IGNORED

Has anyone found any consoles at a antique store

The antique stores around here are cluing in that selling just furniture, china, or other crap from the turn of the century (a la American Pickers) isn't enough to keep them in business. I've got antique stores around here that have lots of great stuff from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, including video games, comic books, toys, models, games, etc.

I don't usually see actual video games at the antiques stores around here, but I have seen arcade marquees, gaming themed drinking glasses and things like that. They always seem priced to high (to me anyway), so I don't think I've ever actually bought anything.

Totally depends on the store really. Some antique stores only cater to a certain clientele and those that do usually just sell high-priced furniture, jewelry, rugs, tapestries, art, china, silverware, glassware, etc. Those are my LEAST favorite kind. The newer breed of antique stores are more like indoor thrifts/flea markets where different sellers have booths full of stuff on consignment. These kinds generally have a much better selection with stuff revolving around pop culture. Those are my favorite and yes, I've found all sorts of gaming equipment, stereo gear, nice/affordable furniture, lp's, 8-tracks, video game collectibles and the like. You can usually tell right away what kind of antique store is what by the outside and what they're advertising in the windows. Good luck!

I've only ever seen a lonely 2600 Pac-Man cartridge in an antique shop. I don't recall the specific price, but I found it funny at the time. :roll:

There is one shop around here that sells books and some old advertising material, but most just stick to funriture, glassware, china, and the like.

There's an antique flea market about 20 mins. from my house that has the occasional PS2 or VCS console. Usually they are very overpriced.

They also have some xbox, PS2, GC, and 2600 games from time to time. They are usually priced reasonable.

The thing is you have to visit all these booths full of old ceramic dolls and thimbles before you come across the occasional good game stuff. :|

I'm going to one today and i just wanted to know if anyone found anything good? :?

No. Not once. Ever. Really, I'm not even exaggerating.

Out of dozens of antique shops:

(1) Beat up Q*bert arcade, screen working, controls not working, $700+

(2) Crappy arcade game I never hear of before, not working, $475

(3) Various pinballs, not one fully working, cheapest was $800

(4) Several 2600s, cheapest was $75

I could go on, but what's the point?

It's worth looking, but don't get your hopes too high.

• Like 1

I've found games at antique stores, never consoles. But the prices are all jacked up worse than eBay. $30 for Sonic 1? I'll pass, thanks. I think someone here got a LaserActive for like $30 at an antique store a few years ago.

Edited by Rev. Rob

I've had trouble finding anything in stores around here (North Dallas Area). Goodwill never has anything and even the pawn shops have a terrible selection. The only place I find stuff is at dedicated gaming stores or places like Movie Trading Company (where I found a 2600 last time I went, didn't ask how much it was but I might drop by again and see if it's still there.)

There is a place called FX Game Exchange that is really pretty nice to browse though. They have games for a lot of older systems, or at least those dating back to the NES. Last time there I picked up a couple of Genesis games. =)

I've found a green N64 with games. Including a few imports for $50 total at a local antique store.

But to this day, looking back now. There is one console that i saw at a Antique store. That to this day I regret not getting.

In the later half of the 90's. One of my local antique stores had a Virtual Boy for $15. I was only like 7 or 8 years old at the time. And virtual reality still was pretty popular. The main reason we didn't get it was my dad wasn't sure if we would be able to get games for it.

I was just at the antique place everyone around here just calls "The Barn". Got a loose NES Snow Brothers for $3 :D

Lots of stuff is overpriced but games are pretty good prices - NES are $3, Anything Atari, CV, INTV, Genesis, SNES etc - $2.50. PS1 and N64 are $5.

I did get a loose Atari junior there last year for $10 which isn't great or terrible.

Went mantiquing yesterday morning in Northern, IL. Saw a near CIB Genesis 1 system for $35, a CIB Vadar 2600 for $25, a CIB SNES for $40 and a CIB Coleco Telstar Pong unit for $15. Passed on 'em all, even though I'm looking for a Genesis. It was missing its power supply and the console was in rough shape. All of them said "untested" too, but I'm sure they worked. In another booth, across the way I spied 2 NES sets. One was $60 and the other was $80. Neither looked particularly worth a hoot.

• Like 1

Never in the proper antique shops but outside of the city its a different story. In more rural parts of New England there are a lot of "old man in barn full of dusty stuff" antique stores along the roads. These sort of places are not so fussy about what they sell and I can think of a couple of times when they've pulled out hidden boxes of old stuff. The key thing is actually asking them, they always have more stuff than you can see.

• Like 1

There are two kinds of stores in my area that people think of as "antique stores". There are real antigue stores like you are used to seeing, and there are "junk stores" as I call them. They work like antique stores, people pay a monthly rate for a booth and sell their stuff through the owner of the store. The junk stores are covered in gaming stuff around here. The prices are just crazy! I really think the owners just know what the owner wants for the item and adds what they want on the fly to try to get as much as possible. I rarely buy anything from these places. I got 2 2600 sticks, both were in none working condition when I got them home, and despite the claim that they were perfectly working, I got nothing when I tried to bring them back. Gotta stay away from those places.

There are two kinds of stores in my area that people think of as "antique stores". There are real antigue stores like you are used to seeing, and there are "junk stores" as I call them. They work like antique stores, people pay a monthly rate for a booth and sell their stuff through the owner of the store. The junk stores are covered in gaming stuff around here. The prices are just crazy! I really think the owners just know what the owner wants for the item and adds what they want on the fly to try to get as much as possible. I rarely buy anything from these places. I got 2 2600 sticks, both were in none working condition when I got them home, and despite the claim that they were perfectly working, I got nothing when I tried to bring them back. Gotta stay away from those places.

oh we dont have crap like that here. We just have thrift stores. tons of donations. thats it.

This one store called seconds city does this but every day the item goes down 1% in price.

So, I totally scored stuff free there. If its >100 days old they just hand it to you and let you leave, lol