IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

There appears to be close to 10 games that should be released very quickly after the XM's ship and I think once the coders settle in with the XMs quite a lot more will come out soon after... So looks like a lot of full Christmas stockings this year ;-)

Is this an iron clad guarantee it will be shipped in time for Christmas? :grin:

Yes !!!

There appears to be close to 10 games that should be released very quickly after the XM's ship and I think once the coders settle in with the XMs quite a lot more will come out soon after... So looks like a lot of full Christmas stockings this year ;-)

• Like 13

Yes !!!

I wish I could click the like button 100+ times for that Curt! I'm glad to hear everything is moving along. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

New Update Posted.... Eye Candy and more importantly - Ear Candy.... Will post up more shortly. Big thanks go to Perry and CPUWIZ for helping out with the needed XM tweaked Code and 48K boards to allow Mark and I to test out Pokey Enhanced/High Score Enhanced games on the XM hardware. Sooooooo nice to finally hear Pac Man sounding properly on the 7800 !!!

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/expansion/

• Like 7

There won't be any pack in with it. Mark and I thought for a bit about embedding a game into the BIOS, but it could end up causing some compatibility issues, so the BIOS is only going to include needed tests/settings in its menu and the rest is all its housekeeping and management code. I have the system board marked "Marks Magic BIOS" because honestly, the hardware is 2 dimensional, what's really given this system depth and intelligence is the incredible BIOS Mark has been developing and tweaking.

Curt

Will any games come with the XM or will you have buy them separately? I look forward to this release... I want to make games for this thing. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Curt you have convinced me to buy one of these. I just need to put the money back for it now. The pokey enhancement is almost reason enough, but that high score capability is freakin great to see. Wow that thing looks awesome.

edit: So let me get this right, that expansion module actually will change the audio of some games? That's awesome, I don't understand it but wow that is the best upgrade imaginable for 7800 games!!

edit: So let me get this right, that expansion module actually will change the audio of some games? That's awesome, I don't understand it but wow that is the best upgrade imaginable for 7800 games!!

In general only if those games have been updated by reverse engineering them and adding POKEY or YM2161 audio manually. The only exceptions are the homebrews Froggie and Beefdrop which should both enable the POKEY in XM (XM was designed that way ;)).

In general only if those games have been updated by reverse engineering them and adding POKEY or YM2161 audio manually. The only exceptions are the homebrews Froggie and Beefdrop which should both enable the POKEY in XM (XM was designed that way ;)).

well that's good to hear considering just yesterday I ordered Beef Drop VE from the AA store.

Yes !!!

Kewl - and according to your www these things haven't sold out so there's still room to jump on the bandwagon?

Ordered my XM a few weeks ago.

I see it has been asked & answered, but the atariAge Beef Drop VE sold here without the pokey chip will use the pokey chip in the XM, or do I need to buy a special version for the XM? ...and what's VE stand for, anyway?

Ordered my XM a few weeks ago.

I see it has been asked & answered, but the atariAge Beef Drop VE sold here without the pokey chip will use the pokey chip in the XM, or do I need to buy a special version for the XM? ...and what's VE stand for, anyway?

VE stands for Value Edition or something to that effect as it lacks the Pokey chip making it cheaper.

Beef Drop (VE) was coded to detect an XBoard pokey and the XM emulates how the XBoard Pokey works.

Technically the only code difference between VE and non-VE is the title screen. Hardware-wise the VE version lacks the onboard pokey chip. All versions of Beef Drop code will look for onboard Pokey (non VE version, ballblazer type cart board) first, and Xboard/XM Pokey second, and falls back to TIA sound third. If there is both an onboard pokey and an Xboard/XM pokey second both will actually be written to but XBoard/XM pokey will be turned off so it doesn't produce sound and only the onboard Pokey will produce sound (assuming the XM works like the XBoard in that respect).

Maybe too much information, but yes, Beef Drop VE should detect and use the Pokey in the XM.

--Ken

Edited by kenfused

Some great news.... Thanks to Perry and Bob, I've been able to test Pokey Pac Man, Moon Cresta, Pac Man 320, Super Circus Atariage, Crazybrix and working on testing Ms Pac 320, Meteor Shower (which originally gave me some problems) and going back to test Pokey Kong...

Mark has a huge batch of XM games which he's put demo video's up....

So we are seeing a HUGE launch line-up of XM enhanced games that will all be working for the release of the XM, so those who've been wondering "if" any XM games would be available, there is going to be a very large launch line up!

Curt

• Like 8