IGNORED

Testing 320 mode with Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Thanks for that, The Galaxer - I figured out what it was.

That version of ProSystem has an issue with the 'Random' function of the Pokey. For some reason it keeps returning the same number. Now, when you eat an energizer, it starts making random direction choices for the monsters. If the direction it picks has a wall there, it tries again. Being that ProSystem keeps picking the same number for the Pokey's 'Random', it gets stuck in an infinite loop - picking the same number and finding a wall in that direction for the monster.

I (temporarily) changed the function to always use the 'non-pokey' version of the random number generator - it works now.

Bob

Pac320Pokey.A78

hmmm... doesn't happen to me. In ProSystem or MESS, or the last time I tried it on the real thing. :( Just tried MESS and ProSystem again, will try the real thing again when I get home from work.

I really think this is an awesome accomplishment for the 7800, because I was always disappointed that the "arcade-quality" system was the same (disappointing) resolution of my previous systems and home computers. The non-transparent bounding box is a disappointment to me, being a pretty sad system limitation. I seem to remember a post where it was a give or take situation -- either non-transparent background or less colors. I got to wondering... Would it be possible to limit the number of colors per sprite to allow transparencies and overlap sprites (like in the 5200/8-bit Ms Pac-Man) to get more colors, and keep the higher resolution.

I am not exactly sure how the colors are distributed on the Maria chip. I am coming from the assumption that each sprite could still have its own unique color (like the 8-bit or C-64), but I realize that may not be the case. I also realize that it could slow down gameplay, moving multiple objects. I am not necessarily suggesting it for this project, as I know you're getting tired of Pac-Man hacks. It's awesome you went this far with the project! I just thought it could be a possible work around for the limits of the system. I thought it was kind of going back to the old way (previous 8-bit) way of doing things without the same flicker issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys:

I think I finally found the memory bug mentioned earlier (and in the Ms. Pac-Man 320 thread). There were too many thing happening at each frame, and I believe sometimes it would get overrun. I removed the interrupts at each zone, and only left the ones at the top and bottom of the screen.

This means that the colors in the attract mode are no longer there, so I had to use the actual sprites for the introduction screen. This in turn means that after the monsters are introduced, they disappear to be used in the run scene below.

Enjoy!

Pac320.A78

Pac320.bin

Pac320P.A78

Pac320P.bin

Pac320Pokey.A78

Awesome!!! Is it supposed to always be Hangly-Man? It always is in Prosystem. Are there any pre-orders coming? ;)

I think that is the same problem with the original Pacman hack. Prosystems left and right difficulty swiches are not sticky, so if you don't have the right swtch pressed (F5) when you start, and probably when it advances levels, it will default to Hangly man. Try holding down F5 and then press F2 - my guess is it will be regular Pacman.

-Jeff

After I complete a level, it changes back to Hangly... Prosystem is so buggy!

Make sure you hold F5 down before completing the level and hold it down until it loads. I think Bob added a workaround for this is a later release to work with ProSystem, but it may have regressed back into the 320 versions.

-Jeff

This is funny; I found that I could use my arcade pattern (for the apple through the 9th key) with a slight modification at the end. Some of the monsters are in different places during the patters, but it still works. :)

Made some final modifications - Flashing screen at the end of a rack, and the monster's animation when they catch the player. Final bins below.

Also...

I will be making some of these, if anyone wants them. Please let me know here if you do, and I'll tally at the end to see if it's enough to be worth it. $25 + shipping.

Thanks,

Bob

I'll take a copy too.

Hello, I would like all carts. super circus, pac man, ms pac man as well, once we all get our xm's.

These games are great!!

One thing I did notice on prosystem on pac man, when you select the levels, it shows double the fruit on the rhs lower of the screen, is that just a fault with prosystem? So when you switch the difficulty switches it will change the maze type? Will that be on the cart final release as well or is that another prosystem bug.

I have found now prosystem centres the playfield, previous versions when I went off the screen I could not see where pac man was?

One other thing, is it supposed to be that hard, I can just get past the first board it takes up all my lives.. But then again I have always been the worst player ever at pac man, but great at any other game.

Hello, I would like all carts. super circus, pac man, ms pac man as well, once we all get our xm's.

These games are great!!

One thing I did notice on prosystem on pac man, when you select the levels, it shows double the fruit on the rhs lower of the screen, is that just a fault with prosystem? So when you switch the difficulty switches it will change the maze type? Will that be on the cart final release as well or is that another prosystem bug.

Have you ever played to at least round 5 on the arcade Pac-Man? The round fruits are:

1:cherry

2:swrawberry

3:orange

4:2nd orange

5:apple

6:2nd apple

7:melon

8:2nd melon

9:galaxian

10:2nd galaxian

11:bell

12:2nd bell

13-255:key

The maze change is made to be New-Puck-X which is an old arcade hack. It's supposed to be there.

Edited by Jr. Pac

These games are great!!

Have you ever played to at least round 5 on the arcade Pac-Man? The round fruits are:

1:cherry

2:swrawberry

3:orange

4:2nd orange

5:apple

6:2nd apple

7:melon

8:2nd melon

9:galaxian

10:2nd galaxian

11:bell

12:2nd bell

13-255:key

The maze change is made to be New-Puck-X which is an old arcade hack. It's supposed to be there.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, cant remeber playing pac man arcade been over 20 years, I dont go to arcades anymore and dont own any arcade machines so I would not know from experience.