IGNORED

ADAMEm/SDL 1.8 released

Geoff Oltmans

MegaCart = bankswitched cartridge PCB. First 16K of ROM is fixed, second block of 16K is bankswitcheable. Allows for 128K, 256K and 512K cartridges (even 1024K but no one has tested it so far). Pac-Man Collection was the first game to use the MegaCart, many of the more recent Team Pixelboy games use it.

Any specifications available on how the bankswitching works? I presume with some combination of read cycles since there's no WR line to the cart port on the CV? Any chance at a sample ROM? ;)

Any specifications available on how the bankswitching works? I presume with some combination of read cycles since there's no WR line to the cart port on the CV? Any chance at a sample ROM? ;)

You should find everything you need here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216354-colecovision-megacart-faq/

And the ROM for Pac-Man Collection is available for download here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/131570-pac-man-collection-colecovision-completed-going-beta-test/?p=2613176

You should find everything you need here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216354-colecovision-megacart-faq/

And the ROM for Pac-Man Collection is available for download here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/131570-pac-man-collection-colecovision-completed-going-beta-test/?p=2613176

Sounds simple enough, and I think the emulator should be easy enough to modify for it.

• Like 2

So you added SGM support to AdamEm? That's nice, but I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you added the extra sound channels that are offered by the SGM? You should know the sound chip in the SGM is an AY-3-8910 (I think...) not a SN76489.

Now does Pac-Man Collection, which uses a MegaCart but does not require the SGM, work with AdamEm? :)

I just tried loading PMC into AdamEm for Mac OS X (2011 Geoff Oltmans release), and it does not load. Standard 32k games can be drag-n-dropped.

I just tried loading PMC into AdamEm for Mac OS X (2011 Geoff Oltmans release), and it does not load. Standard 32k games can be drag-n-dropped.

I've tested Frenzy in AdamEm for MAC OS X (clicking the ADAM red icon and using File-Open) and I cannot select the difficulty level to start game.

How it is done???

You have to hit F9, per the standard AdamEM options. On the Mac, F9 is mapped to fast-forward (for iTunes/media), so please make sure you hit the "fn" key. fn+F9 enables emulation of the Adam num-lock keys to act as controller.

Great! Finally it works.

Thanks! :)

Aside from that, has anyone figured out how to get Super Game dumps to run on AdamEm, (any flavor)?

I found an answer to this and wanted to share. SGM game dumps seem to work in BlueMSX. I have more testing to do, but the ADAM Super Game cartridge conversions worked after I changed the machine configuration parameters. I edited the "ColecoVision with Opcode Memory Extender" configuration:

• removed the [8k] extended mirrored RAM at 6000 - 7FFF
  • added 1k standard RAM at 6000 - 7FFF in its place

Voila!

Any chance of getting copy/paste functionality? Gotta say I'm spoiled on other emulators, being able to compose in a text editor and pasting into BASIC ...so much better.

So far, it runs great on my 2013 iMac with OSX 10.9. No issues, so far. :)

Any chance of getting copy/paste functionality? Gotta say I'm spoiled on other emulators, being able to compose in a text editor and pasting into BASIC ...so much better.

So far, it runs great on my 2013 iMac with OSX 10.9. No issues, so far. :)

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to look into it. :)

Cool :)

There seems to be two different ways that emulators handle this... some are one line at a time, and some you can dump whole listings (like Virtual ][).

Obviously beggars can't be choosers, but I think it is clear what the better approach is.

One thing I noticed: if I leave the emu running in the background for an hour or so, it goes into a "not responding" state and the spinning beach ball appears, needing a Option-Command-Esc to kill it.

One thing I noticed: if I leave the emu running in the background for an hour or so, it goes into a "not responding" state and the spinning beach ball appears, needing a Option-Command-Esc to kill it.

Yes, and also when CTRL + F9 is hit (which is intended to bring up AdamEm options, per original documentation). The Mac OS X version doesn't know how to handle that, it seems.

Yes, and also when CTRL + F9 is hit (which is intended to bring up AdamEm options, per original documentation). The Mac OS X version doesn't know how to handle that, it seems.

It does (sort of), the problem is that if you launch it with the Finder instead of a command line, there's no console to display the options menu (which was all stdin/out).

As far as leaving the emulator running for a long time, does it do this full screen or windowed, or both?

Hi Geoff... I've never tried running full screen, so I guess my answer is "windowed" ;)

Is there documentation anywhere, or just go with the standard Adamem docs?

Thanks again!

To go full screen on the OS X version, use Command-F to toggle between full screen and windowed. Be sure to switch back to windowed mode if you want to switch cartridges or disk images. If you don't, you'll hang the program.

I'm trying to remember what it's mapped to for the Windows version. It's either Alt-Enter or Alt-F I believe.

• 1 month later...

The download link on the first post doesn't seem to work now. Is there an official place to download the files from? I could post the version that I have on AdamCon.org I guess. Also I'm toying with the idea of doing an installer for it so that it has a launcher and so on. Maybe I'm not the right person to do it though.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I've been working on it off and on. Part of my problem has been the development landscapes changing on both the macOS and Windows side. Part of the issue on the Windows side of things was that SDL version 1.2 doesn't build with latest Visual Studio, so that forced me to abandon SDL 1.2 in favor of SDL 2.0. That was a long time coming, so I'm not too torn up about the additional work that created, just gave me an excuse to migrate. There's a couple issues that the migration has caused, but it by and large works the way it did before. I have built binaries for both Windows and macOS, but I need to try and get the diffs consolidated between the two. I can send you a dev build to tinker with and maybe you can help me flesh out any bugs if you're interested (or anyone else for that matter).

• Like 1