IGNORED

Odd HEAVY 6er

the.golden.ax

Okay so I bought a H6er because it had a serial in the 5000's it would be the oldest example I've heard of. The thing shows up and despite the shape being correct, it has a hole for an A/B switch... there isn't a switch inside the unit, but you can see the video cord kind of loose through the hole. This doesn't seem right. I have later H6ers with no hole. Why would an early one have it? I want to get a few opinions. This thing wasn't cheap, and I'm not sure if I got scammed.

Taking the pics I just noticed where it was made :roll:

This was an Amazon purchase. The Seller said "Sunnyvale H6er one of the first ever made #5032"

This does not match that description.

h6er5032.jpg

h6er5032-1.jpg

AX

I have about six heavy sixers on my table right now. Some have the channel select hole in the base and some do not. Many of the older switchboards (the ones that have the power regulator in the extended cage type housing) never had a channel select switch, while the newer ones did.

Could be the way it was originally manufactured and shipped as new, or over the years someone swapped the guts with a another unit. I never consider something truly original or mint and serial numbers useless unless I am buying it from the original owner and he/she knows the history of any changes that they did. Of course you have to take their word for it, whether it be true or not. :?: :?:

Edited by Benzman66

I don't know a whole lot about the serial numbers either, but I thought if it was made in Taiwan or wherever, the sticker would say that. This one definitely says Sunnyvale.

It says both... the address first, then made in Taiwan at the bottom. Hence the seller was not specifically deceptive, but isn't as described and I'd either ask to return it or get a discount as it was sold as something it isn't. $74 shipped was too much for what it is.

AX

I don't know a whole lot about the serial numbers either, but I thought if it was made in Taiwan or wherever, the sticker would say that. This one definitely says Sunnyvale.

It says both... the address first, then made in Taiwan at the bottom. Hence the seller was not specifically deceptive, but isn't as described and I'd either ask to return it or get a discount as it was sold as something it isn't. $74 shipped was too much for what it is.

AX

Duh, I didn't see the "made in Taiwan" text that was plainly printed on there. I'm going blind.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have one just like this--my theory was that someone had switched stuff around on it somehow...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/169023-phaxda-for-sale-thread-updated-1217/page__view__findpost__p__2161431

$74 shipped is way too much!

This is my first post so hello. I purchased your Taiwan heavy 6er on Ebay. I was looking for a heavy 6er and your description sounded interesting:

"Tested and working great. Tag says "manufactured in Sunnyvale" and "Made in Taiwan" so I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I have never seen one like it.

Console only."

I knew no one would bid high because of that and it made it sound rarer than a Sunnyvale. I researched it a little before bidding and I have a different theory. I believe all heavy 6rs coming from Sunnyvale is a myth because I have seen others confused about their Made in Taiwan heavy 6er. The usual story is USA=Heavy and Overseas=Light. Why such a jump? Why no transition? Could there be a missing link? I think what most likely happened was at the end of the heavy 6er life there were a few Taiwan heavy 6ers right before the birth of the light 6er. Since they are rarer then both the Sunnyvale heavy 6ers and the light 6ers people believe there was no transition. I could be wrong but an Atari for $34.99 that looks like a heavy 6er and has a mystery behind it is a good deal to me.

This is one of the things I found while researching it: My link

• Like 2

This is my first post so hello. I purchased your Taiwan heavy 6er on Ebay. I was looking for a heavy 6er and your description sounded interesting:

"Tested and working great. Tag says "manufactured in Sunnyvale" and "Made in Taiwan" so I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I have never seen one like it.

Console only."

I knew no one would bid high because of that and it made it sound rarer than a Sunnyvale. I researched it a little before bidding and I have a different theory. I believe all heavy 6rs coming from Sunnyvale is a myth because I have seen others confused about their Made in Taiwan heavy 6er. The usual story is USA=Heavy and Overseas=Light. Why such a jump? Why no transition? Could there be a missing link? I think what most likely happened was at the end of the heavy 6er life there were a few Taiwan heavy 6ers right before the birth of the light 6er. Since they are rarer then both the Sunnyvale heavy 6ers and the light 6ers people believe there was no transition. I could be wrong but an Atari for $34.99 that looks like a heavy 6er and has a mystery behind it is a good deal to me.

It's already a well-known and established fact that some H6er's were made in Taiwan. Likewise, light-sixers weren't just made in Taiwan, some were also made in Sunnyvale. Same with 4-switchers too.

[

Console only."

welcome -

i find your "missing Link" hypothesis interesting. but i still believe the atari is based on intelligent design.

Console only."

It's already a well-known and established fact that some H6er's were made in Taiwan. Likewise, light-sixers weren't just made in Taiwan, some were also made in Sunnyvale. Same with 4-switchers too.

Do you have any links about this fact?

[

Console only."

welcome -

i find your "missing Link" hypothesis interesting. but i still believe the atari is based on intelligent design.

Then how do you explain the 5200 controller?

Console only."

Just search these forums. This myth has been discussed and debunked here numerous times. Moreover, several individuals here actually own Taiwan H6er's and Sunnyvale Lights. ;)

Console only."

Just search these forums. This myth has been discussed and debunked here numerous times. Moreover, several individuals here actually own Taiwan H6er's and Sunnyvale Lights. ;)

I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for. I found enough to establish this fact but I would like a detailed history including how to date a heavy 6er based on it's serial number.

I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for. I found enough to establish this fact but I would like a detailed history including how to date a heavy 6er based on it's serial number.

We would all like to have a detailed history. There are bits and pieces of it here and there, but the complete picture just isn't out there. Obviously, we have enough evidence to debunk the Sunnyvale myth, but dating the H6er's is still just reasoned guesswork. And that's probably all it will ever be.

We would all like to have a detailed history. There are bits and pieces of it here and there, but the complete picture just isn't out there. Obviously, we have enough evidence to debunk the Sunnyvale myth, but dating the H6er's is still just reasoned guesswork. And that's probably all it will ever be.

How does the reasoned guesswork work?

How does the reasoned guesswork work?

The current working theory is that Heavy Sixers (Sunnyvale) were produced in batches of 100,000. Individual units carry stickers on their undersides that are printed with a serial # of the form xxxxxY, where xxxxx is the production # (0-99,999) and Y is the batch letter, starting with E and ending with P on Atari units, and starting with R and ending with V on Sears units. I and O are skipped. E units are believed to be the earliest, with batches becoming progressively younger in alphabetical fashion.

However, this is really just a rough understanding. There are exceptions to this pattern, such as the un-refurbished two-sticker units with original sub-10,000 numbers and no letter suffix. It's unclear where they fit into the picture. Moreover, no suffixed # has been found below 10,000, so the batch sizes are probably smaller than 100,000. Furthermore, some early light sixers carry H6er-form serial numbers.

Lots of speculation here

• Like 1

OK to clear things up. The Taiwan Heavy Sixer came out for about one month. This was during July to mid August. From the numbering scheme, it appears that less than 50,000 Taiwan Heavy Sixers were ever made. If Golden Axe were to open up his Heavy Sixer he will see a manufacturing date on the inside. At the moment there isn't much price difference between a Taiwan Heavy Sixer, and a regular Heavy Sixer, so you can pick one up if you are patient. Just hope they take a picture of the serial number. I am lucky enough to have a Sears Heavy Sixer, a Sunnyvale Atari Heavy Sixer, and a Taiwanese Heavy Sixer. All of which were found in the wild by the way. So whatever, all my bases are covered for the Heavy Sixer. :D :cool:

Oh, and here is a link to a list of Taiwan Heavy Sixers. As you can see the ones with T say July. It looks like they also made the heavy sixer for a couple of weeks in August as well in Taiwan, just not with the T letter.