick refresher of the users guide/ref manual will show a number of ways to go RAW...

I really am becoming a fan of raw mode... sidesteps a bunch of telnet special character issues. much better....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

his router is a terrible comcast gateway, it has scrambled memory issues.... it had port forwarding and port triggering issues (ghost entries assigned to various ip adresses, empty ip addresses) as those entries could not be edited or deleted either.... it would make pretend it accepted a change and the old entries would either re assert or migrate. If you try to make too many changes or entries it will do weird things. The device needs to be replaced, It does not do port mapping/translation.... you can not assign an external port to a different internal port and conversely you can't assign an internal port to a different external port... this is not ideal when many devices default to or insist that certain ports only utilize a predefined protocol assigned to that specific port. If you choose port 23 many devices insist on telnet protocol even though it could be anything but. The wireless/router/gateway is also used as part of comcasts' public mesh and it's starved for bandwidth when too many folks are using it.

It had to be progressively reset across it's various modules, and then finally a factory reset. A slow process of adding entries back in. To prevent the issue coming back when it scrambles itself up again, the lantronix is now in the demilitarized zone. Since the UDS can handle being fully exposed and you can control what ports are open or closed on the device, it's not a problem. When all the stupid empty entries start corrupting and filling up the router/firewall tables again... the lantronix more than likely won't be affected.

Getting comcasts' device to properly reset was not fun, it took turns locking lan side access out to the administration pages and external administration would lock as well..

Diagnosis... DAIN BRAMAGE.... :)

fighting and wrestling with it to make it work took a number of hours, but it should hold until they can replace it's toasted corpse or it meets an 8 pound or 10 pound sledge hammer :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Sadly, the Indian Idiot is not likely to replace it any time soon. I predict that an electric space heater will be VERY close to it the next time he goes out of town for a couple of days. That evil router will DIE!

He'll have no choice but to replace it when its completely dead and HE has no internet. :)

Sadly, the Indian Idiot is not likely to replace it any time soon. I predict that an electric space heater will be VERY close to it the next time he goes out of town for a couple of days. That evil router will DIE!

He'll have no choice but to replace it when its completely dead and HE has no internet. :)

So, your BBS will be at port 10001 for the foreseeable future?

Edited by JohnPolka

Forgive me if you tried this, since I missed a staff meeting or two it seems. ;)

Would it work to get another small inexpensive router for yourself (I actually had a good Belkin wireless router from maybe 10-ish years ago that would even do the dynamic dns updating for me so I didn't have to rely on a PC client) and then maybe just have the gateway set up with a DMZ to your router?

Maybe we could take up a collection to get you squared away (or if I can find that router laying around here somewhere......)

Well, not really. Most of the routers or gateways I've worked with have a DMZ function where any unsolicited traffic that isn't handled by the firewall just gets forwarded to a specific IP if activated. Generally, you'd never want to do this... unless that specific IP goes to another router or firewall device that is itself protected. From there, he just configures whatever he wants, however he wants and doesn't have to worry about the idiots downstairs as long as they don't kill the DMZ. I doubt it would add any significant latency (and if it did, who cares, we're simulating old school 9600 baud modems). ;)

The downside is needing the 2nd router.

(And yeah, I'm sure you know this Doc, but others might be trying to follow the bouncing ball.... especially since I wasn't really clear the first time I said it, being on my phone and all.....)

What we need is a Comcast Business compatible cable modem with a good router. This POS all in one 'gateway' sucks. The Indian Idiot is in his glory watching me suffer with slow internet. I haven't been able to watch live tv for a week. He doesn't care. It doesn't affect him. There are only a certain cable modems that Comcast will allow on their business accounts. Motorola Surfboard is a good one.

It is VERY interesting that Comcast totally lies about this. I took MY OWN (residential) cable modem (that I OWNED) from my house and connected it up to Comcast in another city (at a business). It worked perfectly, of course. Comcast said it was incompatible. It was obviously NOT incompatible. Comcast is an evil corporation. Every minute I am awake, I am thinking of ways to defeat the evil Comcast.

One way, or the other, I SHALL WIN.

I'll keep everyone posted if the Board's IP address changes.

:)

• Like 1

To be clear, 20-25Mb isn't really enough to serve more than one high def or 4k video stream if you're lucky when you have voip/facetime/xbox games/ cell phone in wifi mode/assortment of computers, laptops, androids et al running at the same time.

Edited by _The Doctor__

um raw mode on the UDS 10 is disconnect modes 80 and 81 if I remember correctly.... c1 is more than likely telnet terminal id mode... yeah I'm correct

The best way to communicate with all devices and upload/download is raw mode. the data is untouched. hard disconnect, drop on dtr... all the different download protocols work better in raw mode.....

connect mode should be with DTR and command Echo..... connect mode 56.

I use putty, syncterm, and perle device connecting to uds 10 configured this way... most other device prefer this as well. You can prove it to yourself... try sending the xm.com file to and from machines in telnet mode and then in raw mode.... guess which method chokes and dies dealing with certain character combinations?

• 2 weeks later...