IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

Hmmm, received an email with a revised posiible ship date for middish September. Looks like the latest hardware revisions might have gone "gold". :D

That's interesting -- I pre-ordered one and didn't get such an email. Anyone else?

I did get an email and sent back a hearty Thank You!

I think by this point, they are probably being assembled by hand to curtail cost over-runs. If that is an accurate ship date, it is likely to be for the first run, with subsequent shipments occuring over the course of a couple of months or so. They'll all be shipped out soonish.

Tell ya what..if I get one of the first few batches, I promise to hold off of opening my box, until most of the orders are shipped and I finally can't stand it any more! ;)

I prolly mentioned why I was waiting for the XM in terms of writing an OS or a BASIC for it... maybe I can better explain by comparing my idea to "a 7800-based Family BASIC style of system, with possible floppy drive support".

Family BASIC was an addon for the Famicom and came with a keyboard and tape drive. There's apparently support for keyboards and external storage on the XM via a yet-undefineed XEGS-like port for the former, and an XL-like SIO port for the latter - and that's basically the idea I had. I don't explain myself well.

The keyboard port is electrically compatible with the XEGS keyboard port, so it'll give everyone a start at experimenting, hooking up an XEGS keyboard to it and writing code to develop more complex games with keyboard input, perhaps a development console, terminal, wordprocessor, etc... it'll be up to what people want to try to develop.

• Like 3

I'm truly excited, Mr. Vendel! This is really a huge leap forward. May I ask, the 7800 Keyboard module that you have been working on (not the original GCC keyboard but yours) was that intended to plug into the keyboard port on the 7800 XM or will that plug into one of the 7800 controller ports like the original GCC version? Just curious. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

will the xm work on any 7800. was there a different model of the 7800 that the xm wont work on?

The XM works on PAL and NTSC consoles.

and when is the xm coming out?

The most up to date information is on the official status page here :-

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/expansion/

Lord John Whorfin: Where are we going?

The Red Lectroids: Planet Ten!

Lord John Whorfin: When?

The Red Lectroids: Real soon!

;)

The keyboard port is electrically compatible with the XEGS keyboard port, so it'll give everyone a start at experimenting, hooking up an XEGS keyboard to it and writing code to develop more complex games with keyboard input, perhaps a development console, terminal, wordprocessor, etc... it'll be up to what people want to try to develop.

I wonder with the right software if you could use the 5200 controller or the 5200 trackball since it uses the same port as the XEGS keyboard.

Allan

The keyboard port, like the XEGS keyboard port is only wired into the keyboard inputs and keyboard row select lines of the Pokey, so its only going to support a keyboard like device. There are no pot inputs through the keyboard port, now the lines are all there from the Pokey and there is a socket with connection points for you to drop in a PIA into the design, so it boils down to people adding in extra lines, the extra IC and doing some coding, a lot could be done if you're up for the challenge, the whole point of this device is for it to be an expansion module, so how much you expand with it, is really going to be up to you.

Curt

• Like 6

Wait... what kind of keyboard adapter? Could we possibly run say an X-arcade through it as a controller alternative if a game were programmed to recognize it? The old keyboard connector versions, not the usb is just a keyboard with arcade buttons after all. Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question. I just thought how cool it could be for a bios upgrade to allow an x-arcade to be used as the defacto 7800 controller. Robotron on X-arcade sticks would be sweet. Yeah I know emulation... whatever. Nothing beats playing on the real machine; except doing that on my diy X-arcade with the Donkey Kong art theme and transluscent buttons!