IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

This post personally goes to the a-hole who emailed me a few minutes ago calling me a liar and a crook, that I'm taking people's money and I'm not planning on producing anything and his main argument was "all you've shown are a few photo's of a piece of plastic, you don't even have any metal work or anything else done, you are a liar and have stolen people's money"

The petulance and impatience of some people is still astonishing to me. Whoever it was that complained and called Curt a liar has probably never undertaken a creative project of this magnitude, or indeed of any kind at all. He's probably never even thought about everything that goes into the making of a simple pencil, let alone a complex electronic device like the 7800XM. All of the people complaining that "we haven't seen any games!!!" probably haven't stopped to think about all the time and effort it takes to finish both the 7800XM and a library of complete and polished games to support it, not to mention the added challenges of coordinating the network of volunteers who are working so hard to have all of these projects ready at the same time.

These are some of the reasons why, in my own opinion, the "homebrew scene" was much more fun in its infancy, around the mid-1990s. Those of us who were in the classic gaming hobby back then can remember a time when developing new product for old and dead systems was such a novelty that fans of those systems were delighted to see anything new. They didn't go around sending rude e-mails and demanding rigid timetables and unrealistic price points, because it was generally understood that such projects were undertaken as labors of love and in the spare time of those who were creating them. Now, after so many of these projects have been completed, people have come to expect them, and have come to think of them as more of a business than a hobby.

For these people, seeing someone create something and share it with their fellow hobbyists isn't good enough anymore: now it has to come with retail-quality packaging, top-tier technical support, and at a price comparable to that of a cheap mass-produced toy that one might find on a shelf at Wal-Mart. Even with all that, the attitude toward these projects is no longer one of gratitude and appreciation, but one of entitlement: "I deserve to have it, and you deserve to give it to me, in exactly the way and at exactly the price I demand." I don't know exactly when this started, but perhaps the fact that Atari systems in particular have become popular and "retro-cool" even among the general population has had something to do with it. It's made the hobby larger, but it's also attracted an undesirable element, one without the level of appreciation of more serious enthusiasts.

I apologize if I'm doing anyone an injustice, and I don't intend to paint with too broad a brush. What I've said does not apply to everybody in the hobby: those fans of the Mattel Aquarius who have followed my Aquaricart project for nearly a year now, for example, have been absolutely wonderful, even though that project has also dragged on much longer than originally anticipated. It's rare to see that kind of positive energy around the Atari systems, or any of the other more "popular" classic platforms, anymore. The audience for the Aquaricart is surely much smaller than that of the 7800XM, but the enthusiasm and encouragement of that audience has inspired me to make the final product better than any of us could have imagined possible when I started. Attitudes like that of Curt's accusing correspondent, however, will only serve to discourage future projects of this kind.

• Like 15

I was using the pisser in a bar one Friday night when I saw this scratched on the wall of the restroom, in front of me: "I f*cked your mother." Written beneath it, someone else wrote: "Go home Dad, you're drunk."

Yeah, it looks like Dad got a snootful again tonight, and started sending drunken emails. I'll take care of it on my end. Sorry for the offense he caused. ;)

Much excitement and enthusiasm for the XM, over here. Keep up the great work.

Edited by Jay Silverheels
  • Like 1

I was using the pisser in a bar one Friday night when I saw this scratched on the wall of the restroom, in front of me: "I f*cked your mother." Written beneath it, someone else wrote: "Go home Dad, you're drunk."

Yeah, it looks like Dad got a snootful again tonight, and started sending drunken emails. I'll take care of it on my end. Sorry for the offense he caused. ;)

Much excitement and enthusiasm for the XM, over here. Keep up the great work.

:rolling:

And yes the XM looks AWESOME Curt!:thumbsup:

This post personally goes to the a-hole who emailed me a few minutes ago calling me a liar and a crook, that I'm taking people's money and I'm not planning on producing anything and his main argument was "all you've shown are a few photo's of a piece of plastic, you don't even have any metal work or anything else done, you are a liar and have stolen people's money"

Wow - that's really unfortunate. I wish people like that would realize that this is a labour of love not profit. :-S <sigh> This sounds suspiciously like a certain jerk that was posting here a while ago ...

They look fantastic Curt! Thanks for sharing!

I've eaten all of the extra expenses on everything, this was supposed to be a break even project, but has turned into a costing me project

Very sorry to hear that. if it helps, a lot of us really appreciate your efforts.

Edited by DracIsBack

I will add my plaudits to Curt and all who have helped him with this. I appreciate and commend anyone who takes on any project for the betterment of the classic gaming community. Add me to the list of folks chomping at the bit to get this lovely in the mail.

Take care all and keep playing.

The petulance and impatience of some people is still astonishing to me. Whoever it was that complained and called Curt a liar has probably never undertaken a creative project of this magnitude, or indeed of any kind at all. He's probably never even thought about everything that goes into the making of a simple pencil, let alone a complex electronic device like the 7800XM. All of the people complaining that "we haven't seen any games!!!" probably haven't stopped to think about all the time and effort it takes to finish both the 7800XM and a library of complete and polished games to support it, not to mention the added challenges of coordinating the network of volunteers who are working so hard to have all of these projects ready at the same time.

These are some of the reasons why, in my own opinion, the "homebrew scene" was much more fun in its infancy, around the mid-1990s. Those of us who were in the classic gaming hobby back then can remember a time when developing new product for old and dead systems was such a novelty that fans of those systems were delighted to see anything new. They didn't go around sending rude e-mails and demanding rigid timetables and unrealistic price points, because it was generally understood that such projects were undertaken as labors of love and in the spare time of those who were creating them. Now, after so many of these projects have been completed, people have come to expect them, and have come to think of them as more of a business than a hobby.

For these people, seeing someone create something and share it with their fellow hobbyists isn't good enough anymore: now it has to come with retail-quality packaging, top-tier technical support, and at a price comparable to that of a cheap mass-produced toy that one might find on a shelf at Wal-Mart. Even with all that, the attitude toward these projects is no longer one of gratitude and appreciation, but one of entitlement: "I deserve to have it, and you deserve to give it to me, in exactly the way and at exactly the price I demand." I don't know exactly when this started, but perhaps the fact that Atari systems in particular have become popular and "retro-cool" even among the general population has had something to do with it. It's made the hobby larger, but it's also attracted an undesirable element, one without the level of appreciation of more serious enthusiasts.

I apologize if I'm doing anyone an injustice, and I don't intend to paint with too broad a brush. What I've said does not apply to everybody in the hobby: those fans of the Mattel Aquarius who have followed my Aquaricart project for nearly a year now, for example, have been absolutely wonderful, even though that project has also dragged on much longer than originally anticipated. It's rare to see that kind of positive energy around the Atari systems, or any of the other more "popular" classic platforms, anymore. The audience for the Aquaricart is surely much smaller than that of the 7800XM, but the enthusiasm and encouragement of that audience has inspired me to make the final product better than any of us could have imagined possible when I started. Attitudes like that of Curt's accusing correspondent, however, will only serve to discourage future projects of this kind.

I +1'd you on this, but I, personally would disagree with this part of the statement. I think that 90-95% of the forum goers here for the 7800 and specifically the XM have been patient, encouraging, and all around positive about this. I think that when you do indeed have a larger audience, then even 1% of dissentment becomes fairly noticable. But I think that we would be doing a diservice to make this out to be more than the exception that (I believ) it is.

Anyway, looking good Curt!

Just received notification that AX received the 25 plastics for his special silver edition project, also here is another nice shot if anyone wants to see a more detailed look....

post-23-0-90136600-1301354862_thumb.jpg

Do you think you'll get any gaming press coverage?

Are you going to even bother with trying to contact G4 about a spot on X-Play or AOTS?

p.s. And what about "Atari" itself? Have "they" said anything about the project?

Edited by Lynxpro

Thinking about it, especially in terms of a mass-market product, it's probably actually had more care taken in its' design polish and is of better fabrication quality than many corporate entities themselves would have typically push for at the time (Big 80's)) , including Atari. ;) Don't mean that as a dig at designers, but oftentimes corporate decisions occur in favor of shaving pennies off of designs, often at the expense of the fine details.

Edited by AtariNerd

I've eaten all of the extra expenses on everything, this was supposed to be a break even project, but has turned into a costing me project,

Amazing stuff Curt :thumbsup:

For future, you should always factor in 40% cost overruns on these "never done before" type projects, because that's typically what the overruns end up being ;)