IGNORED

PS3 encryption keys now on the net

HammR25

It's a brick party!

Holy crap, kids are bricking their PS3's with barely tested jailbreaks left and right.

If you have an early fat model, CECHA thru CECHE, do NOT attempt to jailbreak using wainokokos updated PUP. It's NAND size is wrong, and will brick your PS3.

I'm waiting this mess out.

Edited by Underball

system-specific keys and blu ray keys are still intact--at least that's what I heard mentioned.

I've heard that since the conference, the keys for Blu-Ray and the PSP have also been discovered within the PS3. (PSP's keys due to the PS3 being able to play PSP Minis.) So not only is the PS3 completely compromised, the PSP and Blu-Ray itself are also completely compromised.

If that's the case then that would mean the PSP would not need CFW to play homebrew. but there is added features in CFW that you dont have with OFW unless they can add those abilities to OFW.

Someone mentioned the Dreamcast being blown wide open.. People were able to make self-bootable discs that didn't require any sort of mod, and that's what essentially is happening now for the PS3. I remember when that happened, too--People were passing out Dreamcast discs like it was the cool thing to do. That definitely played a part in that system's demise and Sony knows that from a financial standpoint, this could do some damage.

Piracy did not kill the Dreamcast. Broadband wasn't as common back then and you couldn't copy GD-ROMs with a computer the way you could copy PS1 games.

It was Sega's bad reputation (hello 32x!) and Sony's massive PS2 hype that killed it.

Dreamcast was a HUGE success at launch!As time went on SEGA was redeeming themselves with the consumer. Sadly they did it again (one could argue it was the right choice from a purely business standpoint) It was SEGA's fear of the ps2 the sealed it.

• Like 2

Indeed, the Dreamcast was a clear cut success in it's first year (or two). Lots of praise and happy fans were brought about with the Dreamcast's release. Unfortunately, it couldn't kill the hype monster that was the PS2. To this day, I still think the DC is more powerful than the PS2 (or at least, looks prettier). The PS2 was the least powerful machine of it's generation.

• Like 1

I love my Dreamcast(s) but the PS2 kicked major ass.

:D

It's no mystery that the least powerful machines were consistently the market leaders in each generation. All I was saying is that the PS2 can't outperform Dreamcast, let alone the GC and Xbox.

You know it doesnt matter whats in the case but what they do with software right? I know you do.

Its all about the software and what devs do on it. Technically, there's some games on the original Xbox and on the PS2 that match modern day machines in terms of quality (graphics, sound, gameplay). Give them time and they can do amazing things on a machine.

Sadly the Dreamcast wasnt on publishers support list for long. Too many PS1 users. Like me. Sega screwed me over too many times in those days to have faith. Im sure millions felt the same way. I was busy gaming on other machines.

Its just too bad it was a cool idea and nice system but the screwed up before that too many times.

Of course, any intelligent player knows that the software is where it really counts.

However, good software can sometimes suffer due to limitations of the hardware it's on. The N64 is a living example of this. In the case of the PS2, IIRC GTA: San Andreas was kind of sluggish and generally poorer performing than the Xbox version. Similarly, Shadow of the Colossus REALLY drags along due to what it's trying to do with the PS2. It's a great achievement to the hardware, but I can't help but wonder what SOTC would have been like if it was on Xbox and pushed it's hardware to it's extreme like on PS2...

Of course, any intelligent player knows that the software is where it really counts.

However, good software can sometimes suffer due to limitations of the hardware it's on. The N64 is a living example of this. In the case of the PS2, IIRC GTA: San Andreas was kind of sluggish and generally poorer performing than the Xbox version. Similarly, Shadow of the Colossus REALLY drags along due to what it's trying to do with the PS2. It's a great achievement to the hardware, but I can't help but wonder what SOTC would have been like if it was on Xbox and pushed it's hardware to it's extreme like on PS2...

Ahh tech talk, I kind of like all machines regardless of power so I'm one to always brush off the tech behind stuff. I went through that with Atari 2600 vs Intellivision. Its just yeah, yeah but can you play this on it? :P

Sometimes ports seem to always suffer especially if not a lot of effort is put into it. You look at God of War though and those guys squeezed every inch of fiber out of the PS2. I was shocked when I first played them cause I figured the system was dead or dying. I'm sure some cool things could have been done on the Dreamcast but I dont think we'll ever know. Soul Calibur is still amazing to look at and fun to play. It's still my favorite fighter. Still got two Dreamcasts hooked up and two copies of Soul Calibur. :P

The N64, I could never get into it. What few games I liked I now have through emulation thanks to the Wii. I know I'll get flamed for it but it just didnt have enough of what I wanted (compared to the Saturn and PS1). Ouch.

But now you can play them all on the PS3! Waninkoko released PS3 Custom Firmware v3.55 with backup playback support!

Emulation addicts and Pirates rejoice!

Yeah, I'm going to wait for this whole ps3 hacking thing to mature just a little before I jump in on it.

Make no mistake, I *am* jumping in on this soon. At the moment I'm not seeing a real reason to. PS3 games generally aren't worth stealing to start with, and homebrew isn't worth leaving free PSN behind.

Currently it's my understanding that even though we have the blu ray keys we are still using our jailbreaks to get software onto the HD, and using CFW. This really doesn't seem to be the proper way forward.

Selling "3rd party apps and OS's" on disc seems to be a bit closer.

Of course knowing sony, the PS3 probably rejects any and all BD-R discs, and doesn't allow software to run from CD/DVD.

Edited by Reaperman

It's a brick party!

Holy crap, kids are bricking their PS3's with barely tested jailbreaks left and right.

Hrm. I call it 'culling the weak'. :D

Part of me is amused by this because I can imagine the least common denominator doing this solely for the purpose of warezing the latest iteration of Madden.

The other part of me is a bit nervous about it because those big dollar machines are effectively useless until folks figure out how to unbrick them or pawn them off on EBay as "Untested as is" :|

Hex.

[ Admittedly wants to hack his PSP, but is too nervous to do it... ]

Ahh tech talk, I kind of like all machines regardless of power so I'm one to always brush off the tech behind stuff. I went through that with Atari 2600 vs Intellivision. Its just yeah, yeah but can you play this on it? :P

Me as well to a certain extent. I love the hardware just as much as the software. Why be selective? Just love the whole damn concept of video games as a whole. Just like how some people say there should be no such thing as a console fanboy anymore, just buy them all.

Sometimes ports seem to always suffer especially if not a lot of effort is put into it. You look at God of War though and those guys squeezed every inch of fiber out of the PS2. I was shocked when I first played them cause I figured the system was dead or dying. I'm sure some cool things could have been done on the Dreamcast but I dont think we'll ever know. Soul Calibur is still amazing to look at and fun to play. It's still my favorite fighter. Still got two Dreamcasts hooked up and two copies of Soul Calibur. :P

I've never played God of War before. Single player beat 'em ups are a tad boring to me. Not to mention the game sickens me a tad. I don't really feel like playing a sex mini-game (I know it's just the shadows, but come on! You know what's going on) just to get the complete experience. I happen to enjoy playing squeaky clean games thank you very much. :) (but I can put up with some gore too)

The N64, I could never get into it. What few games I liked I now have through emulation thanks to the Wii. I know I'll get flamed for it but it just didnt have enough of what I wanted (compared to the Saturn and PS1). Ouch.

Flamed? On the internet?? Heavens no! You would be given gold medals and nobel prizes for not playing Ninty's kiddy, CD-ROM-less, mature-game-barren, blurry and generally crappy game system. Or at least, this is the golden rule of more elitist places on the web (*COUGHCOUGHneogeo.comCOUGHCOUGH*). If you ask me or other intelligent players (I hate the term "gamer"), they would say it's alright that you never picked up an N64 but at least you tried it's better games in some way (in this case, Virtual Console). The N64 is a great system, I very much enjoy it. Though I agree, for most people it's great like the Atari 5200 is great. Flawed, but great. I don't find many flaws in the N64, but that's my personal preference.

But now you can play them all on the PS3! Waninkoko released PS3 Custom Firmware v3.55 with backup playback support!

Emulation addicts and Pirates rejoice!

I don't even own a PS3 so this whole thread is meaningless to me. But it really makes one tempting now. The thought of having an super computer designed for TV use, ready to have endless possibilities of awesome software, game or otherwise, is too much. ESPECIALLY one that is about as easy to "hack" as the Dreamcast. The Xbox is a little too dangerous for me. I don't want to brick the only Xbox I have that holds years of fond memories in it's hard drive (It took me a long time to get 2 characters away from complete in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. The dozens of maps I made are also priceless. I made some REALLY awesome maps given the mapmaker's limitations).

There's been talk of porting the GECK mod tools to the PS3. GECK is basically software that lets you create mod packs for Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the PC. It'll be awesome if this actually comes true. Even more awesome if it allows community patches to fix all the bugs Bethesda keeps ignoring.

I'm also hopeful that we'll be getting fan-patches for JP only games like the Tales series. There is already a fansub group already working on Vesperia. I see myself buying tons of stuff from Play-Asia this year. :)

Once it gets a foothold, homebrew for PS3 is going to be even better than it is on Wii.

Yeah I read that 60GB models can be bricked. In my opinion it may just be idiots who dont know what they are doing.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-ps3-custom-firmware-bricking-60-gb-consoles-191863.phtml

I love my Dreamcast(s) but the PS2 kicked major ass.

:D

Actually it's an issue with earlier release 60 gb ps3's (PHAT) that had larger SRAM then all of the later releases.

I have read all of the posts as well as the links and watched the youtube videos. I'm not much of a tech guy but am thrilled with this development.

My question is, What am I to do with the codes? What process do I need to do to make my PS3 run this hack? Sorry for the "dumb" question, I just had to ask it.

Thanks.

I don't really feel like playing a sex mini-game (I know it's just the shadows, but come on! You know what's going on) just to get the complete experience.

In the first two games it was a somewhat hidden side thing that you easily miss. Its only a one time gag and its done. Nothing what you think and you missed out on some really fantastic games. Its not as much a beat em' up as people may say. Good stuff mang you need to give them a shot.

I don't even own a PS3 so this whole thread is meaningless to me. But it really makes one tempting now. The thought of having an super computer designed for TV use, ready to have endless possibilities of awesome software, game or otherwise, is too much. ESPECIALLY one that is about as easy to "hack" as the Dreamcast. The Xbox is a little too dangerous for me. I don't want to brick the only Xbox I have that holds years of fond memories in it's hard drive (It took me a long time to get 2 characters away from complete in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. The dozens of maps I made are also priceless. I made some REALLY awesome maps given the mapmaker's limitations).

I never attempted to mod the 360. The Wii is propably the easiest of all. The original Xbox is one of the best machines for homebrewing and the emulation scene. Its great. We'll see how the PS3 turns out. Its only the beginning it seems. Its easy to stick a hard drive in it. It uses standard SATA laptop hard drives. You can stick a 600GB drive in there within a minute. Dump a thousand roms and all your games. It's very much interesting to see what happens. :ponder:

I did not bother with nintendo64. That was for the generation who missed nes and snes, when 3d graphics were starting to take over. As i was used to 2d i felt awkward by seeing a blob mario. Gamecube was much better.

I don't even own a PS3 so this whole thread is meaningless to me. But it really makes one tempting now. The thought of having an super computer designed for TV use, ready to have endless possibilities of awesome software, game or otherwise, is too much. ESPECIALLY one that is about as easy to "hack" as the Dreamcast.

We used to play ps2 a lot. When a friend bought ps3 some things made the game experience less than that of its predecessor.eg no split screen player cooperative mode in killzone 2 like in 1. Only online mode. Then you have to buy a new tv to enjoy the games. Scart output is mediocre.

It feels as if sony forces some things without making any research what players want and already have. For better resolution and net there were pc games. You carry a console to play alone or together with friends.

As a result after 1.5 year we got tired of it and he gave it to a younger friend.

The games were more or less the same as the ps2 and even worse sometimes.

As for linux support i can guarantee that only 1/100 % of users would care. Yet that 1% made more impact than the rest of the peaceful players.

PS3 had a bumpy start in regards to game releases. Alot of games were running subpar and/or had long hard drive installs before you could even play them.

Anywho anyone considering hacking their PS3 it might be safer to wait things out and let the dust settle. Right now alot of stuff is going on and it will take a while for the hackers to get all this CFW stuff straightened out and organized. It's pretty silly cause you have to make sure you get the right version of a homebrew for the version of CFW or jailbreak you are running. Plus there are weird side effects like bricks, blue ray not working.

I had a weird issue the other day where after enabling the lvl2 hack when I put a DVD in it did not show up as DVD video, but something else. So I had to reboot my PS3 to clear out the lvl2 overrides in place. It's pretty wacked.

But at least at this point I can run homebrew, backups off the hard drive and connect to PSN (until Sony updates their firmware). So I'm good for now.

Right now alot of stuff is going on and it will take a while for the hackers to get all this CFW stuff straightened out and organized.

See, I thought the whole point of the encryption keys was so that we would never need CFW. As I understand it, the use for it is to get homebrew onto the system in the first place but it really defeats the whole purpose of having this new power to sign software if we still need a modded system.

Seems like it'd be easier/safer to try and redirect calls to the psn store through external networking equipment.

Maybe even go after the backup/restore utility.

Heck it seems brighter to pull the drive, decrypt it, put items on it and plug it back in.

Edited by Reaperman

Right now alot of stuff is going on and it will take a while for the hackers to get all this CFW stuff straightened out and organized.

See, I thought the whole point of the encryption keys was so that we would never need CFW. As I understand it, the use for it is to get homebrew onto the system in the first place but it really defeats the whole purpose of having this new power to sign software if we still need a modded system.

Seems like it'd be easier/safer to try and redirect calls to the psn store through external networking equipment.

Maybe even go after the backup/restore utility.

Heck it seems brighter to pull the drive, decrypt it, put items on it and plug it back in.

Just because they have the encryption keys doesn't mean they've figured out the entire logical order of Sony's proprietary OS yet. Being able to sign programs is just one tiny aspect of it. There's still tons of security and syscall/peek/poke issues to deal with before this stuff runs stable.

Edited by Underball

Anywho anyone considering hacking their PS3 it might be safer to wait things out and let the dust settle.

Yep this is what I'm doing. No reason to fiddle with this just yet.

Tempest

Same here. I'm not going to brick my still functioning 60Gb Launch model with full BC just to play a few Homebrew emulators I can play on PC, PS2, PSP, and any number of other systems. Backup Manager ability sounds great, but I'll wait until the get this shit sorted, first.

• Like 1