IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

Just a quick heads up to everyone, getting syncs back up with Mark this week and try to nail down any of the open changes we've discussed, if we are both in agreement on things then we are ready to run what should hopefully be the final pc board layout designs, so will post up further news soon. Happy New Year

• Like 5

Just a quick heads up to everyone, getting syncs back up with Mark this week and try to nail down any of the open changes we've discussed, if we are both in agreement on things then we are ready to run what should hopefully be the final pc board layout designs, so will post up further news soon. Happy New Year

Curt, can I ask you a quick question? I know it's a pretty stupid one [and as such it may have been asked already], but was I was wondering if you ever considered using 2 Pokey chips in the units when you were originally designing them? I can imagine doubling up the number of Pokeys to be used could've been a nightmare, not to mention there probably wasn't ever a plan by Atari Inc. to ever use multiple Pokeys in a 7800 cartridge and thus that wouldn't be fully within the spirit of the adapter, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless... :)

I know this is not the right place and I apologize for that but I just pledged 100.00 to your new book on Kick-starter. I only found the Kick-starter page after going to the latest Retro Computer Roundtable Podcast show notes, there is not even a link on your place holder page. I do hope you and Martin make your goal.

There is a thread down in the bowels of the boards on the related websites, publications, etc, a forum that isn't as frequented. To be honest, it had slipped my mind and I happened upon it while doing a random search for Atari-related projects on KickStarter. It was the only current project. :)

One last quick indulgent URL post from me, then I'll let it go. ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ataribook/atari-history-book-volume-1-beginnings-to-1984

There is a thread down in the bowels of the boards on the related websites, publications, etc, a forum that isn't as frequented. To be honest, it had slipped my mind and I happened upon it while doing a random search for Atari-related projects on KickStarter. It was the only current project. :)

One last quick indulgent URL post from me, then I'll let it go. ;)

http://www.kickstart...innings-to-1984

Thanks for the link. I didn't konw anything about this project until reading it here. I made a pledge I hope you guys make you goal. :)

Curt, can I ask you a quick question? I know it's a pretty stupid one [and as such it may have been asked already], but was I was wondering if you ever considered using 2 Pokey chips in the units when you were originally designing them?

We never discussed dual POKEY in the XM.

Hi guys... just taking care of some personal issues that sprung up on me this week, so I'm not in the office to get at the bench and work on the XM boards with Mark, thanks for everyone for the great support on the other project regarding the book. So let me get my self back on track here the rest of this week and weekend and I will be back working with Mark to try and tighten up anything else negating that we need to address, thanks everyone.

Curt

Nothing stupid at all about the question, and as Mark answered, we never even considered or discussed it since in the XM it really would'nt have had any practical application. Pokey is needed for the keyboard, and supplying most of what is needed for the SIO port, and then supplies enhanced audio/video into the 7800 just like a Pokey enhanced cartridge. Even the YM2151 with the 3012 which is Stereo is folded down into a mono single to go into the EXT AUD line of the cartridge connector into the 7800. While the plastics don't support it, at one point I flirted with the idea of putting in a pair of footprints for RCA connectors and if someone wanted to hack a separate stereo output off of the YM they could, but with the major changes in PLD and board designs, and with then needing to also add in test points and connections to split the mono signal back out to stereo, and the cutting of the plastics and such.... well, lets just say, the idea lasted about a day or two and I clicked on the RCA footprints and hit delete.

Just having Pokey alone in the XM is a quantum leap in audio improvement on the 7800, with the YM we could hopefully seeing audio perfect ports of Marble Madness, and other games to the 7800 as well, so while Stereo would be nice, we are getting a whole lot with what the XM is offering so far.

Curt

Curt, can I ask you a quick question? I know it's a pretty stupid one [and as such it may have been asked already], but was I was wondering if you ever considered using 2 Pokey chips in the units when you were originally designing them? I can imagine doubling up the number of Pokeys to be used could've been a nightmare, not to mention there probably wasn't ever a plan by Atari Inc. to ever use multiple Pokeys in a 7800 cartridge and thus that wouldn't be fully within the spirit of the adapter, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless... :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Until we move over to the next rev of the PCB there won't be much to report. Once the PCB and CPLD have been signed off the BIOS needs a ton of stuff removing from it (that has been added to test hardware during XM development). It also needs a XEGs keyboard test, a SIO loopback test and a much simpler and compact YM2151 audio test adding to it. The addition of those tests will make Curt's life much easier when it comes to testing the XM before shipping. It also means that XM owners can test their own units in the future to help diagnose problems.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So are we saying that the XM may may be shipping within the next month? Also can you tell me what model of keyboard to buy for it? I know some atari deal but which model number or whatever so i can try and locate one as I have found that they are kinda rare?

So are we saying that the XM may may be shipping within the next month?

Erm... I'm not sure why you think that.

Also can you tell me what model of keyboard to buy for it? I know some atari deal but which model number or whatever so i can try and locate one as I have found that they are kinda rare?

You'll need a XEGS keyboard for those games that support it.

Just by the sounds of things sounded like you guys were getting really close to getting done. "Bloody Hell...Just takin a Piss Mate!" :P In the meantime will get a xegs keyboard and be ready to buy some of your games that are XM enhanced. I like your Apple Snaffle game looks almost like a BoulderDash influenced type of game..

To me, XM enhanced means games will use certain features of the XM if its detected e.g. POKEY, YM2151 or the HSC. The games that I'm bringing out are XM mandatory which means that they won't work without it.

There is no urgency to buy a XEGS keyboard at the moment. My games will use it (if detected) to enter your initials on the high score chart and for password entry. However, you can also cycle through the character selection using a joystick.

• Like 1