IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

It's a bit harsh to tell people who simply aren't interested in the XM to "F off", and it's more than a little uncalled-for.

I really doubt that was the intention.

I agree. "Trolls and XM naysayers" are hardly "people who simply aren't interested in the XM."

It is more than a little disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Not as such. To be a naysayer, is, basically, to express a negative view. That can range from disinterest, to directly saying you hate it, to saying you don't care. Anything that's not praising, really. With how small the homebrew community is for the 7800, I would personally think it in poor taste to do anything to break it into pieces, or "us vs them" it in any way. But that's just me.

Hmmm... you know Curt has a way of making subtle statements with photos... :ponder:

Anyone noticed this pic with the new cartridge ports in the status page?

post-10599-0-29640500-1311287418_thumb.jpg

I wonder if that unpopulated 7800 console board is newly produced as well... :ponder:

I wonder if that unpopulated 7800 console board is newly produced as well... :ponder:

I suspect not. It would cost considerably more for a new one than one you could pick one up off eBay due to the fact that there are limited sources for MARIA, TIA, SALLY, RIOTs and 2K RAMs. Plus as Curt previously announced a few posts ago, he's not doing any more stuff direct to the hobby market.

I suspect not. It would cost considerably more for a new one than one you could pick one up off eBay due to the fact that there are limited sources for MARIA, TIA, SALLY, RIOTs and 2K RAMs. Plus as Curt previously announced a few posts ago, he's not doing any more stuff direct to the hobby market.

So no 7800 Keyboard :'(

I didn't follow the entire thread, so I missed Curt's post. Even if I'm not directly interested in the 7800, I check quite regularly the XM status page on LE website. I think it's incredible that such a product is being produced to support the hobby, and I'm amazed by the attention for the details in its development.

It's really sad to see such a bad attitude towards this project and while I hope that Curt will eventally change his mind about producing something for the hobby market, I can understand his reasons. :(

Edited by alex_79

JOE SAYS RELAX. Everybody needs to chill out. This is a HOBBY. These are video games from 30+ years ago and everybody has their panties in a wad crying like babies over an email. Mr. Vendel has done more for the legacy of Atari than ANYONE else out there. Where were YOU in 96 when Curt was DUMPSTER DIVING behind Borreagas to save our history? HUH? Where were YOU in 97 when Atari Vaporware & Prototypes page launched? Cut him some slack, let him do his thing, strap one on and wait patiently like a big boy. It's not like he's a theif and it's not like he doesnt have a family and other priorities in life.

Don't ruin this hobby. This is ATARI. Video games, hobbies, childhood, nostalgia. It's supposed to be FUN guys! Some of you really just need to calm down and get a life outside of these forums.

• Like 6

So no 7800 Keyboard :'(

I suggest you read through the entire thread (and maybe a couple of other XM related ones) and draw your own conclusions as to why he's taken that stance.

I well understand why and religiously follow all XM thread from the beginning of the project, but it's still disappointing.

It is tough doing projects like this. But this was supposed to be delivered back in November. So the disappointment is understandable. In hindsight, Curt should of been much further along in this project, before asking for money.

Is anyone in a position to help Curt cross the finish line? I think he needs some coaching.

I well understand why and religiously follow all XM thread from the beginning of the project, but it's still disappointing.

Unfortunately trolling, bitching and whining about the hardware and software developers for your retro gaming platform of choice is going to end in casualties (not pointing any fingers at you by the way). Nobody should take crap for doing stuff in their own free time. Its as simple as that.

• Like 6

It is tough doing projects like this. But this was supposed to be delivered back in November. So the disappointment is understandable. In hindsight, Curt should of been much further along in this project, before asking for money.

The XM pre-order was opened so Curt could fund the plastics. That's been the most expensive part of the project. Things haven't gone to plan along the way either (see the Legacy Engineer/Atari Museum XM page for a project time line). Its also a chicken and egg situation. Without the pre-order to cover the cost of the plastics there would be no XM and without the XM there would be nothing to pre-order. Given that its an unknown market for any retro project (you could sell one or you could sell hundreds) its understandable that a developer goes down the pre-order route. At one time it did say on the Legacy Engineer XM store page that the pre-order money was non refundable. The people who believed and wanted the XM to happen took a risk with their own money.

As Curt mentioned previously (a few pages ago) if you aren't happy with the current situation you are free to cancel.

• Like 3

I don't get what all the hubb-ubb is all about. This is a pre-order for very complicated hardware....not some repro cart. I can't even begin to fathom the amount of work (and money) this project is requiring. At the $100 price tag, I can't imagine that any profit is being made here, so folks just need to be patient and VERY happy that this is going to be made available to the hobby, by someone who is doing this project out of love for the hobby.

Thank you Curt.

• Like 3

JOE SAYS RELAX. Everybody needs to chill out. This is a HOBBY. These are video games from 30+ years ago and everybody has their panties in a wad crying like babies over an email. Mr. Vendel has done more for the legacy of Atari than ANYONE else out there. Where were YOU in 96 when Curt was DUMPSTER DIVING behind Borreagas to save our history? HUH? Where were YOU in 97 when Atari Vaporware & Prototypes page launched? Cut him some slack, let him do his thing, strap one on and wait patiently like a big boy. It's not like he's a theif and it's not like he doesnt have a family and other priorities in life.

Don't ruin this hobby. This is ATARI. Video games, hobbies, childhood, nostalgia. It's supposed to be FUN guys! Some of you really just need to calm down and get a life outside of these forums.

+1

+1

Thank you for the +1.

Curt has been exceptional since the very beginning. As have so many others. I'm tired of johnny-come-latelys ruining the hobby and not appreciating the hard work of those who made so much of this possible.

I believe Curt did say something about the port is there. If I understand correctly, there is the possibility of adapting the XEGS keyboard, in the same way as a PS/2 keyboard must be adapted for use with an AT or vice-versa, for use with the XM - and I have been planning around that possibility.

I believe Curt did say something about the port is there. If I understand correctly, there is the possibility of adapting the XEGS keyboard, in the same way as a PS/2 keyboard must be adapted for use with an AT or vice-versa, for use with the XM - and I have been planning around that possibility.

I think the DarthCloud meant this keyboard and not a XEGS adapted one :-

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800keyboard.html

The XM pre-order was opened so Curt could fund the plastics. That's been the most expensive part of the project. Things haven't gone to plan along the way either (see the Legacy Engineer/Atari Museum XM page for a project time line). Its also a chicken and egg situation. Without the pre-order to cover the cost of the plastics there would be no XM and without the XM there would be nothing to pre-order. Given that its an unknown market for any retro project (you could sell one or you could sell hundreds) its understandable that a developer goes down the pre-order route. At one time it did say on the Legacy Engineer XM store page that the pre-order money was non refundable. The people who believed and wanted the XM to happen took a risk with their own money.

As Curt mentioned previously (a few pages ago) if you aren't happy with the current situation you are free to cancel.

Anyone that has been into a technical field (engineering, sciences, etc) knows full well that things beyond your control can cause numerous delays and problems. This is a very complicated project, and I know complexity can exasperate the problems that contribute to delays. Most people don't understand that though, and expect to be entitled to it now (hence leading to moaning and bitching). So while, yes, if something were really on the line here (e.g., drug development to treat a major illness), it is expected that there is going to be some pressure to get things done even if there are problems.

But, this is just a hobby, so there is no need for that kind of pressure. It gets done when it gets done. Honestly, would anyone lives be any different if this were to come out 6 months ago, today, or at the end of the year? Not really. There are far more important things to worry about.

And I agree with Curt needing to take pre-orders. He needs something to cover the costs of getting started. Yes, that means a certain amount risk for those that pre-order. I don't know Curt personally, but I suspect at worst, he would have refunded everyone had he run into a granite wall with having only a plastic fork to break through. It sounds like people may be building that wall, which is unfortunate.

I say this even though I did not pre-order, mostly because my interest in the hobby has been fairly low for quite awhile. There was a time where I was more interested, even to the point of thinking about my own project, but I have too much on my plate with other things, and it seems like people that do this for a hobby seem to get dumped on by others just because something didn't go as expected. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

I wish the team the best in completing the project.

• Like 3

Thank you for the +1.

Curt has been exceptional since the very beginning. As have so many others. I'm tired of johnny-come-latelys ruining the hobby and not appreciating the hard work of those who made so much of this possible.

I've discovered Bb last year and started to make a game. Just understand that these kind of project is like signing for long adventure.

A lot of traps, a lot of despairs but also a dream that few will make true. And like every adventure, you don't know if you will succeed and THAT'S why we sign for it. I'm quite confident about Curt and wish him fair winds and following seas

Have you guys seen the movie Idiocracy? I feel like we're living in Idiocracy and poor Curt is Joe Bowers. It's true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRjmyJFzrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2CHJ8bRbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yQunhOaU0

I'm ready to buy another 100 XMs just to say thanks to Curt.