IGNORED

New tool released: 16MB Copier 0.1

Marius

Hi.

Today a lot of people use 16MB Partitions on their Atari's ... some even 32MB on Sparta Dos X, but ok, I don't have SDX... so this tool is about 16MB partitions)

Sometimes you might want to copy a complete partition. File by File is SLOW. But a 16MB Sector Copier? Yes... that is what you need.

I already used one (secopy16) but I hated that interface. It did not show how far it was in the process, and I had some other issues with it too.

So here is my 16MB Copy 0.1 tool!

It is new... but works great (so far!)

I hope you will give it a try.

Please do not try this on your very important partitions

I think this program is safe, but you'll never know. I'm not responsible for any damage :D

I built some extra safety in. After a copy, or after an abort, the 'dangerous' routines are wiped out memory. So you don't have to reboot or reset your atari after use.

I hope you like it, and PLEASE give me some feedback.

Greetz

Marius

p.s. this ATR boots auto, but you can copy the COPY16.COM file to your partition too if you like.

I'll give this a go. I'm guessing it shouldn't be used on SDX 512byte sectors then?

EDIT: Yes it is clearly spelt out in the program it copies DD sectors. Nice tool icon_smile.gif

Yes this is a very nice tool... Good on MyDos and SpartaDos.. Too bad it is not Density aware.. for 128 bps and Sector wise for smaller Partitions or disks. I did copy a 8MB atr to a 16MB Partition and then ran cleanup to fix the sector count..

I might build in this... The problem is that i also wrote this for myide. Myide does not know (yet) percomm commands. I only could create a manual input in stead of auto detect.

I will think it over! Thanks for your feedback!

If you make a version which handles 512 byte sectors, it would be a nice utility for the SDX MyIDE driver (as long as you use the SDX LSIO vector when SDX is detected). Drac030's HDSC is pretty fast, mind you.

If you make a version which handles 512 byte sectors, it would be a nice utility for the SDX MyIDE driver (as long as you use the SDX LSIO vector when SDX is detected). Drac030's HDSC is pretty fast, mind you.

Hi.

Interesting idea. Spookt also wrote about SDX support earlier in this thread. Unfortunately I don't have it, and I'm not familiar with the programming rules for SDX.

When I got enough documentation about SDX -and- SDX is compatible with Atari800Mac, I could reconsider it.

But first I have to do other things for this tool ...

Thanks for feedback!

Marius

Hi.

Interesting idea. Spookt also wrote about SDX support earlier in this thread. Unfortunately I don't have it, and I'm not familiar with the programming rules for SDX.

When I got enough documentation about SDX -and- SDX is compatible with Atari800Mac, I could reconsider it.

But first I have to do other things for this tool ...

Thanks for feedback!

Marius

Well for the 1st point I'm looking too so I'll happily share what I find.

On the 2nd, SpartaDOS X is compatible with Atari800MacX I use it there all the time. Load the attached image as a cartridge and when prompted for type choose "SpartaDOS X 128Kb Cartridge" and the emulator will boot SDX

SDX442_SDX128.ROM.zip

Cheers

Paul

Not to be picky, but this is the emulator which has to be compatible, not the other way around. Right? :P

Wehehe you are 100% right.

But ehm... is the ATR format support 32MB images?

Greetz

M.

No, unfortunately there is only support for 128 or 256 byte sectors at the moment so max is 16Mb.

Edit: I sent the author a message asking if it was possible so lets wait and see.

Edited by spookt

There are 32 MB ATRs, Aspeqt supports them. Just set the sector size field to $0200 and calculate the size (in "paragraphs) accordingly. The sectors 1-3 have full size (512 bytes each) as well.

Does this mean that SDX (or other DOSes) uses the full 512 bytes of the first three sectors? And if so, does it also apply to 256 byte/sector harddisk images?

Then there are two forms of ATR images in regard to the first three sectors. 256 bytes/sector images with the first three sectors 128 byte for floppy disk images. And 256 or 512 bytes/sector images with all sectors the full size for harddisk (non standard floppy sizes) images?

It seems software working with ATR files should always take into account that the first three sectors could be either 128 bytes or the full size.

Robert

Does this mean that SDX (or other DOSes) uses the full 512 bytes of the first three sectors?

I don't know any DOS for Atari, except SDX, which can build and use a filesystem on a disk with 512-byte sectors. And on SDX: yes, the "first three sectors" are assumed to be full size. I am using quotes, because only the first sector is somehow special of these three: sectors 2 and 3 is the normal data area already.

And if so, does it also apply to 256 byte/sector harddisk images?

No. Although it could (apply) because hard disks (and PBI floppy disks) are able to access full size sectors.

It seems software working with ATR files should always take into account that the first three sectors could be either 128 bytes or the full size.

I'd get it the other way: all ATR images have first three sectors of full size except those with 256 bytes per sector.

Hi Folks

I just thought I'd let you know. I have had a reply from Mark the author of Atari800MacX and he's told me that he needs to do a maintenance release of the emulator and will see if he can implement 512 byte sector support when he does. He also pointed out that he's a bit short of free time at the moment so it might take a while.

Hi Folks

I just thought I'd let you know. I have had a reply from Mark the author of Atari800MacX and he's told me that he needs to do a maintenance release of the emulator and will see if he can implement 512 byte sector support when he does. He also pointed out that he's a bit short of free time at the moment so it might take a while.

Wow!

That is nice!

I'm glad you did that. When it is finished in the Emulator (and it works) I'll take a look at it, and then I'll try to upgrade my tool!

Thanks again Spookt!

Marius

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

yes and no. The bugs are solved, but it has some flaws when you use it with the FLASH based MyIDE OS. that's why I hesitated if I should release it or not.

The program itself is 100% ok and functional. You'd better get yourself a MyIDE eprom in your atari first.

But if you insist, I could post you the fixed version.