IGNORED

Atari 2600 Gorf prototype Coleco

Jordiway73

I have had this cart for about 15 years at least I think I got it at a yard sale I really dont remember. I never really thought about it until I saw the new Turbo game. If I remember right it was like the CBS game but wasnt CBS and Coleco one in the same? I dont have anything to play it on so I really cant tell you too much about it. Is there a known prototype of Gorf?

0702.jpg

Edited by Jordiway73

CBS Electronics (known as Gabriel Electronics before acquisition by CBS) did distribute the Colecovision outside of the US, so you are remembering a connection.

Since the cart has no label, you might want to open it up (being careful of light exposure) and take a picture of the innards.

CBS Electronics (known as Gabriel Electronics before acquisition by CBS) did distribute the Colecovision outside of the US, so you are remembering a connection.

Well, another important connection to make here is that the ColecoVision version of GORF is by Coleco, so to speak, and it is inside a Coleco style shell (albeit colecoVISION). Does this cartridge play on a 2600? Or could it actually be a colecovision board inside that coleco cart shell? Just count the pins on the edge connector and you will know.

Also, don't forget about licensee swaps that happen from time to time. The most common example for instance being Colecovision Popeye. Although released by Parker Brothers, it was originally a Coleco game and would have been released by coleco in a Coleco cart shell. Nintendo was together with Coleco on DK & DK Jr. and Popeye was to be next.

Maybe GORF was to be released by Coleco on the 2600, and at the last minute CBS (which was heavily in bed with Bally/Midway and their arcade to home translations) took possession.

On the other hand, this could just be some industry person's personal bootleg copy of gorf that he put together while working at coleco, or just some pirate bootleg crap made by someone years ago.

Well I agree with the last part

"On the other hand, this could just be some industry person's personal bootleg copy of gorf that he put together while working at coleco, or just some pirate bootleg crap made by someone years ago."

And yes it did work on my coleco atari module when it worked

And there are 12 pins on the cart

Was Gorf released on NTSC? I thought it was only released on PAL

Does pal work on Coleco's atari 2600 module?

Edited by Jordiway73

On the other hand, this could just be some industry person's personal bootleg copy of gorf that he put together while working at coleco, or just some pirate bootleg crap made by someone years ago.

Nail -> Head

Then someone wrote "PROTO" on it later on, to make it more "attractive". Has anyone every seen a prototype that had the word "PROTO" on it? :ponder:

Well, if you've had it for 15 years, I'd say it's likely an :ahoy: or a bootleg copy. If you had only acquired it recently, I'd say it could be possible that the collector before you was familiar with the terminology and wrote 'GORF PROTO' on what might have been just a board that they put in a convenient blank cart, but if you've had it longer than "recently" (in this case meaning perhaps the last 5 years or so?) it's unlikely that this would be the case at all.

Open the case and all will be revealed.... :ponder: :D

Someone with a VCS could have a look at it to see if it's any different (small chance, though).

8)

Well, it is consistent with a CBS production board. Clearly it looks like a regular rom production release. So if it is Gorf, the question becomes why the heck would someone place it into a coleco cart case? And then writing proto on the outside of the cart shell makes no sense to anyone.

After playing around with some extra coleco & CBS cart shells and boards, I can tell you that it makes sense that the owner used all that glue to try and hold the pcb in place. The boards are very similar, but the CBS board does not quite fit snuggly inside the shell and gluing it would provide the hold needed so it would not slip when inserted into a console.

Either way, thanks for sharing with us. You just never know with these things.

If anybody wants it they are welcome to it

If the outside of that cartridge shell is in like-new condition (or can be cleaned up to be), Albert -- the owner of this website -- would like it for one of his current projects. He's selling reproductions of the unreleased Coleco Turbo prototype. White Coleco VCS cart shells are not very easy to obtain in quantity, so he'll take any he can get. The marker in the label area of that shell doesn't matter; it's the rest of it that's important. The glue on the inside shouldn't be a problem as long as there's no damage.

Edited by A.J. Franzman