IGNORED

ADAM Enhanced Games on the Colecovision

Tempest

Is it possible to port the ADAM enhanced versions of games (Zaxxon, DK, DK JR) or ADAM specific games (Dragons Lair, Hard Hat Mac, AE, etc.) to the regular Colecovision? I know they use extra memory, but is it possible to overcome this limitation now with all the advances in cartridge board design? I would assume the games would have to be somewhat re-written and that games that used the keyboard for more than selecting options (like Jeopardy and Family Feud) are out, but is it possible? I know that DK and DK Jr were somewhat hacked to work on the Colecovision, but they were stripped down to fit within the 32K cartridge limit.

Tempest

Is it possible to port the ADAM enhanced versions of games (Zaxxon, DK, DK JR) or ADAM specific games (Dragons Lair, Hard Hat Mac, AE, etc.) to the regular Colecovision? I know they use extra memory, but is it possible to overcome this limitation now with all the advances in cartridge board design? I would assume the games would have to be somewhat re-written and that games that used the keyboard for more than selecting options (like Jeopardy and Family Feud) are out, but is it possible?

It's possible, theoretically. In fact, I would like to release Dragon's Lair (and possibly Zaxxon Super Game) on cartridge under my Team Pixelboy publishing label one day. But it would be a LOT of work. We're talking about restructuring up to 160K's worth of code and data, which is a lot more work than disassembling and studying the machine code of a regular 32K CV cart. Whoever does this job needs to know the ADAM inside and out, and would also need to be confortable with existing CV cartridge bankswitching technology. And of course, you'd probably need at least 16K of extra RAM plugged into the front expansion port of the console...

I know that DK and DK Jr were somewhat hacked to work on the Colecovision, but they were stripped down to fit within the 32K cartridge limit.

I would think it's the other way around. Coleco made the CV versions first, and then expanded the games when they created the ADAM versions.

Is it possible to port the ADAM enhanced versions of games (Zaxxon, DK, DK JR) or ADAM specific games (Dragons Lair, Hard Hat Mac, AE, etc.) to the regular Colecovision? I know they use extra memory, but is it possible to overcome this limitation now with all the advances in cartridge board design? I would assume the games would have to be somewhat re-written and that games that used the keyboard for more than selecting options (like Jeopardy and Family Feud) are out, but is it possible? I know that DK and DK Jr were somewhat hacked to work on the Colecovision, but they were stripped down to fit within the 32K cartridge limit.

Tempest

Someone has already hacked A.E. to run on the ColecoVision, the rom file was never made available unfortunately. There are a couple EOS CALLSs and such made by the AE program code, but for the most part it is a CV cart and if memory serves me right, the program code size is 16K.

Someone has already hacked A.E. to run on the ColecoVision, the rom file was never made available unfortunately.

Really? .... Someone over here?

I must be the only one who like this game, but I kind of like the backgounds in this game

Not the better game I played, but enough to give it some try

Pretty sure it was somene associated with Digital Press and quite possibly Sean Kelly, but I am not 100% sure. Think I may be stopping by his store again soon with some offerings and hopefully this time there won't be so many shoppers in there that made it hard to talk to him (pre-X-MAS rush and all).

Another person that has the necessary knowledge of the CV and ADAM to pull off a port of A.E. as well as some of the ADAM SuperGames is Jim Walters of Walters Software Co. In fact, Jim Walters was the go to guy back in the 80's and early 90's for a lot of projects including disassembling the SuperGames that were only supplied by Coleco on Data Pack and patching them to work from Disk. He also patched/fixed a number of other unreleased Coleco software programs to get them to work correctly. Unfortunately, Jim has been battling some health issues which has made it impossible for him to be involved anymore.