IGNORED

CTetris4f (Final) & CTetris4g (Post-Final) Released

atx4us

* CTetris4f by Hayden Doan - July 27, 2010 *

(Final Version)

INTRODUCTION:

Wow! I finished a program. And to celebrate, I'm releasing the source code to hopefully inspire others to learn the excellent Atari Action! language as well as to make modifications and improvements to the CTetris4 program in areas such as graphics (NRV - Tetris graphics demo) and music (Raster - RMT). Taking my own challenge to task, I added a few modifications of my own to the Post-Final CTetris4g release. So, please also take a look and let me know what you think.

All of the AtariAge members who gave me great program suggestions and support. This release may never have happened if it weren't for Fandal who expressed his continued interest in CTetris4.

What's New in CTetris4f:

> Main loop has been optimized for even smoother response.

> Added joystick user configurable options (See CONTROLS below).

If a joystick is used to select the game options,

the program will automatically detect the joystick

and prompt the user of additional joystick options.

> Action! source code released.

EMULATOR NOTES: (Recommended Atari800Win PLus 4.0 Settings)

> Turn off Auto-Fire on joystick Fire Button.

> Turn off "Allow using keyset keys also as regular keys"

-> In the Advanced Joystick Options dialog box.

CONTROLS <New>:

> Joystick "Fire" Button is now user configurable as 'Rotate' or 'Hard Drop'

> Joystick "Down" is now user configurable as 'Hard Drop' or 'Soft Drop'

Controls Summary:

Move Left - Keyboard: 'Left' | Joystick: Left

Move Right - Keyboard: 'Right' | Joystick: Right

Rotate - Keyboard: 'Up' | Joystick: Up

SoftDrop - Keyboard: 'Down' | Joystick: Down (Configurable as 'Hard Drop' or 'Soft Drop')

HardDrop - Keyboard: 'Space' | Joystick: Fire Button (configurable as 'Rotate' or 'Hard Drop')

| Joystick: <Down & Fire Button> (at the same time)

Pause - Keyboard: 'P', 'Esc' (Toggles Pause mode)

Next - Keyboard: 'N' (Toggles display of next block)

Quit - Keyboard: 'Q'

Drop Sound - Keyboard: 'D' (Toggles Object Drop Sound on/off)

Sound Effects - Keyboard: 'E' (Toggles Sound Effects on/off. A 'chirp' sound indicates Sound Effects are 'on').

Background Music - Keyboard: 'M' (Toggles Background Music on/off.)

Notes (for Controls):

1) The Default Sound settings are: Music ('on'), Sound Effects ('on'), and Drop Sound ('off').

2) Setting Music 'off' will also turn Drop Sound & Sound Effects back to 'on'. You can still use the "D" and "E" keys to set your sound effects preferences.

3) The user input cursor now will wrap around from end to end (instead of remaining at the end positions).

4) The "Next" object window is defaulted to 'on'. Use the "N" key to toggle the "Next" object display window on/off.

Have Fun!

Hayden

*****************************************************************************************************************

If you want to post these programs on your own websites, please only post a link to this forum thread so that the programs will only be downloaded from here. This will allow me to see the actual level of download activities and interest for these programs. Thanks!

*****************************************************************************************************************

CTetris4f.zip

Ctetris4f_Source.zip

-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

* CTetris4g by Hayden Doan - January 11, 2011 *

(Post-Final Version G - Gold Edition)

INTRODUCTION:

After completing the CTetris4f Final Version, I still had some ideas and improvements that I wanted to implement. So, I started working on this CTetris4g Post-Final version.

All of the AtariAge members who gave me great program suggestions and support. Special thanks to Fandal for his custom fonts and rotate auto-repeat suggestions and for sending me a copy of the Font Maker program, and to therealbountybob for his suggestion of the high scores (of course!) save feature.

What's New in CTetris4g:

> Added High Scores save feature. High scores will automatically be saved to disk once the player enter his/her initials for a new high score.

> Added Custom fonts support. The font (.fnt) files are in the Font Maker format.

> Added Atari Fuji logo on the game screen. Since Tetris is a puzzle game, I have a small challenge for you to recreate the scrolling rainbow effect as in the sample screen in the CTetris4g program. Kudos to the person who can post the solution first on this forum thread. Hint - It's not that hard. So think easy and no disassembly cheating please.

> Added Ultra-Fast Hard Drop. You can check it out by slowing the emulator way down to see the hard drop difference compared to the previous versions.

> Added joystick user configurable options (See CONTROLS below). If a joystick is used to select the game options, the program will automatically detect the joystick and prompt the user of additional joystick options.

EMULATOR NOTES: (Recommended Atari800Win PLus 4.0 Settings)

> Turn off Auto-Fire on joystick Fire Button.

> Turn off "Allow using keyset keys also as regular keys"

-> In the Advanced Joystick Options dialog box.

CONTROLS <New>:

> Joystick "Fire" Button is now user configurable as 'Rotate' or 'Hard Drop'

> Joystick "Down" is now user configurable as 'Hard Drop' or 'Soft Drop'

> Joystick Object "Rotate" is now user configurable as 'Single' or 'Auto-Repeat'

Controls Summary:

Move Left - Keyboard: 'Left' | Joystick: Left

Move Right - Keyboard: 'Right' | Joystick: Right

Rotate - Keyboard: 'Up' | Joystick: Up

SoftDrop - Keyboard: 'Down' | Joystick: Down (Configurable as 'Hard Drop' or 'Soft Drop')

HardDrop - Keyboard: 'Space' | Joystick: Fire Button (configurable as 'Rotate' or 'Hard Drop')

| Joystick: <Down & Fire Button> (at the same time)

Pause - Keyboard: 'P', 'Esc' (Toggles Pause mode)

Next - Keyboard: 'N' (Toggles display of next block)

Quit - Keyboard: 'Q'

Drop Sound - Keyboard: 'D' (Toggles Object Drop Sound on/off)

Sound Effects - Keyboard: 'E' (Toggles Sound Effects on/off. A 'chirp' sound indicates Sound Effects are 'on').

Background Music - Keyboard: 'M' (Toggles Background Music on/off.)

Notes (for Controls):

1) The Default Sound settings are: Music ('on'), Sound Effects ('on'), and Drop Sound ('off').

2) Setting Music 'off' will also turn Drop Sound & Sound Effects back to 'on'. You can still use the "D" and "E" keys to set your sound effects preferences.

3) The user input cursor now will wrap around from end to end (instead of remaining at the end positions).

4) The "Next" object window is defaulted to 'on'. Use the "N" key to toggle the "Next" object display window on/off.

Have Fun!

Hayden

If you want to post these programs on your own websites, please only post a link to this forum thread so that the programs will only be downloaded from here. This will allow me to see the actual level of download activities and interest for these programs. Thanks!

CTetris4g.zip

post-22778-129540837198_thumb.png

• Like 2

good work, excellent playability, and nice the way the music plods along, then as you progress speeds up to match the increase in difficulty, i had a go and thought this should be in the high score club, quite a challenging little game, i scores six an half grand before being over-run! nice!!

I get "unsupported format" message with CTetris4g .atr image (Altirra).

Attached ATR is XFD image actually.

F.

Thank you.

Yes, it is an .xfd image and not .atr.

If I rename it to .xfd it works perfectly with Altirra.

I think author should change image's extension from .atr to .xfd or make an .atr image (the most common A8 disk's image format).

I get "unsupported format" message with CTetris4g .atr image (Altirra).

Attached ATR is XFD image actually.

F.

Thank you.

Yes, it is an .xfd image and not .atr.

If I rename it to .xfd it works perfectly with Altirra.

I think author should change image's extension from .atr to .xfd or make an .atr image (the most common A8 disk's image format).

No problem. I almost forgot about the .xfd image file format since the .atr format has been so ubiquitous. Thanks for pointing this issue out. I want to wait a little longer to see if there will be other issues reported before I upload a general update.

Was going to say "You can't touch this" but revised that down to 99% as I think I found a little bug - after your score has saved the main melody dissapears!

This is a fantastic game, one of the very best Tetrises (Tetri?) out there, esp now we have selectable controls - (Hard drop down and button to rotate :love: ) I got to level 9 and had a couple of goes afterwards on the other settings. Controls are spot on. Nice touches on the menus, high-score table etc. Perhaps the build up of the logo could drop the grid down a line or random number (1-4) lines as well as being for the rainbow mode :ponder:

(Played on 130XE/1050 PAL).

Rename the ATR to XFD for it to work with APE too folks.

Great work Hayden :thumbsup: :!:

I'd already suggested this for the HSC (again) will see if I can stack the vote soon, get practising folks ;)

13,489 post-19705-129547532642_thumb.jpg

Was going to say "You can't touch this" but revised that down to 99% as I think I found a little bug - after your score has saved the main melody dissapears!

This is a fantastic game, one of the very best Tetrises (Tetri?) out there, esp now we have selectable controls - (Hard drop down and button to rotate :love: ) I got to level 9 and had a couple of goes afterwards on the other settings. Controls are spot on. Nice touches on the menus, high-score table etc. Perhaps the build up of the logo could drop the grid down a line or random number (1-4) lines as well as being for the rainbow mode :ponder:

(Played on 130XE/1050 PAL).

Rename the ATR to XFD for it to work with APE too folks.

Great work Hayden :thumbsup: :!:

I'd already suggested this for the HSC (again) will see if I can stack the vote soon, get practising folks ;)

13,489 post-19705-129547532642_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedbacks. A score of 13,489 - Now that's concentration power and a hard one to beat!

Just in case anyone didn't know, Hard Drops yields many more points than the Soft Drops where you'll lose one point for each drop from the maximum possible points at each level.

Also, I haven't seen a posting for the Atari scrolling "Rainbow" effect solution yet. Has anyone figured out this challenge yet?

Therealbountybob is right. You must initialize Pokey on real HW after disk operations using this construction:

LDA #$00

STA $D208

LDA #$03

STA $D20F

F.

Therealbountybob is right. You must initialize Pokey on real HW after disk operations using this construction:

LDA #$00

STA $D208

LDA #$03

STA $D20F

F.

Thanks for the helpful tip/fix. I'm going to wait for just a little while to see if any other issues get reported before I sending out another release.

LDA #$00

STA $D208

LDA #$03

STA $D20F

F.

Thanks for the helpful tip/fix. I'm going to wait for just a little while to see if any other issues get reported before I sending out another release.

*** CTetris4G-R1 Released ***

> Fixed .atr file format (instead of .xfd)

> Fixed sound issue after high score saves

> Tested "OK" on Real Atari 800 and popular Atari 800 emulators

> Game will crash during HS save on Altirra 1.8

SCORING (Summary):

Maximum possible points for each block:

-------------------------------------------------

|Levels | 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9|

|Points | 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42|

One point is subtracted for each timed drop (Beep) and also for each SoftDrop. Therefore, the sooner you HardDrop the blocks into place, the more points you'll get for that block.

Bonus Points:

When three or four lines are connected at one time, you will hear chime sounds counting the number of connected lines and receive the following Bonus Points:

Three Lines - 50+50+50 = 150 Bonus Points

Four Lines - 50+50+50+100 = 250 Bonus Points

Level Changes:

|Levels | 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9|

|Lines | 0 10 10 10 15 15 15 20 20 20|

The number of connected lines needed for the next game level is displayed within the "[ ]" brackets.

CTetris4G-R1.zip

• Like 1

Did a quick play, starting at level 0. I got up to level 6 with a score of 6516 and then it was was "game over" for me. At that point a "move stick or hit any key to continue" message appears but nothing happens. No high score screen, no restart, just nothing.

This is on old Atari800Win PLus 4.0. Didn't try on other config (I usually don't use emulators).

edit: typo

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

Has the scoring changed in the last version? Just tried it once with trying to wipe out mostly 4 lines at once to get bonuses but did only 14,969.

No, scoring has not been changed. I only posted the scoring summary just in case no one knew or remembered. Apparently you did manage to get pass ~6500 points that Fox-1 had issues with.

Did a quick play, starting at level 0. I got up to level 6 with a score of 6516 and then it was was "game over" for me. At that point a "move stick or hit any key to continue" message appears but nothing happens. No high score screen, no restart, just nothing.

This is on old Atari800Win PLus 4.0. Didn't try on other config (I usually don't use emulators).

edit: typo

I encountered this issue on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system with Atari800Win PLus 4.0. But, it seems to run fine on a Windows XP system. Does anyone know if there is an incompatibility issue with Atari800Win PLus 4.0 on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

• 2 months later...

"I encountered this issue on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system with Atari800Win PLus 4.0. But, it seems to run fine on a Windows XP system. Does anyone know if there is an incompatibility issue with Atari800Win PLus 4.0 on Windows 7 (64-bit)?"

Quick update - Atari800Win PLus 4.0 is running fine on my Windows 7 (64-bit) system. I had a few things configured incorrectly.

Edited by atx4us

" *** CTetris4G-R1 Released ***

> Fixed .atr file format (instead of .xfd)

> Fixed sound issue after high score saves

> Tested "OK" on Real Atari 800 and popular Atari 800 emulators

> Game will crash during HS save on Altirra 1.8 "

Another quick update - I received information from a very reliable source (the Altirra author, phaeron) about the crash issue on Altirra 1.8.

Here's what phaeron wrote, "the program crashes if it hits errors writing to the disk. Altirra mounts disk images as read-only by default. Mounting the disk as read-only in Atari800WinPlus 4.0 also causes the same crash after entering high score initials."

I checked this out by using Alt+Shift+D to go to the disk drives menu. The disk image was mounted as R/O (Read-only) by default. I changed it to R/W (Read-write) and CTetris4G-R1 really likes Altirra 1.8 now! I also selected the "Authentic NTSC" (System>Video>Adjust Colors>Load Preset) as my color palette preference.

Last but certainly not least, thanks to phaeron for his help on this issue.

Hayden

• 3 weeks later...