IGNORED

Game SLUG: Ideal for A8

José Pereira

If I didn't post some Games and Screens, I would not get some coders on some Games...

If I post 1000 Games and get 2,3or4 going on (like now...) it seems good for me...

That is the same argumentation/reason why spammers don't stop to post their nonsense. If they sell 1000 'herbal-items' as a result of 10 000 000 mails, they don't stop business...

José, what about quality? Do you really like to see that slug thing (lemon rating 5.8 ) realized in favour to a e.g. 'last Ninja' port?

Can you imagine, that the ideas of the programmers may be better than yours?

I have two additional problems with your posts:

- You behave like the main A8-project scheduler/dispatcher. In the 'contemporary game programmer seeks a8 advice', the poster asked for technical advice - not for game ideas. I can imagine he asked for technical advice, since he already has something in his mind...

- IMHO you try to push programmers (emoticons used or not), but could you please just *present* your ideas? Without trying to force, persuade anyone? I'm sure programmers will know the reason of your presentation.

I also just said this many Times and will continue to say (as I will continue to show Games/Screens/possibilities in A8):

"IT'S MY TIME THAT IS LOST WITH ALL THESE SCREENS... ANYONE THAT DON'T WANT SIMPLY DON'T READ MY POSTS!"

If you like to reduce the potential audience of programmers, you can of course continue with the style and amount of your suggestions.

Have a nice Day!...

You too.

Edited by Irgendwer

That is the same argumentation/reason why spammers doesn't stop to post their nonsense. If they sell 1000 'herbal-items' as a result of 10 000 000 mails, they don't stop business...

I don't see nor AA have any complaints that my screens are infecting others computers...

José, what about quality? Do you really like to see that slug thing (lemon rating 5.8 ) realized in favour to a e.g. 'last Ninja' port?

Yes, LN it's better but getting a coder wasn't possible untill now!

(without having to pay some Money ;) ...)

Can you imagine, that the ideas of the programmers may be better than yours?

Yes, they probably could have...

I am not the owner of 100% the Truth.

UWOL:

I post here some Images and ways of getting a Game.

A coder contacts me.

My ideas/Thoughts worked and we the "Things are going on..."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Other Game someone thinks of porting it to A8: PAC-MANIA

I answer him and send my Screens/Proposal

The Game it's beeing coded on my Screens basis

The coder likes to get Pac-Man shapes better and Tezz are helping...

I am waiting to see if the Sprites with PRIOR0 and PF2/PF3 clash or not.

And if I probably have to remake something...

But the majour ideas is there...

-------------------------------------------------------------

CREATURES2:

CreatureXL is slowly coding it because his lack of time.

I get one of the Interlude Screens and some thoughts to this Screen and for all the others.

Somethings change, others not, but we are "going on a good way..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

BARBARIAN:

I've done and show here all the 4screens of the PlayingArea.

Wratchild done the SoftSprites routines many Months early...

He will join them when he have some time...

Probably we will need more cycle free and I probably have to get some DLIs,PMs,... off the screen, but we will get something, for sure...

---------------------------------------------------------------

And one or two more probably will go...

- You behave like the main A8-project scheduler/dispatcher. In the 'contemporary game programmer seeks a8 advice', the poster asked for technical advice - not for game ideas. I can imagine he asked for technical advice, since he already has something in his mind...

- IMHO you try to push programmers (emoticons used or not), but could you please just *present* your ideas? Without trying to force, persuade anyone? I'm sure programmers will know the reason of your presentation.

I am not the only one, nor the greatest one!

I am one of them...

We all are needed!...

"IT'S MY TIME THAT IS LOST WITH ALL THESE SCREENS... ANYONE THAT DON'T WANT SIMPLY DON'T READ MY POSTS!

It's postings like if I am a "persona non grata" that makes me sometimes writing this sentences...

If you like to reduce the potential audience of programmers, you can of course continue with the style and amount of your suggestions.

I am just doing what gives me pleasure.

I have most of the Day free and I like to do this...

Will it makes sense to do all these Screens/Thoughts and didn't show to the A8 community?

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Yep.

Bottom line is, the person paying the wages calls the shots.

Since programmers aren't being payed, they call the shots. Including any deviation from an existing product if it's a port or reproduction of other work.

I think the idea of people presenting ideas is fine, but this pressure sell business is just annoying.

Another thing - creating a set of nice graphics for a game might take 3 hours, or 10 or more hours. Creating some nice music for a game might take 10 hours, or 30 or more hours.

Doing the actually grunt work of programming - you're taking those numbers and multiplying by a power of 10.

José is doing nothing negative, I'd say. Some things have to be hammered - it seems- instead of trying to convince people for doing some stuff.

Particular latest releases show HOW UNDERUSED the Atari still is. And still people cannot put 1 and 1 together.

Please don't tell me that you would have considered something like Project - M is possible in any way, before you have seen it.

Will this ever change? Even after NRV has proven the false thinking that happened after 1982 , people still think the same wrong way.

In GTIA modes very powerfull ego perspective based games still wait to be done. Actually easier than a hires based flash game....

Please don't tell me that you would have considered something like Project - M is possible in any way, before you have seen it.

Project M is a big effort. (Pause.)

But it seems that I'm not astonished in the same way as your are. Games/demos like 'RoF', 'Encounter', 'Dimension X', 'Capture the flag','Yoomp' or Numen already showed that there is something possible in that direction. I regard "Project M" as kind of evolution, not revolution as you may do.

Even after NRV has proven the false thinking that happened after 1982 , people still think the same wrong way.

When you mean 2D games I have to disagree. What is wrong thinking here? Games are about having fun. I see nothing wrong in an entertaining 2D-game. I even have to admit, that I'm quite bored by the x-th ego-shooter - like by the x-th (insert a famous 2D-game here) clone.

But when you mean that we need more games tailored to the features of the A8 and not bad rip-offs of titles created respecting the strengths of other machines I'm with you.

In GTIA modes very powerfull ego perspective based games still wait to be done. Actually easier than a hires based flash game....

I care more about playability/fun than sophisticated technical realization. If both comes together, great! - But please don't bore me with some kind of tech-demo. The result of last years ABBUC-contest could be an indicator, that I'm not the only one thinking so.

An example for a good 2D-game without long thinking about PMGs, CPU time or other resources?

http://www.continuitygame.com/

This is on my list. The so-called 'useless' different chunky A8-resolutions, would come very handy here...

Edited by Irgendwer

...BTW: "SonSon" is IMHO a much better and interesting game with a similar visual style.

Hey that is a good game, and looks good for ataris strengths ... Nice pick!

Yes, and the two player simultaneous mode makes fun too.

Come on, do it, code it! I allow you to strip it down to the spec. of the A8.

You will, won't you? ;)

An example for a good 2D-game without long thinking about PMGs, CPU time or other resources?

This is on my list. The so-called 'useless' different chunky A8-resolutions, would come very handy here...

Thanks for pointing that out it's a fun little title and a nice concept.

Even after NRV has proven the false thinking that happened after 1982 , people still think the same wrong way.

When you mean 2D games I have to disagree. What is wrong thinking here? Games are about having fun. I see nothing wrong in an entertaining 2D-game. I even have to admit, that I'm quite bored by the x-th ego-shooter - like by the x-th (insert a famous 2D-game here) clone.

But when you mean that we need more games tailored to the features of the A8 and not bad rip-offs of titles created respecting the strengths of other machines I'm with you.

That's it. Instead of going further in the direction where the Lucasfilm games pointed to, they tried to stress everything into adapting C64 or Spectrum optimised games.

Believe me. Everyone would have chosen Everytime 3D/ego perspective games, if they had the choice.The only handycap was the low framerate where people didn't realize what's going on on the screen.

2D games still stand for "short playable fun" while longer playable games worked with an ego - or iso - perspective view.

Edited by emkay

Well.. one vote for José, one for playability (fun) and one for 2d games.

I like to see new screens, I think he is getting better with time. I wouldn't call his posts "spam", you can always ignore them and is not like he's doing 3 new threads per day, like in his good old days :P. Also I think he is getting results and this "small scene" needs all the "enthusiasm" that it can get. Is not like he is luring "good" programmers to the "evil" side, if the game proposed is not good then it probably will just fade away. Some people sometimes need the motivation that José provides (I don't understand how someone can fell "pressure" just by reading a post).

About 2d vs 3d games I don't think one should replace the other, there is space for both. You can express different types of "fun" through different types of games, but I don't think that make one more "valuable" than the other. I myself have two other projects that are 2d and are in a state a lot more playable than P.M., because is more easy to "design a game" when you don't need to burn a lot of time in the technical aspects of the project. I also believe that the best games, specific to the capabilities of our machines, are still waiting to be written.

• Like 4

This game is great!

Thanks for linking it. I really like the move to explore more basic game play mechanics. This one is just great, and it can be done in 4 colors.

Project M is a big effort. (Pause.)

But it seems that I'm not astonished in the same way as your are. Games/demos like 'RoF', 'Encounter', 'Dimension X', 'Capture the flag','Yoomp' or Numen already showed that there is something possible in that direction. I regard "Project M" as kind of evolution, not revolution as you may do.

I care more about playability/fun than sophisticated technical realization. If both comes together, great! - But please don't bore me with some kind of tech-demo. The result of last years ABBUC-contest could be an indicator, that I'm not the only one thinking so.

This game is great!

Thanks for linking it. I really like the move to explore more basic game play mechanics. This one is just great, and it can be done in 4 colors.

[offtopic] I like your new sig.. [/offtopic]

Well, there are a lot Atari8bit-friendly concepts out there in the indie scene. Visit something like http://www.indiegames.com/blog/ and you are going to find some simply and fun games from time to time (very "portable").

For example this week I was thinking about this one:

http://www.nonverbal.ch/colorbind.html

(see the video)

Edited by NRV

...I myself have two other projects that are 2d and are in a state a lot more playable than P.M., because is more easy to "design a game" when you don't need to burn a lot of time in the technical aspects of the project. I also believe that the best games, specific to the capabilities of our machines, are still waiting to be written.

That sounds about right, its not the perspective that is important but how fun a game is at the end.

Games like portal or that "Continuity" can be made in 2d as in 3d... Its up to a programmer to choose what is doable.

And too often it depends not on machine and its capabilities but on how much time a person can devote to it.

So - thumbs up for Jose and his "Slug" proposition - far from the best game in the world but good as a concept to show what can be done on A8 !

...BTW: "SonSon" is IMHO a much better and interesting game with a similar visual style.

You will, won't you? ;)

Just look another look on it and I like it even more :)

But it would have to wait... Working on two projects already...

Maybe if I push Jose to convert graphics for it ;)

But it is from Nes and in hires mode so not so easy...

You will, won't you? ;)

Just look another look on it and I like it even more :)

But it would have to wait... Working on two projects already...

Maybe if I push Jose to convert graphics for it ;)

But it is from Nes and in hires mode so not so easy...

Hi, Graphics, just Graphics no problem, doesn't matter 1:1 or 2:1

The Logic and the PMs use that also affect Screen Graphics and if I will use BitMap or CharMode...

By now from what I see, it does't seem on A8...

And the Enemys at SonSon are really Sprites, not scrolling Tiles.

Probably too many to get a fluent A8...

But I haven't try to play it and just some Minutes at YouTube...

Probably I will not spent time with it... but if you kindly ask for... who knows ;)

José Pereira.

I am not counting Jose's posts as spam as he gives new views on established traditional ways of doing gameson A8. Same like Emkay's threads or others... ;)

Absolutely not spam at all!! I love his posts too, as do I suspect a lot of the programmers who (if like me) love his enthusiasm for wanting to produce something(s) really good that actually does justice to the machine..

I find them often fairly though provoking on how to go about things.. I'd love if he learnt to program 6502 and was capable of turning a lot of his ideas into something more solid, but either way the A8 forum wouldn't be the same without his latest master-plan of converting something that went beyond the regular 160x100 3 colour screens..

I just love his unwavering determinism that you just can't knock.. Wish I had a bit more of that if I'm honest :) And I look forward to the day he rolls out the first thing he has been beavering away on, because I have very high hopes that it's going to be something damned good looking :)

Edited by andym00
  • Like 3