IGNORED

ADAMEm/SDL 1.8 released

Geoff Oltmans

Hey all:

Due to all the crappy weather we've had around here (7" of snow two days ago and 3" over Christmas!) and some downtime between now and Christmas, I've had the chance to do some fixing to ADAMEm/SDL! Doug Slopsema fixed the project so that it will compile using Visual C++ instead of gnu gcc under MinGW, and a few improvements have been made in the interim:

Powermate IDE emulation has been added

center slot boot roms supported

scale2x support

rudimentary support for MIDIMite apps (just enough to get stuff like SEQuel to start up)

OS X menus and GUI

sound support

Visit my web page to download... let me know what you think. The downloads include the Win32 binary (thanks Doug S) and OS X universal binaries, as well as the source code.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/o/l/oltmansg/adam/adamem.html

I'm somewhat confused as to what it actually does? Just boot to SmartWriter? Or am I doing something wrong? Other than that, it looks (and sounds) great.

Joe B.

Hey all:

Due to all the crappy weather we've had around here (7" of snow two days ago and 3" over Christmas!) and some downtime between now and Christmas, I've had the chance to do some fixing to ADAMEm/SDL! Doug Slopsema fixed the project so that it will compile using Visual C++ instead of gnu gcc under MinGW, and a few improvements have been made in the interim:

Powermate IDE emulation has been added

center slot boot roms supported

scale2x support

rudimentary support for MIDIMite apps (just enough to get stuff like SEQuel to start up)

OS X menus and GUI

sound support

Visit my web page to download... let me know what you think. The downloads include the Win32 binary (thanks Doug S) and OS X universal binaries, as well as the source code.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/o/l/oltmansg/adam/adamem.html

I'm somewhat confused as to what it actually does? Just boot to SmartWriter? Or am I doing something wrong? Other than that, it looks (and sounds) great.

Joe B.

Cut and paste from the coladam mailing list...

ell, there are a few differences between this one and the DOS version. Firstly, the program runs natively under Windows and Mac OS X instead of being run through a dos VM like Dosbox or (if it works for you) the DOS prompt (which Windows 95/XP is a VM itself).

It should support all the command line switches that the DOS program supports if you run it from the command line, including loading cartridge images and disk/ddp images, and then a few extra new ones:

-harddisk <filename> or -hd <filename> will specify the file to use for hard disk emulation.

-exprom or -er <filename> specifies the filename of the slot 2 boot rom. I have successfully used the PM IDE boot rom with this to boot to the hard disk directly

-scale2x or -2x will start the emulator with scale2x turned on. This is a scaling algorithm to smooth out the video at higher resolutions

If no filename is specified for the hard disk file or expansion rom it will look for hdisk.img and exp.rom respectively from the same directly the program is launched in.

For the hard disk image, you need to create a hard disk file from scratch. I don't include a utility for this yet. From a linux or OSX machine you can create one using dd. dd if=/dev/zero of=hdisk.img -count 131072 will create a disk image that's 64MB large. You then have to use the PM IDE setup utilities to partition the file as you would a normal hard drive and load software to it.

Apparently I neglected to include these in the -help output, but they do work from the CLI.

EDIT:

From the OS X version, you can load and detach disk images from the menus, and there is a preferences window you can set several options in. Most of the options in the preferences pane require you to save the changes and reboot at this point. Also, you can automatically load ROM images by double clicking on them in the Finder, and then use game reset to start the game.

Edited by Geoff Oltmans

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

It does not work for playing games console or Coleco ADAM.

What should we put in the command line so I can play a game ADAM or game console Coleco ? example please

now it is limited to the typewriter!

In advance thank you

Bonjour

Ca ne marche pas pour jouer aux jeux de la console coleco ou de l'ADAM.

Que faut il mettre dans la ligne de commande pour que je puisse jouer à un jeu ADAM ou à un jeu de la console COLECO ? exemple s'il vous plait

Hélas pour l'instant ca se limite à la machine à écrire !

D'avance merci

Hello

It does not work for playing games console or Coleco ADAM.

What should we put in the command line so I can play a game ADAM or game console Coleco ? example please

now it is limited to the typewriter!

In advance thank you

Bonjour

Ca ne marche pas pour jouer aux jeux de la console coleco ou de l'ADAM.

Que faut il mettre dans la ligne de commande pour que je puisse jouer à un jeu ADAM ou à un jeu de la console COLECO ? exemple s'il vous plait

Hélas pour l'instant ca se limite à la machine à écrire !

D'avance merci

If I remember correctly, you can use the "-help" command line option to make the emulator display the basic documentation. As far as I know, the command lines are the same as in the older version of the AdamEm emulator.

Geoff, perhaps you should have included a TXT documentation file with your release... :ponder:

Hello and Thanks

Effectively :-help works.

I have other questions:

- how to have the game image is in full screen mode ? ALT ENTER do not like the emulator.

- how do you not see the DOS window?

- What are the keys that correspond to the left and right buttons on the controller to emulate Coleco?

- What are the keys that correpondt the keypad and buttons right and left joystick to emulate ADAM?

- What are the keys that correspond to * and # on the controller.

- how to configure a joystick PS2 in the emulator to play

except to those who seek:

command line is:

adamem -da "path_of_disk" for games on floppy

adamem -ta "path_of_tape" for games on tape

adamem -cv "path_of_CART"

Again, thank you

Bonjour et Merci

Effectivement : -help fonctionne.

J'ai d'autres questions :

- comment faire pour que l'image du jeu soit en mode plein écran ? ALT ENTREE ne plait pas à l'emulateur.

- comment faire pour ne pas voir la fenetre DOS ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent aux boutons droit et gauche de la manette pour l'émulation COLECO ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent au clavier numérique et des boutons droit et gauche de la manette pour l'émulation ADAM ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent à * et # de la manette ?

- comment configurer un joystick PS2 dans l'émulateur pour jouer ?

sinon pour ceux qui chercheraient :

la ligne de commande est :

adamem -da "path_of_disk" pour les jeux sur disquette

adamem -ta "path_of_tape" pour les jeux sur cassette

adamem -cv "path_of_CART"

Encore merci

I retrieve the list of commands Adamem so if it can serve here in the link below

otherwise you do not have the answer to my questions?

j'ai récuperer la liste des commandes de Adamem donc si ca peut servir la voici dans le lien ci dessous

sinon vous n'avez pas la réponse pour mes questions ?

command line arguments ADAMEM

or

list argument command and keyboard

adamem.txt

Edited by bidouiller

hello

I reiterate my request because I need this information to develop a front end to AdamemSDL

Geoff Oltmans, NewColeco, niaD and everyone else really please

I have other questions:

- how to have the game image is in full screen mode ? ALT ENTER do not like the emulator.

- What are the keys that correspond to the left and right buttons on the controller to emulate Coleco?

- What are the keys that correpondt the keypad and buttons right and left joystick to emulate ADAM?

I turn to you because I do not think much about the syntax of the command keys?

I want to know what to put in the string field to set the keypad of the PC compared to a joystick or the Coleco ADAM

-keys <string> - Alter key mappings

You Can use the "keys" to Get the program

Necessary syntax for your favorite key mapping

for example the ENTER key on the PC will be the * key on the paddle.

bonjour

je réitère ma demande car j'ai besoin de ces informations pour développer un front end à AdamemSDL

Geoff Oltmans, NewColeco, Niad et tous les autres vraiment s'il vous plaît

J'ai d'autres questions :

- comment faire pour que l'image du jeu soit en mode plein écran ? ALT ENTREE ne plaît pas à l'emulateur.

- comment faire pour ne pas voir la fenêtre DOS ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent aux boutons droit et gauche de la manette pour l'émulation COLECO ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent au clavier numérique et des boutons droit et gauche de la manette pour l'émulation ADAM ?

- quelles sont les touches du clavier qui correspondent à * et # de la manette ?

- comment configurer un joystick PS2 dans l'émulateur pour jouer ?

Je me tourne vers vous car je ne trouve pas grand chose sur la syntaxe de la commande -keys ?

Je cherche aussi à savoir ce qu'il faut mettre dans le champ string pour programmer les touches du clavier du PC par rapport à une manette de jeu de la COLECO ou d'ADAM

You can use the "keys" program to get the

syntax necessary for your favourite key mapping

par exemple la touche ENTER du PC correspondra à la touche * du paddle.

Edited by bidouiller

hello

I reiterate my request because I need this information to develop a front end to AdamemSDL

Geoff Oltmans, NewColeco, niaD and everyone else really please

I have other questions:

ADAMem SDL for Windows does not let you go into a fullscreen mode yet that I know. You can use the -scale2x to increase the window size or one of the -video switches to change the window size.

There is no way to disable the DOS window yet either that I know. You can always minimize it.

This all depends on what joystick emulation mode switch you use or don't use. The Coleco/ADAM hand controller is mapped as:

directional control = arrow keys or your PC gamepad

fire buttons = CONTROL and ALT keys or your PC gamepad

keypad = keyboard keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,= or numeric keypad 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,DEL,ENTER

Your PC controller/joystick/gamepad is automatically configured by the emulator and you can not change the configuration yet that I know of.

I turn to you because I do not think much about the syntax of the command keys?

I want to know what to put in the string field to set the keypad of the PC compared to a joystick or the Coleco ADAM

You Can use the "keys" to Get the program

Necessary syntax for your favorite key mapping

for example the ENTER key on the PC will be the * key on the paddle.

I haven't played around with the -keys switch, even with the original ADAMem for DOS and I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here, but I hope this is what you want:

Use the -joystick 3 switch. This will assign the PC numeric keypad to be player #1's controller keypad and control will be thru the PC gamepad. Also, player #2 will then use the keyboard arrow keys for movement and the number buttons above the letters as their keypad.

Don't forget, if for some reason your PC gamepad is unresponsive, press F9 to switch from ADAM keyboard emulation mode to Coleco/ADAM hand controller emulation mode.

Edited by NIAD

ADAMem SDL for Windows does not let you go into a fullscreen mode yet that I know. You can use the -scale2x to increase the window size or one of the -video switches to change the window size.

Thank you Niad

Scale2x effectively command allows a game screen much bigger and more video-2

By the command -scale2x is not in the list of commands-documented in -help, then I wonder how you know this command?

Merci Niad

Effectivement la commande -scale2x permet d'avoir un écran de jeu bien plus grand en plus de -video 2

Par contre la commande -scales2x n'est pas dans la liste des commandes documentées dans -help, alors je me demande bien comment tu connais cette commande ?

There is no way to disable the DOS window yet either that I know. You can always minimize it.

I hope the fullscreen option is now expected Adamem finally run Windows natively

j'espère que l'option fullscreen sera prévue maintenant que Adamem enfin tourne sous window nativement

This all depends on what joystick emulation mode switch you use or don't use. The Coleco/ADAM hand controller is mapped as:

directional control = arrow keys or your PC gamepad

fire buttons = CONTROL and ALT keys or your PC gamepad

keypad = keyboard keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,= or numeric keypad 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,DEL,ENTER

I confess that with a keyboard in french I have a little trouble finding the key especially for Adam style games Dragon's Lair.

j'avoue qu'avec un clavier en francais j'ai encore un peu de mal à trouver les touches surtout pour les jeux Adam style Dragon's Lair.

Your PC controller/joystick/gamepad is automatically configured by the emulator and you can not change the configuration yet that I know of.

indeed the joystick on the PS2 is detected, but I wonder where is the button right and left of the joystick Coleco? prior to the round button reacts but I can make one for either the right or left.

effectivement le joystick de la PS2 est détecté, mais je me demande ou se trouve le bouton droite et gauche de la manette COLECO ? à priori le bouton rond réagit mais il m'en manque un pour soit le bouton droit ou gauche.

I haven't played around with the -keys switch, even with the original ADAMem for DOS and I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here, but I hope this is what you want:

Use the [size"5"]-joystick 3[/size] switch. This will assign the PC numeric keypad to be player #1's controller keypad and control will be thru the PC gamepad. Also, player #2 will then use the keyboard arrow keys for movement and the number buttons above the letters as their keypad.

Don't forget, if for some reason your PC gamepad is unresponsive, press F9 to switch from ADAM keyboard emulation mode to Coleco/ADAM hand controller emulation mode.

I hope you find the syntax of the command-keys in order to reassign keys depending on personal habits.

j'espère que tu trouveras la syntaxe de la commande -keys afin de pouvoir réassigner les touches en fonction des habitudes de chacun.

Thousand times thank you for your responses and those to come after there will be more than I myself put a program the front end unless Geoff Oltmans do something.

Milles fois merci pour tes réponses et celles à venir, après y aura plus qu'à je m'y mette a programmer le front end à moins que Geoff Oltmans fasse quelque chose.

Thank you Niad

Scale2x effectively command allows a game screen much bigger and more video-2

By the command -scale2x is not in the list of commands-documented in -help, then I wonder how you know this command?

Merci Niad

Effectivement la commande -scale2x permet d'avoir un écran de jeu bien plus grand en plus de -video 2

Par contre la commande -scales2x n'est pas dans la liste des commandes documentées dans -help, alors je me demande bien comment tu connais cette commande ?

There are a couple other switch commands listed by Geoff in Post #04 of this thread that are not included in the -HELP command.

Oki Niad, I confess that I have difficulty with English and that the more I read the post # 4 in this thread but I had not really understood the value of the command -scale2x and I have not understood the interest of other new orders.

If you could enlighten me, thank you in advance.

Oki Niad, j'avoue que j'ai du mal avec l'anglais et qu'en plus j'avais lu le post #4 de ce thread mais que j'avais pas vraiment compris l'utilité de la commande -scale2x et j'ai pas du tout compris l'interet des autres nouvelles commandes.

Si tu pouvais éclairé ma lanterne, d'avance merci.

source code of Keys ??

Oki Niad, I confess that I have difficulty with English and that the more I read the post # 4 in this thread but I had not really understood the value of the command -scale2x and I have not understood the interest of other new orders.

If you could enlighten me, thank you in advance.

Oki Niad, j'avoue que j'ai du mal avec l'anglais et qu'en plus j'avais lu le post #4 de ce thread mais que j'avais pas vraiment compris l'utilité de la commande -scale2x et j'ai pas du tout compris l'interet des autres nouvelles commandes.

Si tu pouvais éclairé ma lanterne, d'avance merci.

source code of Keys ??

The -harddisk switch is not something to be all that concerned about right now as there is no means to create a hard drive image file unless you actually own an ADAM and a hard drive formatted for use with an ADAM. It will function similarly to running a disk or data pack image, just A LOT larger of course.

The -eprom switch provides support for a boot eprom that could be installed on a 3rd party interface board called the Multi-Purpose Interface 3. This board provided 2 Serial Ports, 1 Parallel Port, Addressing for memory expanders larger than 64K and of course an open socket that one could installed an eprom into that was burnt with the hard drive utility software. Once you turned on the ADAM, the software contained on the eprom would be loaded and the hard drive would be accessible (then if you wanted, you could exit to the SmartWRITER Word Processor or boot other programs from the hard drive). One could also burn other programs onto the eprom and have them boot-up when the ADAM was turned on instead of SmartWRITER.

Geoff has also implemented basic MIDI drivers in order to support the one an only MIDI interface made for the ADAM, the MIDI-MITE. The drivers for it are not complete but will at least allow for the loading of a number of MIDI software programs that were developed by Bonafide Systems for the ADAM.

Thanks a lot for this.

My only criticism is that some sounds don't seem right. The opening in Dragon's Lair shows this problem in the bass notes played. Compare with the old DOS version of AdamEm and you'll notice the difference. The DOS version is pretty much identical to the original computer.

EDIT:

There's also a bug in the Mac version, where changes to emulator settings are not applied until the emulator is shut down and restarted. It's just an extra hassle when switching between Colecovision and Adam modes.

I haven't had time to sit down with ADAMem SDL and really test everything, but hopefully this weekend I'll get that chance now that football season is officially over... yeah, Bears fan. :x

Hello NIAD

So then this weekend has it been successful on the order of Adamem -Keys ?

and thank you for the explanation of other commands.

Eager to read you!

Niad Bonjour

donc alors ce week end a t'il été fructueux sur la commande -Keys d'Adamem ?

et merci pour l'explication des autres commandes.

Impatient de te lire !

source C in adamem ?

Edited by bidouiller

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting this dinosaur for us Mac OS X peeps.

Geoff, if you have an ear to the ground, would you mind posting your latest beta of the Mac version of ADAMem? I used to have it, but now, like your website, it seems to have gone with the wind. I cannot find the OS X version anywhere on the web!

Your efforts are a great resource to this community! :)