IGNORED

Havoc Bug v1.0 - my first bB experience

diogoandrei

Hello there all,

here is my first game/experience with Visual batari Basic. I wrote it in 4 full days (bB fever) in-between Xmas and New Year's eve 2010. Yesterday I took some hours to clean the code a bit and add some comments (rems everywhere) for this post. You'll probably find the code to be a bit disorganized, but I tried my best.

Havoc Bug is just a standard (and really short) shooter: enemies plus one boss. Kill those mutant bugs in Mars and scape to Earth. Power-ups will give you greater fire power. Collect them all (up to three). The game has an end where you will be able to listen to a, uh, pretty dumb-sounding rendition of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. The music itself has nothing to do with the game, I was just playing around to get the feel of the music code. Still not sounding good, sorry. I am already working on a original track for the end.

Suggestions and opinions are welcomed!

Comments on the code itself, does and don'ts would be REALLY GREAT! =)

Enjoy

* I deliberately used free sprites for the taking made by PAC-MAN-RED;

* The "titlescreen.zip" is the titlescreen Kernel folder (originally created by RevEng).

havoc_bug_v1.0.bas

havoc_bug_v1.0.bas.bin

titlescreen.zip

post-28085-12948493514_thumb.png

post-28085-129484935799_thumb.png

post-28085-129484936348_thumb.png

post-28085-129484936873_thumb.png

post-28085-129484937578_thumb.png

post-28085-129484938288_thumb.png

• Like 5

Wow! Nice start. Love the ending music. Ozzy would be proud.

-B

Hey Brian, thanks for playing. It's funny how things go around. I did the game actually listening to Johnny Cash and Tron Legacy soundtrack and ended doing a version of Iron Man(?). Still, I will soon do a song that actually fits the game =)

Cheers

Any plans to expand upon what you have above? Perhaps additional stages/bosses?

-B

Yes, and I'm actually working on it. But it will be a slow process (I am busy as hell). The main ideia is to use flickering to battle different enemies at the same time and work on their behaviors. Havoc Bug is like my bB laboratory, so I'll keep on "researching".

Awesome first effort Diogoandrei! Really great job so far, I'm looking forward to possibly more content and more polish with Havoc Bug!

Thanks Bentley Bear! As I said to Brian O, the game will have some updates in the future.

Very nice work, diogoandrei! :thumbsup:

Thanks RevEng! =)

A 2600 game with a big ass final boss character, Is that a first? Never seen one before that I can recall

The Mega Man homebrew :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146735-mega-man-2600-demo-game-binary/page__view__findpost__p__1787307

Also, Halo 2600 has a double-sized ending boss, I believe.

-B

A 2600 game with a big ass final boss character, Is that a first? Never seen one before that I can recall

The Mega Man homebrew :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146735-mega-man-2600-demo-game-binary/page__view__findpost__p__1787307

Holy hell, that's awesome! I wish the guy would finish it. And yes :D the boss is way too difficult.

Edited by Linndrum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...