IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

34 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Well those are two I won't call this weekend.   Hopefully you get the BBSs up again in the near future.

I tried to call MouseNet for the first time in ages.   It gave me a password that was ... not usable.   Left message for Ralf-Markus, hopefully he is able to sort it out and get back to me.

Good news! You can put the Basement back into your dial list. :) It's back up on temporary hardware. The direct modem line is working too.

Part-Time BBS should go back online later tonight.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Well those are two I won't call this weekend.   Hopefully you get the BBSs up again in the near future.

I tried to call MouseNet for the first time in ages.   It gave me a password that was ... not usable.   Left message for Ralf-Markus, hopefully he is able to sort it out and get back to me.

don't think you have ever been on southernamis.ddns.net:23 

33 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

Good news! You can put the Basement back into your dial list. :) It's back up on temporary hardware. The direct modem line is working too.

Part-Time BBS should go back online later tonight.

-JP

I know, I was just on there!

Still looking for Easter Eggs...

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2016 at 6:48 AM, Marius said:

Is BBS Pro! still available for purchase? I know there were some topics in the past about the copyrights and the owner of the source etc.

I know Stephen J. Carden develops TCP/IP Express. It's one of the best BBS packages you can get, but it is not free.

If you want the best experience, go for that, and buy it...

Hi Marius

I have a bit more work to do on it but once I bring all 8 nodes on the internet RealDOS & TCPIPExpress will be shareware..the shareware cost will not cost anyone nothing more than an e-mail. I have a bunch of Atari Slave equipment too build so for the most part the TCPIPExpress will cost you nothing more than an e-mail.

Stephen J. Carden

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Looks like we have SFHQ back up.

Not sure how.....  Not sure how long it will last.... but such is the nature of the beast with this old stuff.

Welcome back! Im sure the R&R on the ST plus your never surrender grit got it done! 

starship is down... the private BBS ate itself... hard drive didn't like the last storm or the current BBS software/DOS decided it was party time and trashed the partition... I've been otherwise out of it and don't know how long it's been down, probably a week... might not be back...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Sad 2

A public message to tell us a private BBS we didn't even know about is down?  ;)

But seriously... I feel your pain... I really really really feel it... so I hope you get it going again after a "cooling off" period.

(Really, really get it....)

On 6/7/2021 at 11:27 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Yeah I couldn't contact the users, as all their information is trashed... so what else to do? A public announcement... It is what it is... never had such an occurrence before... it is one of hard drives from the 90's though...

There is definitely something going around....a few of us SysOps had hard drive and/or hardware problems in the last month. Very strange...I guess when it rains, it pours.

Sorry to hear this. I was on your private BBS for a little bit...I actually thought you took it down at one point; or I would have continued to call. :)

-JP

On 6/10/2021 at 4:14 AM, JohnPolka said:

There is definitely something going around....a few of us SysOps had hard drive and/or hardware problems in the last month. Very strange...I guess when it rains, it pours.

Sorry to hear this. I was on your private BBS for a little bit...I actually thought you took it down at one point; or I would have continued to call. :)

-JP

I tell you what JP, Basement BBS is getting busy, same with Southern Amis! 

It's great to see the A8 community getting online again with the advent of devices such as FujiNet.

• Like 2

I really don't think it has anything to do with FujiNet or any other device.  Sure, it's a nice easy way to connect (if you can get around the issues - but all methods can have issues to overcome).

But we've had easy ways to connect for a very long time.  SIO2xxxx (insert your favorite variant) with APE (and others).  Altirra for the emulator crowd could do this for awhile now.

I think it's something that's been building for awhile.  It's the whole retro revolution.  It's not just Atari, it's all the BBS's it seems.  Regardless of platform.  SFHQ's new users (the ones that email me to say hi) are more from other platforms lately.  Sure there are some Atari, but a lot of the A8 crowd don't call ST BBS's.  It's why all the systems across the board are going way up in price.

Moreover, it's the ACTIVE users.  More people actually posting (and if you follow the names, there aren't that many... it doesn't TAKE that many).

If I had to give a reason... people are fed up with the world of today's internet (or just fed up with the world).  BBSs have a kind of personality that a forum just doesn't.  Even calling something a forum "community" is just BS.  There is no "community".

But when you log on to a BBS... You're in Mark's little corner of the world.... or Robs... or Ron's... or James' or Andy's....   Even though people are on the other side of the world, we still have that neighborhood closeness from back in the day.

This ball started rolling awhile ago.  It just needed to grow.  It wasn't any device or platform...  I'd almost say it was just inevitable.  This doesn't mean that devices like FujiNet or the WiModem232 didn't help, but what's happening here goes beyond that.

/s

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

I really don't think it has anything to do with FujiNet or any other device.  Sure, it's a nice easy way to connect (if you can get around the issues - but all methods can have issues to overcome).

But we've had easy ways to connect for a very long time.  SIO2xxxx (insert your favorite variant) with APE (and others).  Altirra for the emulator crowd could do this for awhile now.

I think it's something that's been building for awhile.  It's the whole retro revolution.  It's not just Atari, it's all the BBS's it seems.  Regardless of platform.  SFHQ's new users (the ones that email me to say hi) are more from other platforms lately.  Sure there are some Atari, but a lot of the A8 crowd don't call ST BBS's.  It's why all the systems across the board are going way up in price.

Moreover, it's the ACTIVE users.  More people actually posting (and if you follow the names, there aren't that many... it doesn't TAKE that many).

If I had to give a reason... people are fed up with the world of today's internet (or just fed up with the world).  BBSs have a kind of personality that a forum just doesn't.  Even calling something a forum "community" is just BS.  There is no "community".

But when you log on to a BBS... You're in Mark's little corner of the world.... or Robs... or Ron's... or James' or Andy's....   Even though people are on the other side of the world, we still have that neighborhood closeness from back in the day.

This ball started rolling awhile ago.  It just needed to grow.  It wasn't any device or platform...  I'd almost say it was just inevitable.  This doesn't mean that devices like FujiNet or the WiModem232 didn't help, but what's happening here goes beyond that.

/s

Applause - Applause - Applause 

/s

Well... I'm also almost embarrassed to have not mentioned it.

But a lot (if not most) of the credit has to go to the new blood (not just the recent new users, but the new-ish SysOps like JP and AMIS and others) who breathed a lot of new life into it and helped get us old jaded guys off our asses!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tillek said:

/s

I've been a member of Particles BBS for years as well as Centronian, they were always busy, now Particles is so busy you actually struggle to get a connection and when you do there's 30 messages to filter through after just 24 hours.

I always assumed it was due to readily available and cheap user port modems for the C64 and ongoing development regarding terminal software (I think my user port modem cost me $40.00, possibly a little less). But, perhaps sysops just assumed the whole scene had dried up and didn't make anything available for Atari users to 'dial into'? Who knows.

It is great to see A8 BBS usage on the rise however, the BBS scene is so much better than anything on the web today.

• Like 1

Well, to be honest... there are two reasons.

First, the Commodore scene on anything is bigger than the Atari scene.  But I was also into calling a few Apple II BBS's and it was kind of the same progression as the Atari ones.

And... ok... so this won't be popular.....

The Atari crowd, as you might have noticed... is more about talking about BBSing on internet forums than actually calling and contributing.  In fact, if you're following the names, you'll see certain names that tend to be big posters on the internet forums... but you're probably wondering what BBS's they call.  I'm even calling myself out here... As a Sysop, I go through long periods of inactivity.  But there are some SysOps in this Atari (I don't use the term community) group that don't even call their own boards very often, and even rarer still, others.

It happens. People get busy...

Even with the FujiNet.... how many are calling, but not contributing?  As far as I'm concerned, those users aren't helping... They're actually hurting.  I have a few regulars on SFHQ who call very often, but have never posted a single message.  Why?  You're just tying up the BBS for someone who might contribute.  Easy ways to connect have been around for awhile for those who really care... but too many don't care.

When you have a user base the size of the Commodore users, even if only a fraction of a percent contribute, that's huge.  But look at the Atari scene.  Something we SysOps were talking about recently.... Count the numbers of active posting contributors.  It's the same handful of people talking about different topics over all the BBS's.  Probably half being the SysOps.  It's funny how it doesn't take that much!

So I changed this not to call out a laundry list of individuals... but let's do it like this.

So let's take for example xxxxxx.  Xxxxx is a very active poster in any thread and even is a big help in (select from archiving software, technical help connecting, etc) but when was the last time xxxxx posted something or even called some of the BBS's except to maybe look at a (insert specific non-message-posting-related thing) they were interested in.

The Atari community is so small compared to the Commodore community that the same fraction of a percent... doesn't lead to as much.

Sure, there are a lot of excuses.  I've used them myself.  I want to connect with real hardware but don't have the time to set it up.  I just want to make sure I have the time to go through the old messages.  I want to this... I need to that... I blah.

iBlah.............. now there is something....

Just look at the membership list of the BBS club here on AtariAge.  57 members.  Could you imagine if each one posted a message every day?  Just one.  What about just one a week?

How many contributing users are actually keeping the community as alive as it is?  Far fewer than 57.  And these are 57 people who supposedly specifically care about the Atari BBS scene.

But hey, it is what it is.  I'm in no position to judge.  I'm just saying that the time to act is now.  You're on a forum?  You can use SyncTerm.  You'll help support the BBSs that are here, now.  Call on real hardware later.... assuming we're even here when you finally get that figured out.

And don't even think of running one, if you can't be bothered to call one!

But... that's just my view.

• Like 2