IGNORED

Odd HEAVY 6er

the.golden.ax

I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for. I found enough to establish this fact but I would like a detailed history including how to date a heavy 6er based on it's serial number.

We would all like to have a detailed history. There are bits and pieces of it here and there, but the complete picture just isn't out there. Obviously, we have enough evidence to debunk the Sunnyvale myth, but dating the H6er's is still just reasoned guesswork. And that's probably all it will ever be.

How does the reasoned guesswork work?

The current working theory is that Heavy Sixers (Sunnyvale) were produced in batches of 100,000. Individual units carry stickers on their undersides that are printed with a serial # of the form xxxxxY, where xxxxx is the production # (0-99,999) and Y is the batch letter, starting with E and ending with P on Atari units, and starting with R and ending with V on Sears units. I and O are skipped. E units are believed to be the earliest, with batches becoming progressively younger in alphabetical fashion.

However, this is really just a rough understanding. There are exceptions to this pattern, such as the un-refurbished two-sticker units with original sub-10,000 numbers and no letter suffix. It's unclear where they fit into the picture. Moreover, no suffixed # has been found below 10,000, so the batch sizes are probably smaller than 100,000. Furthermore, some early light sixers carry H6er-form serial numbers.

Lots of speculation here

Thanks! Mine says T0045896. On the board it says co12173 Rev-1 C 77. I take that to mean revision one and 1977. I'm trying to see if phaxda is correct in his link about the top being a light sixer. I don't see anything modded. The bottom holes line up will all the top holes. All I see is some kind of glue that was used to maybe fix cracked pieces. I wonder if there is any truth to the gap though. I have seen them with the gap and without. Here is one with a gap like mine: My link

What are the differences between a heavy and light top?

OK to clear things up. The Taiwan Heavy Sixer came out for about one month. This was during July to mid August. From the numbering scheme, it appears that less than 50,000 Taiwan Heavy Sixers were ever made. If Golden Axe were to open up his Heavy Sixer he will see a manufacturing date on the inside. At the moment there isn't much price difference between a Taiwan Heavy Sixer, and a regular Heavy Sixer, so you can pick one up if you are patient. Just hope they take a picture of the serial number. I am lucky enough to have a Sears Heavy Sixer, a Sunnyvale Atari Heavy Sixer, and a Taiwanese Heavy Sixer. All of which were found in the wild by the way. So whatever, all my bases are covered for the Heavy Sixer. :D :cool:

Oh, and here is a link to a list of Taiwan Heavy Sixers. As you can see the ones with T say July. It looks like they also made the heavy sixer for a couple of weeks in August as well in Taiwan, just not with the T letter.

So, mine was made in July. Where is the manufacturing date inside? I didn't notice one. 1 in 50,000 sounds rare. I wonder how many of those 50,000 are still functioning.

Thanks! Mine says T0045896. On the board it says co12173 Rev-1 C 77. I take that to mean revision one and 1977.

Maybe, but it's not clear (to me at least) whether there was a single H6er board with multiple revisions, or whether there were several H6er boards (represented by a unique CO#) each with multiple revisions.

OK to clear things up. The Taiwan Heavy Sixer came out for about one month. This was during July to mid August.

Where are you getting your information for the timeline of Tawian H6er production?

Thanks! Mine says T0045896. On the board it says co12173 Rev-1 C 77. I take that to mean revision one and 1977.

Maybe, but it's not clear (to me at least) whether there was a single H6er board with multiple revisions, or whether there were several H6er boards (represented by a unique CO#) each with multiple revisions.

OK to clear things up. The Taiwan Heavy Sixer came out for about one month. This was during July to mid August.

Where are you getting your information for the timeline of Tawian H6er production?

The Heavy Sixer thread. Inside all Tawain Heavy Sixers are made by dates.

Here is the list of people who checked this out.

#81607536 djmips (Dimerco Taiwan, Board is REVB C010433, Shred of paper taped inside is stamped Aug 13 1981)

#T0016436 dpg- Taiwan build date of July 8/1978 on a tag taped to the sheilding inside

#T0028494 pangmaster Taiwan build date of July 15, 1978 on a tag taped to the sheilding inside

#T0030500 Uzumaki Paper tape on RF shield date stamped Jul 19 1978

As you can see all 4 that were checked came within this 1 month and a half time line.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/76656-the-official-heavy-sixer-serial-%23-list/page__view__findpost__p__935860

#81607536 djmips (Dimerco Taiwan, Board is REVB C010433, Shred of paper taped inside is stamped Aug 13 1981)

#T0016436 dpg- Taiwan build date of July 8/1978 on a tag taped to the sheilding inside

#T0028494 pangmaster Taiwan build date of July 15, 1978 on a tag taped to the sheilding inside

As you can see all 4 that were checked came within this 1 month and a half time line.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/76656-the-official-heavy-sixer-serial-%23-list/page__view__findpost__p__935860

Thanks. That's the info I've been going by too. I thought perhaps you had an additional source for this.

Is that 1981 is a typo?

LOL, I meant console wise?

Well I made a detailed video awhile back that goes over everything.

Nice video, homerwannabee. I've only had Telegame consoles. I did not know that about the power supplies being grey or partially grey. Someday, I'd like the get a H6 with the H6 style joysticks.

I never knew it was grey either. But this is supposidly a 2600 ac asdapter and it is grey.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2607342018311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260734201831&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I didn't notice a date on mine. Would they ever be inside the RF shield?

Seeing the controller demonstration had me wondering, since the button on the H6er joystick goes down into the base, would it add to greater hand fatigue while playing? Would people get higher scores on the later joysticks because they didn't have to press the button down as much?

The video was excellent, but should have detailed the hexagonal indent in the top of the H6er rubber stick cover. The H6ers came with "Atari" and "Sears" logo emblems in those hexagonal indents. Hard to find, because many of the logo emblems have fallen out over the years.

Also, would have been good to have taken the light and heavy consoles apart to show the massive RF shield inside the H6er versus the lightweight sheet metal one in the light 6er and 4 switch units.