IGNORED

Atari Paddles

Vocelli

This has, most likely, been covered before.

Is there anyway to repair paddles controllers that get shakey. I have 2 pair and both shake a lot.

This is annoying and prevents me from playing paddle games.

By the way. I just dug out my Atari from 25 years ago and found I have a rare cart.

Crazy Climber!

Other cool/rare games I found were Subterrenea, Cryps of Chaos and Private Eye.

• Like 1

Is there anyway to repair paddles controllers that get shakey. I have 2 pair and both shake a lot.

The process basically involves either replacing the potentiometers inside the paddle, or opening them up and cleaning/re-lubricating them. Cleaning the old ones is easier, since the shaft is an unusual "D" shape that isn't easy to match with new pots. I don't remember who, but somebody put together a really good walkthrough with pictures; I'm sure you'll find it if you do a search for "paddle jitter" or something similar.

By the way. I just dug out my Atari from 25 years ago and found I have a rare cart.

Crazy Climber!

Other cool/rare games I found were Subterrenea, Cryps of Chaos and Private Eye.

Best instruction I have seen, and he sells the parts to get it done with, is Bradley over at BEST ELECTRONICS:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx30_paddle.htm

He spent literally YEARS looking for the best re-manufactured option for the potentiometers.

I have ordered from him a LOT, and highly recommend him.

-a2a

Best instruction I have seen, and he sells the parts to get it done with, is Bradley over at BEST ELECTRONICS:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx30_paddle.htm

He spent literally YEARS looking for the best re-manufactured option for the potentiometers.

I have ordered from him a LOT, and highly recommend him.

Very interesting writeup; thanks for posting the link. So it seems that Brad found new replacements for the original Atari pots, which is very good news. I've got a few paddles that could use them.

You do not really have to disassemble the pots. Just get a can of electronic parts cleaner at your local RS and dowse them in it. Twist the pot stem back and forth about 10-20 times and all should work well. Jitters be gone!

... along with the high-viscosity grease that was put in them by design to give them that smooth physical resistance. Which is fine, if you like your paddle knobs to be much easier to turn. But if you want to keep the original feel, better to stick with the disassemble-and-clean method.

You do not really have to disassemble the pots. Just get a can of electronic parts cleaner at your local RS and dowse them in it. Twist the pot stem back and forth about 10-20 times and all should work well. Jitters be gone!

... along with the high-viscosity grease that was put in them by design to give them that smooth physical resistance. Which is fine, if you like your paddle knobs to be much easier to turn. But if you want to keep the original feel, better to stick with the disassemble-and-clean method.

I agree with just using a switch contact cleaner too,this should suffice.I mean after all the paddles just rotate left and right i do not expect or remember how paddles used to feel its not like i am going to make love to them ;)

just sit in front of a good skin flick and start twisting that wrist!

My wife says you need to get a life. :D

Funny, my wife tells me the same thing!

But seriously, it does work well. But if a lubricant/cleaner is used it will stay smooth longer and you won't need to get as vigorous with your wrist as often.

(Yes that was deliberately ambiguous ;-) )