IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

If XM was an official 1984 Atari product, it would have teams of employees in six different departments working to make this happen. It is amazing what Curt and his small team of contributors are pulling off, here.

Crazy cool.

If it were the Tramiel Atari, it would have been the same number of people and the metal nameplate would have been black and white.

• Like 2

Great video, Curt. Many thanks. All of the people who are denying the project are fools. It's obviously something beyond anyone's imagination to put together this kind of effort, from just a few hard working folks. It's amazing how people are so petty to harp on Curt and company, having no idea what kind of production this actually is. Ever work with plastic molds? Ever program microchips? Ever have to finagle finances with plastic companies with no financial backing? It will take time. We are so incredibly lucky here at AA to have someone bringing us new technology to an outdated system with such a small following.

Thanks Curt, and thanks for the updates. I bet you will get some new orders just from showing that progress video.

Thursday83

• Like 2

No - its a compatibility issue directly with the multicart and the XM. I'm not having a problem with my 2600 multicart you can see in some of the images on sitting on the desk near the 7800.... my own 2600 multicart is not having problems, so its something to do with the additional address lines, plus making sure that the onboard XM HSC shuts off when it see's the CC2 plugged in, also the onboard pokey will neeed to shut off as well, but that's gonna be a minor conflict because the onboard pokey will always either have to shut off when it see's the CC2 or it stays on and you have to manually go into the BIOS and shut it off only if your CC2 has a pokey installed in it. I don't know how many people actually installed a pokey into their CC2's I haven't had any problems with Berzerk on my 7800 - I'm testing with a 1984 version with the side expansion port on it, seems the most compatible - Robot Tank, and Space Shuttle both work on it, and both work with the XM as well.

Does not the XM Pokey scheme emulate the XBoard Pokey scheme (where it is at a lower address and only enabled if turned on by writing to some location)? The CC2 would only enable it where Ballblazer/Commando would expect to see it and only if a bank switching scheme turns it on (although it is anybody's guess how CC2 has stuff mapped at startup before running a game). Is detection of stuff done in hardware or software (is there ROM that runs at startup in the XM?)

Edited by kenfused

No - its a compatibility issue directly with the multicart and the XM. I'm not having a problem with my 2600 multicart you can see in some of the images on sitting on the desk near the 7800.... my own 2600 multicart is not having problems, so its something to do with the additional address lines, plus making sure that the onboard XM HSC shuts off when it see's the CC2 plugged in, also the onboard pokey will neeed to shut off as well, but that's gonna be a minor conflict because the onboard pokey will always either have to shut off when it see's the CC2 or it stays on and you have to manually go into the BIOS and shut it off only if your CC2 has a pokey installed in it. I don't know how many people actually installed a pokey into their CC2's I haven't had any problems with Berzerk on my 7800 - I'm testing with a 1984 version with the side expansion port on it, seems the most compatible - Robot Tank, and Space Shuttle both work on it, and both work with the XM as well.

Does not the XM Pokey scheme emulate the XBoard Pokey scheme (where it is at a lower address and only enabled if turned on by writing to some location)? The CC2 would only enable it where Ballblazer/Commando would expect to see it and only if a bank switching scheme turns it on (although it is anybody's guess how CC2 has stuff mapped at startup before running a game). Is detection of stuff done in hardware or software (is there ROM that runs at startup in the XM?)

It looks like it may be an A14/A15 issue, Groovy pointed something out to the other night (I'm really burnt out, he's doing the onboard BIOS that detects and controls much of the modules smart abilities) We just exchanged a bit today and he's working on a few things, so hopefully we can get through these hurdles, I also pulled the HSC rom/ram high and I'm seeing better results, so it may be some contention there as well. I need to talk with btari and get more specifics on the H2 to make sure the XM plays nicely with it as well.

It looks like it may be an A14/A15 issue, Groovy pointed something out to the other night (I'm really burnt out, he's doing the onboard BIOS that detects and controls much of the modules smart abilities) We just exchanged a bit today and he's working on a few things, so hopefully we can get through these hurdles, I also pulled the HSC rom/ram high and I'm seeing better results, so it may be some contention there as well. I need to talk with btari and get more specifics on the H2 to make sure the XM plays nicely with it as well.

Which adresses does the XM use for it's control registers? The CC2 uses quite a lot of the non-cartridge space for it's registers. I'm not sure which of them are active on power-up, but there might be some potential conflicts. According to Chad Schell's CC2 tech docs it uses some addresses between $500-$57f for the POKEY and memory control, some addresses between $600-6ff for accessing the PSD and FPGA and the area between $800-$fff to store the CC2 settings in battery backed RAM. Also during the menu display the font data is mapped into $3800-$3fff. At least the last one would overlap with the HSC ROM, if it was enabled by the XM.

If I win the lottery today, I'm going to donate $100,000 to Legacy to thank them and help complete the project and bring back the white 7800 project. If I win. Today. Just sayin' that if I could afford it, I'd put you into business permanently working on fun things like this one. :-D

• Like 1