IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

So we are seeing a HUGE launch line-up of XM enhanced games that will all be working for the release of the XM, so those who've been wondering "if" any XM games would be available, there is going to be a very large launch line up!

Sounds like there'll be more XM enhanced/required games at launch than the 3DS had 3DS games. lol :D

• Like 1

1) is the HSC at a different software address compared with the old HSC I already have?

They are at the same address. If the XM BIOS detects a HSC pass through cart plugged into the top slot it displays an error message. If it detects a multi-cart it disables its own built in HSC because it doesn't know what you'll choose to play. If you are mad enough to plug an XM into an XM it detects that too.

2) Same question, but about POKEY software address for "special hardware" carts vs. XM.

XM POKEY does not conflict with CC2, Ballblazer or Commando POKEY addresses. It is compatible with the XBOARD games BeefDrop and Froggie.

1) is the HSC at a different software address compared with the old HSC I already have?

They are at the same address. If the XM BIOS detects a HSC pass through cart plugged into the top slot it displays an error message. If it detects a multi-cart it disables its own built in HSC because it doesn't know what you'll choose to play. If you are mad enough to plug an XM into an XM it detects that too.

2) Same question, but about POKEY software address for "special hardware" carts vs. XM.

XM POKEY does not conflict with CC2, Ballblazer or Commando POKEY addresses. It is compatible with the XBOARD games BeefDrop and Froggie.

Ok, this is good to hear.

So, in theory, there is no software change needed for say, newly-written software to be "XM compatible" with respect to the POKEY and the HSC, right?

In short, I'm trying to confirm that developers only need to make the software "one way".

So, if I wrote a game that used HSC, I'd have the option to use my old HSC, or to use the XM without code changes.

And, if I had a game that used POKEY, I wouldn't have to compile 2 different versions, one for XM, and one for "hardware that supported POKEY", correct?

That was something rattling around in my brain today; thought I'd ask the experts. :)

-John

So, in theory, there is no software change needed for say, newly-written software to be "XM compatible" with respect to the POKEY and the HSC, right?

Not quite. POKEY and HSC are enabled and disabled from the main control register in the XM. The HSC will be enabled by default when a 7800 game is detected and started in NTSC mode (unless its a known multi-cart). For PAL operation, HSC is always disabled unless you override it manually. The reason HSC is disabled in PAL is because the legacy PAL games (that support HSC in NTSC format) crashed when a HSC was detected in the system from the tests I did a while ago. I may get around to making a PAL HSC BIOS and retesting them (it all depends on time). I'd rather the legacy PAL games didn't crash when plugged into the XM.

I'm gathering the materials for the XM technical guide so that'll be available shortly after the XM ships.

Bob's Pac 320 and Ms Pac 320 are both working perfect with the XM for Pokey/HSC....

Still having problems with Perry's Pokey Kong, trying to figure out why its not working with the XM, his Pokey Pacman is working fine and Pokey Kong works fine with the XM, but then what's the point - No Pokey.

Curt

"Awaiting final code for 1 Minute Countdown"

"Code 7 8 0 Destruct 0"

Then the power pak overheats and blows out ;-)

In my personal dreamworld, an XM plugged into an XM results in a countdown to destruction on the screen, a la Star Trek III.

I haven't seen that movie in quite some time....I REALLY hope that quote gets into the current book I'm reading, 'Ready Player One'. It would completely fit in context.

Sorry, off topic I know, but when we all need some TV-free time from playing XM next month (you know, that 30 minutes or so out of the day :) ) I highly recommend this book. I haven't finished it yet, but it is definitely a read that I think any AtariAger would enjoy immensely.

Things are looking good for me. My plan is to pre-order this thing by next weekend as long as nothing major pops up like vehicle issues. Just wanted to make sure that the following website is the proper place to order? http://www.legacyeng...bt6fctcgmkusv93

Also, is this unit going to run off the power of the 7800, or is it going to require it's own psu? Just wondering, it has no effect on my purchasing decision, although if it runs off the existing 7800 power, should we be concerned with our psu's being overworked and maybe going bad?

Yes that is the correct site to order from.

It uses the 7800 psu, well, it takes its power from the 7800 cart port.

7800 psu should be more than sufficient, modern electronics are very efficient, I bet there is hardly any extra load

• Like 2

We are going to make it, shaking out some final issues, all of the major ones are behind us, just need to make some changes to the audio circuit for the summation of the pokey and yamaha in the console and dealing with carts that have onboard pokey, seems our summation circuit is over powering ballblazer and other pokey carts and I'd be concerned it may interfere with xboards as well.

We have a few stubborn carts - mean 18, motopsycho and impossible mission that aren't playing well with xm at all.

All 2600/7800 homebrews all play well with the xm

The 7800 homebrewers have made adjustments to make sure their new games can use pokey and we are making sure they are all working well.

Cuttlecart 2 and croc carts are working great now, haven't tested harmony and I will make sure Btari gets an xm so he can test to make sure his H2 and XM work well together.

Just waiting for word back from Mark to see if he's publicly demo'd the super secret adding test yet so I can post the video

Curt

Edited by Curt Vendel
  • Like 5

Just waiting for word back from Mark to see if he's publicly demo'd the super secret adding test yet so I can post the video

Curt

aaaah, spill the beans, the show is finished and the weekend of suspense is killing me

• Like 1

All right... Mark is back and a lot of people got to see the demo at ejagfest...

There is a test built into the latest bios that tests an xegs keyboard plugged into the xm.

Also, while just a thought, Mark is considering allowing players to enter your high score initials into a game via xegs keyboard

Basically, the keyboard is going to totally open up the doors to a whole new breed of games on the 7800 that will allow for even more imagination from coders and more fun for players.

Perhaps it's time for a Star Raiders type game on the 7800 to turn shields, com

• Like 4

All right... Mark is back and a lot of people got to see the demo at ejagfest...

Which was ... ????? :-D

Fricking excellent! Really makes me wish I hadn't sold mine a while back! I might have to scout about on eBay again! We did come up with a nickname for it, but I am under pain of death to keep it under wraps until its released!! :grin:

• Like 1

There is a test built into the latest bios that tests an xegs keyboard plugged into the xm.

Also, while just a thought, Mark is considering allowing players to enter your high score initials into a game via xegs keyboard

Basically, the keyboard is going to totally open up the doors to a whole new breed of games on the 7800 that will allow for even more imagination from coders and more fun for players.

Perhaps it's time for a Star Raiders type game on the 7800 to turn shields, com

Well there goes the price of XEGS consoles... :lol:

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1