IGNORED

Atari Forum restore options

How desperate are you to have Atari Forum back online?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Please indicate which of the following stratergies we should move forward with:

• Sit tight and give 250host another week to appear online.
    • Restore the old backup and get it online asap.
    • Restore the old backup but set all users to read only so that the forum can be harvested for information.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm canvassing opinion as I am undecided. I have a full backup from the 4th December uploaded and ready to restore on the new host. However restoring this will mean losing all changes and posts made through December.

The old host provider *may* get back online - in which event, I can obtain a full latest backup to restore.

However if the old host re-appears after I have restored the 4th December backup, things get messy and I'm not totally sure on the feasibility of migrating posts, user stats, site changes, mod actions, PM's etc (probably not very feasible if I'm honest).

So I put to you all three options:

1. Sit tight and give 250host another week to appear online.

2. Restore the old backup and get it online asap.

3. Restore the old backup but set all users to read only so that the forum can be harvested for information.

If we go for option three we agree to keep it in that state until we know for sure whether 250host have gone to the wall or not.

If anyone has any better idea, put it forward.

Edited by Dal_1978

Can you create an environment where the restore is done and everything is locked/read only, but new threads can be created in normal fashion?

That'd make merging easier, then you'd just need to decide whether or not to merge the new content with the existing if/when you got the missing data back.

OPTION 1

Thanks for keeping everyone informed and your hard work is appreciated. icon_thumbsup.gif

I'd say .. if you've got lots of time and want to verify the workflow (that restore actually works and all the software is the right versions and configured and licensed, etc) then go for option 3; otherwise option 1 and try calling 250host and see what they say is up :) We can all wait, but if I was in your shoes I'd be all itchy to try option 3 and just see what happens :)

Thanks for running with it all!

jeff

I put 3, since I happen to need some info (selfish of me ;), and think its a good exercise even if oyu wipe it (ie: make sure backups are working :) But _certainly_ 1 is just as valid, and only d o(3) if you have time to burn. If theres any stress or busyness, just do 1 .. don't fret on our account :)

So to me, its really (1)+(3) vs (2) anyway; 2 seems a bad idea imho .. just leads to more work :)

jeff

EEEK, what a terrible situation to be in. Since taking over AMN I have been paranoid with backups of both databases and online files. Databases are backed up every couple of days and file backups of the entire site at least once a week (At least now I'm back online after moving house).

I'd initially go option 3 because it could be made live if it looks like the old providers are long gone and not coming back, or at least the site is not coming back. If need be I can provide databases and space to bring it online, though it would be easier and less messy at my personal site rather than AMN (Which already has a forum structure and files in place).

Offer is there is needed.

EEEK, what a terrible situation to be in. Since taking over AMN I have been paranoid with backups of both databases and online files. Databases are backed up every couple of days and file backups of the entire site at least once a week (At least now I'm back online after moving house).

I'd initially go option 3 because it could be made live if it looks like the old providers are long gone and not coming back, or at least the site is not coming back. If need be I can provide databases and space to bring it online, though it would be easier and less messy at my personal site rather than AMN (Which already has a forum structure and files in place).

Thanks for the offer but hosting is sorted (go to www.Atari-forum.com for details of the story so far).

It's been a nightmare, I was given admin privileges from 4th December and after sorting out some decent cloud based storage, wrote scripts ready to start automatically harvesting backups - first one cron'd up for NYE when I envisaged little usage. Of course the site died on 27th December... Gutted!

Thanks for the offer but hosting is sorted (go to www.Atari-forum.com for details of the story so far).

It's been a nightmare, I was given admin privileges from 4th December and after sorting out some decent cloud based storage, wrote scripts ready to start automatically harvesting backups - first one cron'd up for NYE when I envisaged little usage. Of course the site died on 27th December... Gutted!

Well good thing that the hosting is sorted, shame it died on the 27th though. This is the first I've found out about it all as we've been offline while the new broadband was put in, then I've been concentrating on both AMN and getting my personal website back online after a major change.

Still, I do hope its all back online soon, it's such a great resource.

for hardware

between the 4th and down point there were about 15-30 posts in total

and i think maybe 1-3 added thread's

in Falcon TT hardware there was 1 added topic

nothing changed in that period for the guide section

i think i maybe made about 5 or 6 posts in that time myself

the only topic that changed really apart from the revj TT probs ..

was some of the ones in the st hardware regarding a bad ST machine

and how to find a problem with it .. not booting

i vote we take the knock on the chin and learn

it makes a hard job much easier... for sure...

no telling how the files will arrive if they do ...

perhaps the company needs some time to setup actual admin rights to the actual account

as repect to the lease owner

usualy has to be done in writing only

lots of if not all companies deal this way

for security reasons

so perhaps a letter of intent to them by the SS will move them along somewhat,,,

carry on for now to build the box set and see what comes back after a jolt of paper... :P

Edited by simbo

i voted for choice 2 becouse i think 250host has gone to the wall

or living in Las vegas maybe there C.O plays the 1M $ puggy too much ,...

you can try calling there admin or others in there office on the phone

and give them more of a push... :P

Registrant:

iSight, Inc

848 N. Rainbow Blvd.

Las Vegas, NV 89107

US

Domain name: 250HOST.COM

Administrative Contact:

Salisbury, Brian

848 N. Rainbow Blvd.

Las Vegas, NV 89107

US

+1.8886444384

Technical Contact:

Salisbury, Brian

848 N. Rainbow Blvd.

Las Vegas, NV 89107

US

+1.8886444384

Registration Service Provider:

250Host.com - Straightforward Hosting., Email address protected from spam harvesters

+1.8886444384

http://www.250Host.com

250Host may be contacted for domain login/passwords, DNS/Nameserver

changes, and general domain support questions.

@Simbo: I've Been sending messages to Brian after I tracked him down via Facebook. I've had absolutely nothing from him at all. Frustrating really as I just want to know the prognosis. If 250host is dead, never to return then I just need to know. Makes planning actions difficult when there is no indication of the scale of a problem.

I also rang that number and it went straight to an answering system. Maybe they'll return my call?

@WongCK: Silver Surfer had an online chat with the company 250host are(was?) registered with yesterday. I will upload the transcript to the blog page for everyone (got home late from work yesterday so no time to do it then). Bottom line was he couldn't get much information from them.

@Jeff: the backup we have is a full site backup created by CPanel X, everything *should* be there. We'll know for sure when it's restored by hostpapa.

Poll: How desperate are you to have Atari Forum back online?

Please indicate which of the following strategies we should move forward with:

1. Sit tight and give 250host another week to appear online. (9 votes, Percentage of vote: 50.00%)

2. Restore the old backup and get it online asap. (4 votes, Percentage of vote: 22.22%)

3. Restore the old backup but set all users to read only so that the forum can be harvested for information. (5 votes, Percentage of vote: 27.78%)

(After 18 members have cast votes) 2011-01-07 09:49 GMT.

I don't think we should just be sitting around waiting for another week if there is a working back-up unless it is a lot of work to bring this back-up to life (but it sounds as if the back-up is nearly ready to go online). Having an alternative would also demonstrate to 250host that the site is considered to be important to it's users.

However, at the same time no one really knows the value of any information that is currently unavailable (from the time after the backup was completed on the 4th December and the time when the site went down). So I think that the 4th December back-up should be put on line as a read only resource while we wait to see if 250host can / will / is able to recover the site and / or recover the data.

The next question if we do wait, is how long do we wait? With a read only version of the site online I think we can wait for a couple of weeks (at least). For option 1, I would suggest that the waiting time be less.

Hmm, how much work is it to bring the 4th December site online as a read only version?

That's the real current question.

As long as the work is manageable (given that it may have to be done anyway), I suggest that this is the way forward...

What does everyone else think?

Edited by 1024MAK

Hmm, how much work is it to bring the 4th December site online as a read only version?

That's the real current question.

As long as the work is manageable (given that it may have to be done anyway), I suggest that this is the way forward...

What does everyone else think?

[/font][/size]

OK - to get the 4th December backup online in itself isn't too hard however it's time consuming and there are considerations:

1. All posts after 4th December will be lost.

2. Any Moderator work like deleting spammers through December will be undone (not a big problem)

3. The FireBee section created towards the end of December will need recreating (with the correct posts moved)

4. Any PM's sent between users throughout December will be lost.

5. My User account will need to be recreated again (it was deleted by an admin by mistake when they were trying to make an alteration to it for me)

6. Until we know for sure that 250Host are gone and never to return, there is always that feeling that maybe we can get the most up to date data.

We are making the assumption that the backup is 'stable' (We won't know for sure until it is restored by the host provider). The backup has been uploaded to the backend - I just need to give the 'nod' to the host provider to restore it.

The backup was taken just before Silver Surfer repaired my deleted account (long story, won't go into it here) - so once it's online, I will need to jump in with the backend admin password to redo that work. Then I will need to set all the forums to read only. There is no magic switch for this, it's something that has to be done for each forum (and sub forum). Some people may log in during this time and post stuff - fair enough, these posts will be lost if we get a more up to date backup from 250host.

What I don't want to do is spend a day getting all this done only to find 250host return the next day and we have to go through some of the process again... But will do whatever the majority vote for.

I plan to keep the poll going until tonight and then close it (probably around 11pm GMT). If option 1 is the favourite, I do nothing until next Saturday at which point (assuming I've not heard any news from 250host, I will go for the next favoured option from the poll).

If any news regarding 250host comes to light then it will surely be posted here and on the blog.

Can I ask everyone to continue the vigilate work and see if you can uncover what's going on with 250host? Sterling work done by some people so far. Many Thanks to you all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Dal_1978