IGNORED

A8 port of 'Continuity'

Irgendwer

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a life/tutorial development?

• Yes, please start a thread and the tutorial coding (rough style)
    • Yes, please start a thread and the tutorial coding (polished style)
    • Yes, do the port (polished), but I'm not interested in the tutorial
    • No, please do something cooler without bothering me
    • I don't care

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As mentioned in an other thread, a port of the flash game 'Continuity' (http://www.continuitygame.com/) is on my project list (7th position).

Do you like to see this developed in the near future, 'life' here in the forum with source-code and explanations?

* Development (if desired) may take long, don't expect weekly updates.

* Coding language is CC65/CA65.

* Rough style would mean that the game is playable but may flicker, no music, no sophisticated title, no high-score table etc.

* The polished version would cover all of the aspects above, but could take very long.

Please vote!

Edited by Irgendwer

Hi

I think it would be awesome to do either of the 'tutorial' options. I voted for polished + tutorial because I would like to see the best possible version produced, but any coding tutorial would be very useful to me.

I would like to say a big thank you in advance if you decided to go ahead and spend time on this.

OK, played a few like that - they're pretty fun.

Whole lot of physics calculations going on there. But with games like that, the frame rate isn't critical.

I reckon there's tons of casual Flash games out there that have been overlooked as candidates to do on older systems.

OK, played a few like that - they're pretty fun.

Whole lot of physics calculations going on there. But with games like that, the frame rate isn't critical.

I reckon there's tons of casual Flash games out there that have been overlooked as candidates to do on older systems.

Yes, I thought the rag doll type physics might be an issue, I reckon that Portal 2D would be brill and I can't see a thing that makes it not do-able, well in a coders hands :)

Portal - easy...ish The one thing I find might be a problem is that the game itself probably wouldn't have much replay value.

That could be overcome with a level editor facility. Also, I didn't play all that far into it, so maybe there's more to the game mechanics than I saw.

Portal - easy...ish The one thing I find might be a problem is that the game itself probably wouldn't have much replay value.

That could be overcome with a level editor facility. Also, I didn't play all that far into it, so maybe there's more to the game mechanics than I saw.

From memory I think there are fans but nothing overly technical.

I'd just about consider it or that 2D Portal game myself.

I would have no problem if you like to do it. I could gladly remove one entry of my list... :cool:

Edit: The high-score feature I may would add, captures the needed time per level. Just to have some replay value.

Edited by Irgendwer

* Development (if desired) may take long, don't expect weekly updates.

* Coding language is CC65/CA65.

* Rough style would mean that the game is playable but may flicker, no music, no sophisticated title, no high-score table etc.

* The polished version would cover all of the aspects above, but could take very long.

I voted for tutorial without polish because you can always add the polish later (and that can be part of the tutorial). Also, if that is already the 7th item in your list, the faster the better :D.

Fast prototyping is a good idea, because you are more motivated with something already working and playable. You can get the first level and the engine working and then the people here can add all the levels and some new ones.

Seems good to use also gr.8 with some players for the door and the key.

Why flicker?. Also, it sounds like you want to do the zoom effect?

I reckon it'd be good.

I'd just about consider it or that 2D Portal game myself.

I remember that you talked about this before, but it was this?

http://cymonsgames.com/asciiportal/

or this?

http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/

I believe that the mechanics can get complicated, with some physics and objects included in the higher levels, but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone think an angry birds game would be possible?

Not sure the finer physics could be done?

Hmmm it sounds like a good technical demo to try.. some basic lines and joints and some simple geometrical objects physics.. :)

I suppose you can precalculate some reactions or hard code some animations and specific reactions.

For anyone looking for good and "modern-retro" ideas, the finalists of the IGF 2011 were already announced. Take a look at most of the 2d entries:

http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

and some others for inspiration:

http://www.chimegame.com/

http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

http://teknopants.com/games/shootfirst/

http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=NightSky

Regards.

I liked how the game is completely discoverable, with only minor consequences. Very "Adventure" like, and look at that key! Anyway, lots of subtle tricks, and the interaction in the macro mode is just brilliant. Music context change helps a lot too. IMHO, those subtle things add a lot, and are where the challenge is in this title for Atari 8 bit.

Played through 10 levels or so. A few of those were challenging in some unexpected ways. Didn't see any randomness. Maybe it places some things in arbitrary places. Replay value might be low because of that, but then again, it's just fun the way it is.

Just played continuity ... awesome game and I love the music. That music has to stay! Very synthpoppy. Thought I'd throw some ideas out there ...

Was thinking, Graphics 8 for the action screens, but two possibilities for the tile sliding stage:

#1. Use a low res mode like Graphics 3 or Graphics 4 to show the tiles for each screen

#2. Use Graphics 0, but have redefined characters to show the screen reduction.

Option #2 depends on how many tiles you will eventually have in the tile sliding stage (haven't played all the way to the end yet) ... if it gets too high, then go with option 1 but maybe use Graphics 4, or 6. The idea being, these modes only require 2 colors (plus use PM's to indicate the doors and keys and your player) so it could perhaps save on RAM.

It could also be that you can use Graphics 0 for the main action screens instead of 8? It doesn't look like the platforms are going to be that hard to design, you may be able to fit it all in 128 characters. And again, it would save on RAM.

In the other thread....

An example for a good 2D-game without long thinking about PMGs, CPU time or other resources?

http://www.continuitygame.com/

This is on my list. The so-called 'useless' different chunky A8-resolutions, would come very handy here...

I've read this several times and came to the very conclusion that your idea about an A8 port seems useless.

I can see this game hardly been adapted at a 40x25 resolution.

I guess you even dare to use PM movement for this poor little one guy?

If my thoughts are correct here..... well ..... the next please ... icon_wink.gif

Well. To go any near to the "evolution" of Project-M, this "game port" would need something revolutionary...

All in hires, allows a fair shape on the protagonist and the fluent hires movement will make it more serious

The Key could be overlayed by a golden player, and the Door could be overlayed by a red player.

The "Puzzle" screen could be using interlace, to show all needed screens at the right size.

At least hires was recommended.

Edited by emkay

Using lores, or even some PMGs in narrow-mode could have merits.

The morph/transform between fullscreen and the puzzle-shift part could be done much like the game does it.

But yes, hires could give the advantage of a much better looking animated player. Character mode would probably work just as well, so doing the morph effect could be accomplished relatively easily as well.

Flicker may be the wrong word, but I if you abstain from double buffering or VBI updates, the screen construction is visible.

In the 'rough' mode, I would try to create a CC65 build only, without (or very rare) use of assembler (CA65).

The movement screen would be made in GR. 4, the overview screen (depending on the # of sub-screens) in GR. 6 or 8.

The switching establishes the (quite poor ;) ) zoom effect.

During switching memory needs no reorganization thanks to LMSs in every DL line.

Keys and door are PMGs.

Well. To go any near to the "evolution" of Project-M, this "game port" would need something revolutionary...

You don't get, don't you?

Some games don't need a glamorous presentation to make fun. The strength of 'Continuity' is the principle of the game. It seems that several members here had already fun with the game - independent of the dry presentation.

A lot of people have fun with card games, something you can rebuild with the internal character set in GR.0 - what's wrong with it?

As NRV wrote he doesn't plan to reconstruct 'Wolf 3D' I answered 'that sounds good' - because, to be honest, I personally find Wolf 3D relatively boring when you have a huge selection of better titles covering the same principle on other machines.

Yes, I would say my other devices for entertainment are some kind of competitors for the A8.

So it is good, that we have titles, that are strong by playability means. Independent from my PC and Console, I like 'Kennedy Approach', 'Seven Cities of Gold' or 'His Dark Majesty' on the A8 and there is no matching competitor on the other devices I would prefer.

'Continuity' is also such a candidate, like it was ECKN/Znax for me.

Flicker may be the wrong word, but I if you abstain from double buffering or VBI updates, the screen construction is visible.

In the 'rough' mode, I would try to create a CC65 build only, without (or very rare) use of assembler (CA65).

The movement screen would be made in GR. 4, the overview screen (depending on the # of sub-screens) in GR. 6 or 8.

The switching establishes the (quite poor icon_wink.gif ) zoom effect.

During switching memory needs no reorganization thanks to LMSs in every DL line.

Keys and door are PMGs.

Tearing.

You don't get, don't you?

Some games don't need a glamorous presentation to make fun. The strength of 'Continuity' is the principle of the game. It seems that several members here had already fun with the game - independent of the dry presentation.

???

The presentation is nice and fluent. The Musik enhances the game well.

A lot of people have fun with card games, something you can rebuild with the internal character set in GR.0 - what's wrong with it?

We have more than enough of those. There is no need for a new "gr.0 card game".

I'd like to see you playing Space Harrier on the A8 in Gr.3 resolution..... or even gr. 0 charmode.

It's the action on the screen that makes those games interesting.