IGNORED

21 Blue

RevEng

I'm starting this thread about my first bB game, 21 Blue, to let those of you who don't frequent the homebrew forums know about it.

On one hand, the game is a bit unusual in that it uses a custom kernel that employs a variation on Cronocolour that would be best described as Cronomono. On the other hand, the actual game logic and bankswitching is pretty much typical bB.

That's it for the plug, but if anybody has any technical questions on the game, feel free to ask away! icon_smile.gif

• Like 2

Thanks abaudrand!

I don't know if it will be in the AA store, as I haven't been in contact with Al about it. I've been wanting to finish the code off completely before I start investigating and contacting people.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to release it... Limited numbered run, perpetual release, boxed, loose, etc.

You're the second person to request a box, so I'll need to investigate the options there!

That was done with bB? Holy holy... For sure you know what you are doing. Awesome work!

Would you mind telling my wife I know what I'm doing? ;)

I know how to write assembly code (hence the custom kernel) but writing the rest of the game in bB kept the blackjack rules easier to read (less chance of bugs, more maintainable) and sped up development time. :thumbsup:

Would you mind telling my wife I know what I'm doing? ;)

I know how to write assembly code (hence the custom kernel) but writing the rest of the game in bB kept the blackjack rules easier to read (less chance of bugs, more maintainable) and sped up development time. :thumbsup:

No problem. And don't worry, I won't mention Petra, nor Suzie, nor Stella =P

Nice, it seems that knowing assembly code is really the way to go! Keep the good work!

Well done! Good blackjack game and a good sense of humor too with the graphics.

Thanks Piggles! I tried to keep it all tongue-in-cheek, and I'm glad it shows.

Consider it three people now to want a box! :) Boxed goodies for me for sure!

Ok, box research it is... should be interesting, though not as enjoyable as the research I did when creating the graphics. :P

Edited by RevEng

Now if only you could get the AtariVox to say some interesting stuff... [in a wall-E voice] such as "Oh bay-beeee hit me" OR "Whoa, you put... it... all... in."

AX

I thought about AtariVox, but unfortunately I don't have one to test with and they haven't been sold for a while... maybe I'll get one in time for my next 2600 game with naked people.

I've just read topic's subtitle! icon_rolling.gif

:D

The famous Strip Poker would be too complicated to port?

IIRC it was written in Basic.

I think it would be possible. A lot of the 21 Blue assembly code could be re-used, though the card display would need to be modified to display the cards' suit.

That said, next time around I'm going to try my hand at something my kids can play with. :)

That's tempting for this game, Ax... I still have about 2 spare pages of memory. The driver should fit in one, and the other could hold the data. Not sure how much speech can fit in a page.

Let me research it a bit and get back to you!

I managed to squeeze and eliminate a bunch of code in the last bank, and put in initial support for AtariVox. The only two sounds in the code right now are the "silence" sound and one of the test sounds, though it looks like I still have room for the gettysburg address.

Of course, I have no idea if it works at this point... I'm going to try to get an AtariVox of my own, as it would be too painful to send a loaner Vox back to AX. :D

If it works out, I'll write up some docs on how to use the voice function with bB!

Edited by RevEng

That's tempting for this game, Ax... I still have about 2 spare pages of memory. The driver should fit in one, and the other could hold the data. Not sure how much speech can fit in a page.

Let me research it a bit and get back to you!

I managed to squeeze and eliminate a bunch of code in the last bank, and put in initial support for AtariVox. The only two sounds in the code right now are the "silence" sound and one of the test sounds, though it looks like I still have room for the gettysburg address.

Of course, I have no idea if it works at this point... I'm going to try to get an AtariVox of my own, as it would be too painful to send a loaner Vox back to AX. :D

If it works out, I'll write up some docs on how to use the voice function with bB!

Hey just let me know. I wouldn't miss my classic Vox proto for a great while, it's not used for anything other than being cool. I've got a regular production unit and 25 of the Vox2 (24 are pre-sold) so really I'm good if you need one to play with.

AX

Box, docs, and cart for me!!

Sounds good! :)

icon_lust.gif

And AtariAge must produce AtariVox again!

I totally agree!

The voice function seems really easy to program for, thanks to Alex Herbert's driver. I can easily see it going into a lot of new homebrews, if there was availability.

AX might even finally get his 2600 Speak and Spell. :)

Hey just let me know. I wouldn't miss my classic Vox proto for a great while, it's not used for anything other than being cool. I've got a regular production unit and 25 of the Vox2 (24 are pre-sold) so really I'm good if you need one to play with.

AX

Totally appreciated, AX! And I'm not saying no; I'm just seeing if I can own one first before we go through the cross-border shipping dance.

I pinged Al to see if he has an idea on the future status. I have no clue if he has stock from mos6507's initial work, or if he's made alternative plans with Richard H. I'd even take it as a kit, if mos wants to recoup his investment in parts.

I pinged Al to see if he has an idea on the future status. I have no clue if he has stock from mos6507's initial work, or if he's made alternative plans with Richard H. I'd even take it as a kit, if mos wants to recoup his investment in parts.

AFAIK Albert has no stock at all. I think Glenn is going to distribute the units he's made. After that, with Glenn out of the hobby, the AtariVox may die :sad:

AFAIK Albert has no stock at all. I think Glenn is going to distribute the units he's made. After that, with Glenn out of the hobby, the AtariVox may die :sad:

Ouch! Consider me one of the many that don't want to see that happen.

I'm a bit unsure of exactly what the agreement between you and Glenn was... Is it ok to ask him if he wants to sell his unused parts loose? Failing that, would you be willing to allow you design to be made elsewhere, or sold in kits? What are the alternatives?

I'm a bit unsure of exactly what the agreement between you and Glenn was...

Glenn offered to take over production from Albert (who took over production from me). I have no time to make them. Albert won't have time either, what with his arcade etc.

We need someone new to take it over.

Is it ok to ask him if he wants to sell his unused parts loose?

Yes, of course

would you be willing to allow you design to be made elsewhere, or sold in kits?

Yes, anyone can have it, I'm not bothered.

It's not a complex circuit. It's basically the SpeakJet chip, an amp, some filtering and the EEPROM.

The AVox 2 PCB does have a microcontroller on-board for the VecVoice / VecVox modes though. But that is purely optional. The unit will work as a stand-a-lone AtariVox without it.