IGNORED

Sunrise Games For Sale

jblenkle

From what I know, the Silver Box may the boxes used for other system too, the Yellow box were the first releases.... I also recall that only Yellow box were available in my local stores back in the 80s .... except for their latest release: Mountain King

That is a really good point. The yellow boxes clearly identify themselves as being for the Colecovision, while the silver boxes are more generic, are used for multiple systems, and are distinguished by stickers applied to the front.

So, I went to look at the boxes I have. Mountain King (silver) has the Coleco sticker on the front, and the boilerplate on the back makes copyright references to Colecovision, Atari and Atari 5200, C64, IBM PC and PCjr. The yellow boxed games I have, which have Coleco printed on the front, only have the Coleco copyright boilerplate on the back. This makes me think that the yellow boxes came first.

Also, both my Mountain King (silver) and Quest for Quintana Roo (yellow) have Kaybee Toy Store price tags on the front, meaning that at least these were sold commercially.

Yellow boxes were in fact the first released Sunrise titles, then later they did like almost every company were doing at time: Using generic boxes for all system (even Sierra did it among many others)

That's also why there's no Mountain King yellow box since this was their last game for CV (also with their unreleased Number Bumper)

Also, ALL Sunrise boxes (Both Yellow & Silver) were manufactured for the North American market

When Sunrise printed the Silver boxes, it was at the video game crash time.... so I'm pretty sure that's why this Italian guy got bunch of them now

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of this as 'fact'. The generic box argument is interesting, but I'd suggest it's the other way around-- Sunrise was not a HUGE company. It could have made sense to make ONE box for all systems, and add stickers to differentiate between systems with a sticker. I would certainly expect that to be much cheaper than making individual boxes for each system. And then, as they found success, or found they had a surplus, or as printing costs came down, or sales went up, they may have found the yellow boxes for each system became cost effective. Personally, I suspect the yellow came AFTER sunrise gave up and were produced by a company like Telegames who may have been liquidating inventory. Actually, to me, the Yellow boxes look and feel MORE generic and have weaker artwork/design than the silver boxes, but that's just personal preference.

And, of course, I may be wrong on all of this. :)

While we know both yellow and silver exist, I'm yet to see anything that makes this a factual statement, J-F. Yellow may have been the norm in Canada, but Silver is all I saw on store shelves here in St. Louis. Silver at Children's Palace, Silver at ToyRUs... I don't recall seeing them at K*B stores locally, but even if I had, the typical fare at K*B was 'clearance' and post crash in my recollection, so that still wouldn't/doesn't prove anything in my mind.

I also consulted Jason's book, the Classic 80's Identification and Price Guide, and that didn't help at all. :) While in some cases the silver box is 'valued' higher, in others it's the same as the yellow.

Check out an ad-- see what YOU think. :)

http://www.atarimania.com/pubs/hi_res/pub_sunrise.jpg

Edited by Murph74

Okay! Believe it or not, I have already reached (and exceeded) my target quota of 12 copies! Not by much though, but still, that went much quicker than I expected! :)

I could stop here, but how about we use this opportunity to help Max get rid of a little more of his inventory? I have three customers right now, and if anyone else is interested, please send me a PM. The same deal applies: 26$ per game (NOT per case, just to avoid any misunderstanding), and I will pay for shipping from Italy to Canada. Buyers only need to pay for shipping between Montreal (Canada) and their location.

EDIT: An you can buy anywhere between 1 and 5 games, by the way.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 4

Okay! Believe it or not, I have already reached (and exceeded) my target quota of 12 copies! Not by much though, but still, that went much quicker than I expected! :)

I could stop here, but how about we use this opportunity to help Max get rid of a little more of his inventory? I have three customers right now, and if anyone else is interested, please send me a PM. The same deal applies: 26$ per game (NOT per case, just to avoid any misunderstanding), and I will pay for shipping from Italy to Canada. Buyers only need to pay for shipping between Montreal (Canada) and their location.

You are doing a very nice thing for ColecoVision collectors!

A big + 1

Thank You for doing this.

PM sent.

Thank you, and another +1

:)

Okay! Believe it or not, I have already reached (and exceeded) my target quota of 12 copies! Not by much though, but still, that went much quicker than I expected! icon_smile.gif

PM sent.

Thank you, and another +1

icon_smile.gif

Another PM sent, and another +1!icon_thumbsup.gif

Quick update: Max is going on a business trip for a while, and he didn't tell me when he will be back, although from what he told me, I'm assuming it will be for at least a week. I told him to contact me when he gets back.

So it seems I'll be keeping track of Sunrise orders for the next week. :)

• Like 1

Quick update: Max is going on a business trip for a while, and he didn't tell me when he will be back, although from what he told me, I'm assuming it will be for at least a week. I told him to contact me when he gets back.

A big +1 for the service you are providing for ColecoVision enthusiasts!

A big +1 for the service you are providing for ColecoVision enthusiasts!

Thanks. :) I think the price is okay for those games. I just hope no one among those who placed an order for these games believes that he will get 5 games for 26$. It's 26$ per game, for a total of 130$ for 5 games.

Edited by Pixelboy

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of this as 'fact'. The generic box argument is interesting, but I'd suggest it's the other way around-- Sunrise was not a HUGE company. It could have made sense to make ONE box for all systems, and add stickers to differentiate between systems with a sticker. I would certainly expect that to be much cheaper than making individual boxes for each system. And then, as they found success, or found they had a surplus, or as printing costs came down, or sales went up, they may have found the yellow boxes for each system became cost effective. Personally, I suspect the yellow came AFTER sunrise gave up and were produced by a company like Telegames who may have been liquidating inventory. Actually, to me, the Yellow boxes look and feel MORE generic and have weaker artwork/design than the silver boxes, but that's just personal preference.

And, of course, I may be wrong on all of this. :)

While we know both yellow and silver exist, I'm yet to see anything that makes this a factual statement, J-F. Yellow may have been the norm in Canada, but Silver is all I saw on store shelves here in St. Louis. Silver at Children's Palace, Silver at ToyRUs... I don't recall seeing them at K*B stores locally, but even if I had, the typical fare at K*B was 'clearance' and post crash in my recollection, so that still wouldn't/doesn't prove anything in my mind.

I also consulted Jason's book, the Classic 80's Identification and Price Guide, and that didn't help at all. :) While in some cases the silver box is 'valued' higher, in others it's the same as the yellow.

Check out an ad-- see what YOU think. :)

http://www.atarimania.com/pubs/hi_res/pub_sunrise.jpg

The YELLOW box was the original box used by Sunrise Software for all their releases in 1983 (Campaign '84, Gust Buster, Rolloverture and Quest for Quintana Roo). Later, they went with the SILVER box and when Mountain King was released in 1984, it got the SILVER box treatment as they started using the silver boxes for multiple systems and added a sticker to identify the system it was for. Of course, all the earlier games got the SILVER box treatment as well once the YELLOW boxes were all used up... so there would of course have been some overlapping that would confuse the whole issue.

Edited by NIAD

Here's another fact...

IF the Silver boxes were the first one released and the Yellow were the 2nd, How does this guy could have SO MANY NIB Silver releases considering they printed (Sunrise) the Yellow boxes because they were out of Silver? .... That does not make sense at all .... even if it could been possible, but I don't think he would get plenty of..

If I remember it right, the first title they released was, Campaign 84, then followed by, Gust Buster, Quest for Quintanna Roo, Rolloverture and finally, Mountain King

UPDATE: I just got a sixth customer for all five Sunrise games, so that makes a complete set of 6 cases. Thanks for the interest, guys! I appreciate it, and Max appreciates it even more! :D

If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

Edited by Pixelboy

The YELLOW box was the original box used by Sunrise Software for all their releases in 1983 (Campaign '84, Gust Buster, Rolloverture and Quest for Quintana Roo). Later, they went with the SILVER box and when Mountain King was released in 1984, it got the SILVER box treatment as they started using the silver boxes for multiple systems and added a sticker to identify the system it was for. Of course, all the earlier games got the SILVER box treatment as well once the YELLOW boxes were all used up... so there would of course have been some overlapping that would confuse the whole issue.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :) If someone can show me an ad or other verifiable proof that the yellow boxes were first, I'll change my tune and eat crow. But when you look at companies like Classic Game Source still selling yellow boxes, and mind you they are fresh and minty with no yellowing-- odd for a box 25 years old-- to me it seems pretty obvious which ones are the most current releases. Top that with the ad I posted, and Max's assertion that the cases of silver games themselves are verified shipping dates from 1984, I still stand by my opinion that the silver boxes were first.

I'll also concede that it is possible that they started with yellow, went to silver, and then back to yellow-- but I'm convinced that the plethora of yellow box games available today (ebay and other sources) are produced AFTER the silver boxes. But again, I've yet to see PROOF either way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :) If someone can show me an ad or other verifiable proof that the yellow boxes were first, I'll change my tune and eat crow. But when you look at companies like Classic Game Source still selling yellow boxes, and mind you they are fresh and minty with no yellowing-- odd for a box 25 years old-- to me it seems pretty obvious which ones are the most current releases. Top that with the ad I posted, and Max's assertion that the cases of silver games themselves are verified shipping dates from 1984, I still stand by my opinion that the silver boxes were first.

I'll also concede that it is possible that they started with yellow, went to silver, and then back to yellow-- but I'm convinced that the plethora of yellow box games available today (ebay and other sources) are produced AFTER the silver boxes. But again, I've yet to see PROOF either way.

ClassicGameSource is selling "new" yellow Rolloverture but this was also the last yellow box to be release before they switch to Silver box

I don't think you'll ever find New Yellow boxes of Campaign 84, Gust Busters and Quest for Quintana Roo

ClassicGameSource is selling "new" yellow Rolloverture but this was also the last yellow box to be release before they switch to Silver box

I don't think you'll ever find New Yellow boxes of Campaign 84, Gust Busters and Quest for Quintana Roo

Yes, but isn't ClassicGameSource also the same guys who seem to be selling off all the telegames titles that are late-prodcution stuff, too?? That's part of my point here. :) I don't think they switched to silver.. I think the yellow was later in the production run, and my gut tells me the yellow boxes may not have even been used by Sunrise directly, but fabricated by a company like telegames to 'liquidate' remaining stock they acquired.

Also, I've seen Gust Buster out there new in yellow, and have seen pics of Campaign 84 and Quest both in the same minty fresh new yellow boxes. :)

Edited by Murph74

Just to add some oil to the fire :P here's what Max had to say about the yellow/silver debate:

About Sunrise debate, yellow or silver boxes, the silver ones arrived later to the market. I have no knowledge of a european collector that have a yellow box purchased when a child!. Better, we can say for sure yellow boxes never arrived to Europe. Never from Sunrise and never with Telegames. I have a UK Telegames catalog dated 1986 and the Sunrise carts they had were silver.

That comment was part of an e-mail I got from Max earlier today. He said he will contact me next Monday.

All I can go on is personal experience. I was 15 at the time and when the first four Sunrise games were released through the 1983 calendar year and I bought them, the boxes were yellow and the labels of the carts were gold in color. I actually never had a chance to buy Mountain King where I lived (surprising for a big city) and didn't come across this one until a number of years later. When I saw the silver box and grey label, I assumed this was a TeleGames re-release... which it wasn't.

All I can go on is personal experience. I was 15 at the time and when the first four Sunrise games were released through the 1983 calendar year and I bought them, the boxes were yellow and the labels of the carts were gold in color. I actually never had a chance to buy Mountain King where I lived (surprising for a big city) and didn't come across this one until a number of years later. When I saw the silver box and grey label, I assumed this was a TeleGames re-release... which it wasn't.

PM sent Luc...

Sunrise Software, VSS (the company who developed the games published by Sunrise), and Telegames were all closely related and were run by the same people. They were practically all the same company.

The yellow Sunrise boxes came first, but were not widely distributed, and Sunrise's ads (like the one attached below from late '83/early '84) show the yellow boxes. They later switched to the silver boxes after they decided to start developing games for other consoles. (It is no coincidence that Telegames later on continued to use the same style grey/silver packaging.) Mountain King was the last game released by Sunrise for the ColecoVision (it was initially supposed to have been published by CBS) and thusly only exists in a silver box. Quest for Quintana Roo for the Commodore 64 was the last title that Sunrise released for any system (in late 1984) and it came in a silver box.

The idea that the yellow boxes came later has no foundation in reality.

post-9346-129532459189_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think you photoshopped the ad I posted, Pingvin. :)

But seriously, after looking at that ad, compared to the one I found, it does (now, to me) make sense that your yellow box ad was earlier after reading it. The silver box ad updates the compatible systems to include the PC Jr, which had a spring '84 product release I believe. So the yellow box ad appears to be probably from the fall of '83 for the 1984 school year is my guess, and the silver box ad was the follow up (likely *in* 1984 I'd think) to include the IBM PC Jr. and the new boxes.

While I still hadn't seen the Yellow versions as a kid, it's now apparent my hunch was wrong, and so was I! Thanks for the discussion guys... Hope I didn't show my backside too much! Always did love a good mystery! :)

Oh, and I still like the silver boxes better. lol

Okay, at the moment I'm up to 8 customers for Sunrise games. I will accept no more than 3 other customers, otherwise the shipping fees from Italy to Canada will become crazy (if they aren't already).

I'll post a message in the Marketplace about this shortly, just to add a little visibility, because not everyone checks out the CV sub-forum regularly.

Okay, I reached my quota of orders, and in record time no less. :D

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Should I stop now or go for a third group of 6 customers? One thing's for sure, I will not be repeating this group purchase operation after I close it officially. So maybe I should give more people a chance while I can...?

Let's do it this way: Feel free to contact me if you still want in on this little deal, but from this point on, I'm only guaranteeing that I will honor additional orders if I get enough orders to cover 6 groups of 5 games. If I do reach that magic number, then that will be the official end of it. If I don't quite reach this new quota, I'll have a talk with Max and then I'll decide what to do.

(Reminder: 5 games = 130$US) ;)

One more client ordered 2 sets... Down to 4 available sets of 5 Sunrise games... :)

I received a request to know if some kind of arrangement could be made for people in Europe. All I can say at this point is that I'm willing to discuss it with Max (my friend in Italy) the next chance I get. Problem is, Max is pretty busy at the moment, and he travels a lot, so he doesn't have time to handle such a group purchase like I do. I live in Canada, so having the sets shipped from Italy to Canada and then back to Europe is kind of pointless. If I could find someone somewhere in Europe who would be willing to act as "reshipper", perhaps we could organize an extension of this group purchase specifically for european customers... If you live in Europe and are interested in helping with this, send me a PM and we'll discuss the details.