IGNORED

"Tiles" COMPUTE! Magazine program conversion

OLD CS1

Took a little work and some slight-of-hand to introduce proper delays and a little input de-bounce. Here is a test EA5 of the compiled program. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I will polish it up a little over time as needed.

I just noticed it is slightly over 8k. Not sure how I can trim that down any as it is already pretty well bummed.

(I just found I put a delay outside of the game loop so switching between players there is no delay. I will put up an update shortly.)

I introduced this short routine to help with the really fast input detection.

//
// Wait Key-Up
//
// Introduce a "de-bounce" to wait until the last key pressed is released
// or a short repeat delay expires.
WaitNoKeyPress:
J=150
CheckForDebounce:
CALL KEY(0,K,S) :: IF S AND J THEN J=J-1 :: GOTO CheckForDebounce ELSE RETURN

Attached is a second test EA5 of the compiled game with the player switching delay inside the game loop.

(My little routine works but it does not slow down joystick detection. I will have to put a little more thought into that.)

TILESXB2-E.BIN

Dunno what to tell you on that. I have the file in the DSK1 directory for Classic99 and run it from E/A just fine. I will try putting it on a DSK image for you shortly.

Here, I just put the file into the original disk image.

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. A setting in Classic99 for the compiler, perhaps. When I try to load it from FIAD using the settings for Harry's compiler it works, but when I try loading it from the DSK image, error 7. Bear with me.

I cannot figure out what to do to fix the file and I do not have time to figure it out right now. If the file is saved in a FIAD disk directory and the CRCs are the same, but only the file in the XB Compiler directory works. Maybe there are other files the EA5 file needs to load?

Updated DSK image. This one is tested to work. I did two things: first I mixed up different versions of the compile, secondly I used TIImageTool to copy the file into the image and it exactly copied the file including the TIFILES header.

EA5 file: TILESXB2-E

TILES.dsk

• Like 2

I tried creating a cartridge image but it came out to 24k and does not seem to work for me. Anyone who has experience converting EA5 to cartridge I would appreciate a pointer.

I have noticed a couple of more things I would like to adjust before making a final cartridge image.

I tried creating a cartridge image but it came out to 24k and does not seem to work for me. Anyone who has experience converting EA5 to cartridge I would appreciate a pointer.

I have noticed a couple of more things I would like to adjust before making a final cartridge image.

did you use fred's modulemaker?

http://www.ti99-geek.nl

Modules then look for module maker

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I see why I could not find it: it is "module creator." In any case I am not getting any closer and more frustrated by this error:

File does't have a correct V9T9 program file header

Both files have TIFILES headers.

I just ran the compiler in Classic99 again with V9T9 headers turned on, and used shorter file names to accommodate commensurate restrictions.

Here is the result. I will create another build later as there are some adjustments I want to make but I have to focus my time on a looming deadline.

TILES_8.bin

Deadline passed, work is completed, now on to the ongoing support mode.

Now, for Tiles, the last cartridge image release will address:

1) Application of similar joystick delay as key press delay

2) Place a key press delay at the "number of players" prompt

3) ...

4) Cartridge label

I will work on these over the next few days and call this a complete package: cassette and disk in BASIC and Extended BASIC, and cartridge release.

I have updated the keyboard repeat routine to include joystick. The joystick repeat winds up being much slower than the keyboard repeat but at least this way it is controllable, including prevention of accidental double-taps on incorrect squares.

I would appreciate if someone will try this out and make sure it plays as expected: key repeat and wait delays in all proper places, and no accidental entries from normal control use.

TILES_8.bin

• Like 5